Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Family Area at 2009 PorcFest?  (Read 33296 times)

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
Re: Family Area at 2009 PorcFest?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2009, 12:00:52 pm »

I understand your point QA.  I don't think you need to be terribly concerned.  I don't think the "family area" calls for total silence.  I think everyone understands that this is still a camping trip, and there is always other campers around.  
Somehow I think it will all work out ;D
I think Lloyd is right, and I really don't think there will be huge problems (unless people generally intend on being discourteous, which I highly doubt - we're all there to get along and get to know each other, right?).  

And, actually, I was told the family area was going to be discussed with Rogers this past Monday's visit, and sent confirming email to Randy this morning prior to announcing this.  Of course any site will be okay, and people will be placed wherever they ask if they ask for a specific site. This area isn't being specifically reserved for *only* families, it is being strongly suggested by the organizers for families to congregate around/ask specifically for that area/those sites.  That's all I'm saying.

Agreed, Dreepa, and as I said, it hasn't been quiet in past years, and that is everyone's recollection, which is why we all felt it important to get this announcement out prior to May 1st.  There will be more clarification then as to "where" the "thick of things" will be.

Again,
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:07:05 pm by ivyleague28477 »

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 12:11:18 pm »

Actually, a party could occur at any campsite at any time.

Well that's true enough, but if the families with kids all reserve those particular camp sites, and those families don't want partying on their particular site (at least not at all hours of the morning), then I would guess that that wouldn't happen so much.  Though, I will clarify, I was primarily referring to the "official" parties and the "fun tent" type stuff.

I've been told by head organizer herself to continue to encourage families with children to reserve sites near the playground area and to encourage families to camp together!  ;D  Very exciting! 

Which sites exactly?

As far as campsite numbers:
The organizers would like to concentrate families with kids primarily around:
24, 26, 28;
25, 27, 2, 4, 6, 10,;
5, 7, 31, 33,; and
11, 9, 8, 29, 30, 32,

Maybe secondarily around:
19, 20, 22;
18, 21, 23, 12, 14;
36; and
17, 13, 34, 35, 37.

And, while Rogers has been now notified that we would like to have the families with kids in that area, there is no guarantee, so reserve your site early families!!  ;D

In the area of Site # 2.

*giggles*  Lloyd, looks like you'll be surrounded by short ones.  :)
I can tell you for a fact that some of the sites on that list have been reserved since last year and will most certainly not be quiet.  I would strongly suggest taking the advice of other people well familiar with Rogers and encouraging people who want quiet to be where there is less traffic, both foot and car.

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 12:19:21 pm »

I can tell you for a fact that some of the sites on that list have been reserved since last year and will most certainly not be quiet.  I would strongly suggest taking the advice of other people well familiar with Rogers and encouraging people who want quiet to be where there is less traffic, both foot and car.

Well, that's funny, because up until late January of this year, PorcFest was going to be held at Gunstock again, so I can't understand (unless people are psychic) how they would know a) that PorcFest would be at Rogers and b) what dates an entire year prior.  Wow!  Will you pick a lottery ticket for me, too?  Cuz I never win those.  >:D

I'll talk with Carla again, and we'll bring it back to the committee, but as of right now the planning committee and Carla all have agreed this is a good place to encourage families to reserve.  :)

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 12:24:04 pm »

Well, that's funny, because up until late January of this year, PorcFest was going to be held at Gunstock again, so I can't understand (unless people are psychic) how they would know a) that PorcFest would be at Rogers and b) what dates an entire year prior.  Wow!  Will you pick a lottery ticket for me, too?  Cuz I never win those.  >:D

I'll talk with Carla again, and we'll bring it back to the committee, but as of right now the planning committee and Carla all have agreed this is a good place to encourage families to reserve.  :)
Because after the early June date was announced for Gunstock and the late June date was proposed for Rogers, bets were hedged in the hopes Rogers would win out.  I suggest you go with a powerball number of 98.

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2009, 12:31:13 pm »

Because after the early June date was announced for Gunstock and the late June date was proposed for Rogers, bets were hedged in the hopes Rogers would win out.  I suggest you go with a powerball number of 98.
Sweet!  When I'm a billionaire, I'll split it with the FSP - donated on behalf of Jon Maltz.  >:D

Hey, I got no problems bringing it back to Carla, but the kids activities will be starting bright and early in the mornings and we'll be meeting at the playground for our start off point.  :) 

Still, there are plenty of those sites in that area still available, and *I* can say for a fact that some of the sites that are already reserved in that area already have kids at them.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2009, 12:35:19 pm »

I don't believe any of the people who are in that area, or any area are concerned that there will be tykes running about.  I don't recall a no-kids area being set up.  I think it is not a wise idea to promote to those people that the area is a quiet area when a chunk of sites were reserved before that decision was made.

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 12:56:00 pm »

I think it is not a wise idea to promote to those people that the area is a quiet area when a chunk of sites were reserved before that decision was made.
So noted.

I don't think I "promot[ed] that the area is a quiet area", I am pretty sure I said
but this year the far away sites is where the parties will be held instead.  I've been told by head organizer herself to continue to encourage families with children to reserve sites near the playground area and to encourage families to camp together! 
and
Well that's true enough, but if the families with kids all reserve those particular camp sites, and those families don't want partying on their particular site (at least not at all hours of the morning), then I would guess that that wouldn't happen so much.  Though, I will clarify, I was primarily referring to the "official" parties and the "fun tent" type stuff.

I don't believe any of the people who are in that area, or any area are concerned that there will be tykes running about.  I don't recall a no-kids area being set up. 
I don't believe any families with kids had any issues with non-kid-families or singles enjoying themselves at their own sites.  I do believe there was concerns about bigger parties due to noise issues such as what occurred last year at the fun tent.  Fun tent et all was addressed above, so let me repeat what I said about individual sites:
I don't think you need to be terribly concerned.  I don't think the "family area" calls for total silence.  I think everyone understands that this is still a camping trip, and there is always other campers around.  

So, again, let me bring it back to Carla as you suggested and see what she says.  I think perhaps the outcome will be the same and:

muni

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 01:01:56 pm »

.  I don't recall a no-kids area being set up.  I think it is not a wise idea to promote to those people that the area is a quiet area when a chunk of sites were reserved before that decision was made.

What sites are we talking about?

How many families that need quiet area and how many noisy singles are going to be there?  

What would be your recommendations for a quite site with electricity not too far from bathrooms?

Where is the Fun Tent going to be?

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 01:09:51 pm »

I want this year to be another great Porc Fest.

I have to agree with Dreepa.  
I have  been to all of the Porc Fests at Rogers. The area recommended for the family area is in the thick of things and is great for meeting new people but not very quiet.
I was wondering if you checked the availability of those sites?  People have been reserving sites for months now.  I know that 6 of them in that area booked already.  

Those who want to meet a lot of people and be in the thick of things should register in the triangle  between the 2 bathrooms and main lodge.  

For those who are looking for quiet sites are best off getting ones between Rt 2 and the bathroom  over by the water slide or any of the sites on along the north west corner of the map above the mobile home/RV sites.

http://rogerscampground.com/
click on camp map

Kate

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 01:18:09 pm »

I think it is not a wise idea to promote to those people that the area is a quiet area when a chunk of sites were reserved before that decision was made.
So noted.

I don't think I "promot[ed] that the area is a quiet area", I am pretty sure I said
but this year the far away sites is where the parties will be held instead.  I've been told by head organizer herself to continue to encourage families with children to reserve sites near the playground area and to encourage families to camp together! 
We all know how well central planning works out.

People have a few years of experience at Rogers, and based on that experience reserved sites they liked. Parties will happen where they happen, regardless of what someone else may want.  Saying that the main traffic area where everyone funnels through after they are done with whatever fun they were having elsewhere in the campground should be the family area is fine if families don't mind hearing that until 2 or 3am.

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 01:41:55 pm »

Yes, of course.  You all are right, and everything I have said is wrong.  All I know is what the organizer has coordinated, not what happened in previous years, and of course we all know that repeating the past is the best course of action and shooting the messenger is the best way to change things.

1) How many families that need quiet area and how many noisy singles are going to be there?  

2) What would be your recommendations for a quite site with electricity not too far from bathrooms?

3) Where is the Fun Tent going to be?
Muni,

1) Last I talked to Randy there were only 4 sites reserved in those sites that I put in bold, and I know I've got one of them, and it seems Lloyd has another one. (I don't think Lloyd is a noisy single, unless you count his snoring!  ;) )  Perhaps in the past day or two there have been a few more reservations, which I will confirm with him in a little bit and get back to you if you'd like.

2) I can't say what your personal preferences might be, but if you look at the map, site 28 has electric, is near both playground and bathroom.  4 and 7 aren't that much farther from the bathroom.  And if you look to the other side, site 60 also has electric and is closer to that other bathroom.  Those would be my suggestions.

3)Currently the thing that will be similar to the fun tent of last year will be held at the picnic area pavilion this year, although the plans are all still being finalized, and as I posted previously, those announcements will be made May 1st.  Maybe wait to reserve until that announcement is officially made.

Hope that helps you and Joshua (and the cat) find a good site to be at.  (LOL @ Joshua insisting on bringing the cat!  :)  )

Ivy

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2009, 02:16:47 pm »

Yes, of course.  You all are right, and everything I have said is wrong.  All I know is what the organizer has coordinated, not what happened in previous years, and of course we all know that repeating the past is the best course of action and shooting the messenger is the best way to change things.
Almost everyone who has camped at Rogers and has posted in this thread has agreed that most of the sites near the playground are perhaps not the best choice, ironically enough, for families if a certain amount of quiet is of concern.  You can take that advice however you wish to, it does not change the facts.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2009, 02:20:07 pm »

So I’m guessing this is why Carla stopped posting on the forum about PorcFest. Can’t please anyone around here… ::)

lloydbob1

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 02:29:19 pm »

I'm not staying at #2.  I'm thinking that as we are all rational individuals there can be some trading of spaces to get everyone where they want to be.

ivyleague28477

• FSP Participant
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2009, 02:45:57 pm »

Almost everyone who has camped at Rogers and has posted in this thread has agreed that most of the sites near the playground are perhaps not the best choice, ironically enough, for families if a certain amount of quiet is of concern. 
Wow, really?  I see five people posting here to say that is perhaps not the best choice of areas.  I thought much more than five people have been to porcfests past.  Hmm I guess I really *am* wrong.  heh.   :)
I did not say that those were not bustling sites in prior years, I said that this year we are trying to do it differently.  I did not disagree with your information about the past, I said that we are hoping to change the past.  I was not contradicting your information about how it used to be, but rather offering that that is not necessarily the way it will be this year.  But reading into things is also always the best way to do anything.
You can take that advice however you wish to, it does not change the facts.
I will!  I will take that advice and go talk to Carla about what she wants to do - as I previously said.  But keep twisting my words and attacking me - that always helps/works.

So I’m guessing this is why Carla stopped posting on the forum about PorcFest. Can’t please anyone around here… ::)
No kidding.  It's no wonder why no one realizes what is actually going to be happening this year, because the people who are actually planning aren't allowed to even post without the plans (or person announcing them) being attacked.  

Free-for-all anyone?  Oh wait, should we wrestle for sites?  Or, oh, I know.  How about those who are more flexible and spontaneous actually offer to be kind, courteous, and helpful to those that might have restrictions or set schedules (like those single party-ers offering to let the people with kids (who might enjoy being near the playground) oh, I don't know, (ironically) be near the playground).   Just a thought.

I'm not staying at #2.  I'm thinking that as we are all rational individuals there can be some trading of spaces to get everyone where they want to be.
Gee, that's what I was thinking too.  Apparently I'm wrong.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up