Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Grafton Welcome Wagon  (Read 47448 times)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
Re: Grafton Welcome Wagon
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 01:33:48 pm »

Picnic on July 12 from noon til 4pm

to welcome Floridian and his family
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=18142.0
they will be stopping by midday

the rest of us will be lounging around, eating, and possibly playing some sports
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Alex Free Market

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 01:44:57 pm »

Me thinks I was deceived.    Whoever said that Grafton had an actual town "with stuff in it," must have been embellishing a tad, or taking major license with what I meant by "stuff in it."  (I talked to a bunch of Grafton residents this Porcfest, who encouraged me to come down and see all there was to see.)

I drove all the way there, to be greeted by an overly large white town hall who's size didn't really seem to correlate with the type of town.  It looked residential, for the most part.... but I didn't really see any "town," per se'.  It is obviously a town, but there was no town.   

** Considers scratching Grafton off my list of possibles **

Actually, I don't mind rural...  It was what I was looking at anyway.... but feel quite disappointed, because it seemed to be nothing like what people have told me it was for years.  It wasn't even particularly scenic (putting it diplomatically). 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:46:50 pm by Alex Free Market »
It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice, if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or so incoherent that they cannot be understood; if they be repealed or revised before they are promulgated, or undergo such incessant changes that no man, who knows what the law is to-day, can guess what it will be to-morrow. - James Madison, The Federalist No. 62

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 04:41:33 pm »

Me thinks I was deceived.    Whoever said that Grafton had an actual town "with stuff in it," must have been embellishing a tad, or taking major license with what I meant by "stuff in it."  (I talked to a bunch of Grafton residents this Porcfest, who encouraged me to come down and see all there was to see.)

I drove all the way there, to be greeted by an overly large white town hall who's size didn't really seem to correlate with the type of town.  It looked residential, for the most part.... but I didn't really see any "town," per se'.  It is obviously a town, but there was no town.   

Actually, I don't mind rural...  It was what I was looking at anyway.... but feel quite disappointed, because it seemed to be nothing like what people have told me it was for years.  It wasn't even particularly scenic (putting it diplomatically). 

Someone told you Grafton had a town center?

You do know that stuff like “the Grafton mall” and similar was meant as a joke, right?

lloydbob1

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 05:16:48 pm »

The Grafton Mall (Don't trip over the dog!) is the Retail Center. A few hundred yards West is the Civic Center with Town Offices, Post Office and Fire Station and a mile or so west of that the Town Center with the big white church, Town Green and one of the town's many cemeteries.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 06:30:24 pm »

When I visited Grafton, the biggest thing there was a gas station/mini mart.  The second biggest thing was the VFD.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

TEBON

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 07:42:20 pm »

the pretty mountains are big

lloydbob1

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2009, 08:41:15 pm »

Not after driving thru the mountains on the way to Porcfest, but, they are everywhere!

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 04:15:24 am »

sorry for not seeing new posts to this thread ... we have been busy outside for the last week or so

I would tell someone that is visiting .... yes Grafton is a town (since almost everything in NH has been claimed by some government) .... no Grafton does not have stuff in it .... but sometimes it has keith and stuph in it
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 04:19:49 am »

I drove all the way there, to be greeted by an overly large white town hall who's size didn't really seem to correlate with the type of town.

you saw the fire department ... i think they vote there too
you did not see the small town hall, which hardly gets used ... John C. does yoga there every week
i think you should scratch it off the list, since it was not what you were hoping for.
i like the way it looks here, it does not have great mountains or anything, but we have some nice views here and plenty of trees

BTW .... anyone that visits Grafton should stop by the Hoyt farm

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 04:22:53 am »

Picnic on July 12 from noon til 4pm

to welcome Floridian and his family
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=18142.0
they will be stopping by midday

the rest of us will be lounging around, eating, and possibly playing some sports

We are looking forward to it!
And here is my gift to Grafton in appreciation for your hospitality:  www.frisbrews.com
John McCabe
based on the  weather ... it looks like Sunday afternoon should be nice ... we can ever throw a porcupine frisbee at beer cans

that completes the russell roll (tm markus) for today

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 06:23:01 am »

What is it that your actually looking for?

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 06:59:59 am »

Perfect day for a picnic.
some floridians got to check out the countryside and meet a dozen Porcupines .... they might move in the distant future, meanwhile they are touring with an fsp bumper sticker :)
henry caught 3 fish in the brook and released them
more snakes were tortured
Kira, John M, and I beat the boys at ultimate frisbee
lots of food
good music from 4 different players

not sure when the next Grafton Welcome Wagon picnic will be .... any requests?

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2009, 06:50:08 pm »

next picnic will be on Saturday August 1st
10am people start arriving
noon shire folk share food
volleyball game might break out
evening bonfire in the field under the almost full moon

Floridian

• Friend of FSP
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 03:16:26 pm »

Perfect day for a picnic.
some floridians got to check out the countryside and meet a dozen Porcupines .... they might move in the distant future, meanwhile they are touring with an fsp bumper sticker :)
henry caught 3 fish in the brook and released them
more snakes were tortured
Kira, John M, and I beat the boys at ultimate frisbee
lots of food
good music from 4 different players

not sure when the next Grafton Welcome Wagon picnic will be .... any requests?

Thanks Russell, and everyone else, for your gracious hospitality and the fine entertainment.  It was a special afternoon.   My favorite quote for the day was when Russell told Henry about the fishing opportunities...

Russell: "I don't know what kind of fish are in the brook or how to catch them." 
Henry:  "I do."
 :D
Tu ne cede malis.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2009, 06:48:53 am »

My favorite quote for the day was when Russell told Henry about the fishing opportunities...

Russell: "I don't know what kind of fish are in the brook or how to catch them." 
Henry:  "I do."
 :D
kids these days ... no respect  for us old codgers
but we did beat em in ultimate frisbee with a chick on our team :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up