Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to join but have a moral dilemma and some questions.  (Read 6820 times)

AnCapMan

• FSP Participant
Want to join but have a moral dilemma and some questions.
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:34:06 pm »

So my wife are both on board with moving and becoming very active in the activism in New Hampshire. With that said I am feeling guilty already. I have no connections in New Hampshire, my wife has no connections essentially we would be moving our 3.5 year old away from her grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins whom she loves. We would also be leaving behind our only support system when times get rough or when we need a babysitter on short notice. Are we being fair to my wife's family and our daughter?

Now for the logistical stuff.

My wife can get a job she is an RN.
I may have some trouble. While not uneducated I do not have the torn piece of paper. I work for Verizon Wireless but am currently not allowed to transfer. I have worked in wireless for nearly 8 years. But it seems there are few opportunities for someone in my field. I have looked thru job postings but all pay substantially less than what I make in Pittsburgh PA. Can anyone point me too jobs that someone with 8 years wireless sales/service experience including being a store manager for AT&T for a year might translate to in say a field not necessarily wireless in NH?

We already will have the housing paid for by my wife's job so the job and the moral question are all that remain. Other than finding good affordable preschool and babysitter (we haven't let non family watch her)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: Want to join but have a moral dilemma and some questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:38:29 pm »

Welcome!  ;D

Your problems are common ones that almost all of us have had to work through: jobs and family.  I think you will find that there is a large support structure here to help you through both these problems.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:40:32 pm »

I'm not in NH, so I can't speak for the people there.

That having been said, I moved around an awful lot as a child.  I'm not any worse off for it.  I have a resilient attitude toward home (home being where my personal possessions are currently located at any point in time) as well as having the "home" feeling when I go to my parents' houses.  As a result of being my own roots, rather than leaving them somewhere, I've been able to follow every dream/whim that I have because I realize the most important people are always with me or a phone call away.

That is just me.   ;D
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

jeanius

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 04:36:14 am »

I moved across the country with my husband and three children a few years ago.  My kids were 10, 8, and 3 at the time. 

People asked us why we were moving.  We explained about the Free State Project.  Some people didn't get it.  But I explained that people move for all types of reasons - for a better job, to be near family, etc.  What could be a better reason than to create a better life, to help make a freer world.

And we felt very strongly about the example we were setting for our children.  What better lesson than to stand up for what you believe, to really work for it, make sacrifices for it. 

For us, that resolved our issues.  It's work to move.  And sacrifices are made.  But, its *so* worth it.

And there is a network of us here.  :)

And PA isn't far away!

Jean

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 05:37:35 am »

you can also start your activism there and see how you like it

It is hard to believe you wouldn't be able to make as much or more in southern NH as you do in pittsburg
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

lloydbob1

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 05:51:40 am »

Tough decision, but as Jean stated PA isn't too far from NH.

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:19:02 am »

re/ kids that is rough. In 2-4 months my family is moving. I'll be moving my wife away from her family (10 siblings, dad, numerous nieces, nephews, cousins, etc) and my son away from his grandpa and numerous beloved aunts. He's only 3 but I know he's going to miss them and it's even farther (Colombia - yes, the one in South America :) ).

I'm convinced he will have a better life in NH, which is what staves off the bad feelings. With NH's already excellent liberty profile, and the kinds of improvements I hope to be a part of achieving, I expect him to grow up happier, more educated, more intelligent, more accomplished and richer - so much so that it will justify this inconvenience of moving and being away from family.

That and we'll visit annually. :D

re/ work, you may want to join the FSP's Professional Networking Group on LinkedIn and post something about what you're looking for:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1835717

With your experience, have you considered starting a business?

I have my own business but I'm ending it in a few months so I'll also be looking for opportunities soon.

Good luck and hope to see you in NH!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 08:28:16 am »

Welcome to the forums.

I suggest that youcome to Porcfest and meet other families.

Also I sent you a PM re the job.

(I have ZERO regrets about moving from CA to NH with my kids)

Kate

• Now in NH
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 10:07:33 am »

Hello and welcome.

I'm so glad I glad I moved to NH.  I arrived a year and a half ago.  What I found here is the best group of friends ever.  Here are a group of people who do all sorts of different and interesting things.  Not only activism but music, art, gardening, acting, building all sorts of stuff including homes, shooting, sewing, hiking,  skiing, boating, flying planes, knitting, farming, filming, building private schools, crafts, home-schooling, camping, building web sites, snowmobiling, dance, brewing beer, and all sorts of other hobbies that I'm forgeting.

We get together for other things than issues at the state house.  We have moving parties, cook outs, ice cream socials, parties, Taproom Tuesday, Social Sundays, MVP meetings, pot luck dinners, fund-raisers for various causes, Liberty Ladies get togethers, Porc Fest, Liberty forum, picnics, and other occasions to see friends.
http://www.nhlibertycalendar.org/

The people here are a interesting and diverse group of people.  They are also some of the best friends I have ever had.  I have more fun and I'm happier here than anywhere I have ever lived.  I don't feel like an outsider here.  Not only that when I needed good friends early last year when my personal life fell apart they were there for me.  They helped me move, hung out with me and let me talk it out until things got better. 

Moving here isn't like moving to a large city and not knowing anybody.   You have people who will welcome you with friendship and understanding.  Also since people have already moved you don't have to reinvent the wheel.  Check out the moving guide.
http://www.freestateproject.org/nhinfo

Since you are undecided about moving I would take the oportunity to get to know us better.

If you can bring your family to Porc Fest in June you will get the chance to meet other families that have made the move or are planning to.  There are a lot of parents with children around the age of yours.   
http://www.freestateproject.org/festival

Join a bunch of the forums.  We are growing large enough that we are developing different social groups that focus on different styles of activism.  Most people overlap several of the groups.
http://www.freestateproject.org/node/13115

Facebook is a growing force around here.  It is a nice tool for getting to know people, networking and events.

For you wife Liberty Ladies.  They are hosting the cook off at Porc Fest.  They are a wonderful ladies group up here.  We get together every so often and do non political stuff like lunch, bead stringing,  ceramics, dinner out and so on.  We are also a mutual aid group.
http://libertyladies.org/

Moving to NH has had a profound effect on me.  For many years I never wanted children.  I have lived in 3 other large cities on the east coast and never wanted to bring children into the world if I was to raise them in those cities.  Now I'm getting married to a great guy and we are planning on having a family.  There are several things that changed my mind along with the Alec being  a wonderful man and will be a great father.

This isn't a keeping up with the jones crowd.  It is what you do with your life not what you have.
I can get help from a large circle of mothers who are raising their children not to be brats but responsible, thinking and creative children.
I don't have to send them to public school.  I can home school and get help when I need it.
I also have a wide option of things we can do here in NH and types of life styles.

The women I have met up here are the greatest resource this movement has.  As a group  we get a lot done.  We help each other out and have fun all at the same time.  If you can get your wife up here to meet us you should have no trouble getting her to move.  Also the number of Children is growing.  Can you imaging your child growing up with the children of people who believe in liberty, personal responsibility  and they not the government are rising their kids.

I hope you look into moving and get a chance to visit.
Kate

lasse

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 10:21:28 am »

Once I move I will be moving across the Atlantic Ocean, away from everyone I've ever known and all my family. I don't feel guilty about the concept. In any case it's not like I see anyone of them but my parents more often than maybe every month, less, and planes were invented quite a while ago. :P

You can always make new friends.
(not that lasse, the other lasse)

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil - Isaiah 5:20

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:35:23 pm »

First off, What Kate said! (well put Kate!)

And it makes me think that Generally speaking, before moving to NH, everyone's family/friends/coworkers are largely made up of Republicans & Democrats.   So this belief in Big Government, from those closest to you, is always looking back at you and it does effect your outlook by being a part of your reality, because Deep down, you're not a RepubliCrat, you're a Liberty Lover.  And you've basically been alone your whole life. 

So you say to yourself, Self, there must be someplace you can go to find the world, friends, family that you've always dreamed of, where people truly respected other's rights to own their own life and property (a Group of people who agreed with you for once in your life).  Also a place where you could do some pushing back, by doing some Liberty Activism where it would make a difference.   

And the good news, there is, The Free State Project.  It's a constantly growing Community of aproximately 1,000 Liberty Lovers (unofficially, Mark of Free Talk Live. com recently guessed 1k on Air because "Libertarians don't like to sign lists!")  who have chosen to make it a reality by moving to 1 geographic region, New Hampshire, to concentrate Liberty Lovers' Numbers, for the Fun, Freedom and Community of it.

Finally, as some of the above posts have recommended, Get to PorcFest! (and you'll be able to meet/fast start your future life in New Hampshire).   Best!

The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 01:31:10 pm »

Wow, what else can I say? Hope to see you soon.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 02:14:49 pm »

AnCapMan, keep an eye on jobsinnh.com for work opportunities. I tend to see plenty of RN nurse jobs on a weekly basis which will be good for your wife. There are also plenty of other genres that you might be interested in as well. In addition, I hear that once one's feet are on the ground in NH, they become privy to other opportunities that out-of-staters may not be. Good luck on your move!

AnCapMan

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 09:54:48 pm »

We are going to do it. We have decided possibly by June. But if not June definitely by December.

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 08:18:44 am »

That's great news! I just caught a break on my moving plans, and should be there by early June. See you there. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up