Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking away.  (Read 5833 times)

Curien

Walking away.
« on: March 16, 2009, 01:09:37 pm »

Hello all.

I have something on my mind, and thought I'd ask you all about it.

Did any of you have to leave behind a girlfriend or significant other in order to move to New Hampshire, or perhaps heard about a friend of a friend who did so?

I know this is a rather personal question, but it's something I'm struggling with right now, as it is something I would have to do... Any thoughts, stories, etc will be much appreciated.

Thanks ahead,
- C.

D. Stewart

• FSP Participant
Re: Walking away.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 01:12:07 pm »

My first question would be, what are her reasons for declining to make the move with you?

time4liberty

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 01:12:45 pm »

Hello all.

Did any of you have to leave behind a girlfriend or significant other in order to move to New Hampshire, or perhaps heard about a friend of a friend who did so?

I know this is a rather personal question, but it's something I'm struggling with right now, as it is something I would have to do... Any thoughts, stories, etc will be much appreciated.

Thanks ahead,
- C.

I'd try to convince them ... failing that, if it's a GF and not that important of a relationship, maybe go anyway, but I certainly wouldn't leave a spouse.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 02:29:55 pm »

There are those that have left significant others behind.  I wouldn't do it...especially if it was a long term relationship that had hope for a lifetime relationship. 
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:40:13 pm »

Lucky for me my g/f got right on board. I would determine the seriousness of the relationship and the seriousness of the commitment to liberty and weigh my options accordingly.
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 03:20:17 pm »

Hello all.

Thanks ahead,
- C.

Bring them to NH (porcfest?)  and let them meet other spouses/sig others  who also moved.
See the community up close.

beth221

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 04:24:55 pm »

I threatened Dan with leaving, I took him to NH, and viewed some placed that I might want to live at, myself, without him.

Now, we are both living in NH together, and Happy.  Had to light the fire under his tush.  Worked very well!   >:D

TANSTAAFL76

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 04:30:24 pm »

Regret is a bitter flavor to leave in your mouth, and freedom can lose its luster if the person you wanted to share it with is still back home.  I'd suggest dealing with the relationship first and foremost, NH isn't going anywhere.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 04:35:03 pm »

Funny thing, I wrote a song parody on exactly that topic.  ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vprDWPBDIxQ&feature=related  if you need the melody.)

SEE YOU IN NEW HAMPSHIRE
COPYRIGHT 2009 by Sam A. Robrin or whoever the hell it is who writes these things. Go ahead and use it (Hell, I lifted the melody!), but if you make a little money on it, I want some!
Think of the mountains there'll be to climb
Working to bring freedom in our time.

I must  Live free  Or die
I must  Live free 

See you in New Hampshire.
If--No--When you get there, too.
Here I am  (I must live free)
Ready to move to the Free State,  (I must live free)
No need to restate  (I must live free)
It's what I have to do.  (I must live free)

You have family, and a job here,
Optimistic of a better day,
But you still don't see what I fear:
Our freedom is being borne away.
(Climbing those mountains is hard, but fun--
Dangerous business, but must be done.)

Don't tread on me!
Don't tread on me!
Don't tread on me!  (I must  Live free  Or die)
Don't tread on me!  (I must live free)

Yes, I love you, but I am sure
That I couldn't if we can't be free
Will I see you in New Hampshire--
My two loves: You and Liberty?
(Stand at the summit with flag unfurled,
Gazing below at a new, free world.)

See you  (I must  Live free  Or die)
In New Hampshire  (I must  Live free  Or die)
I'm sure I'll
Can't wait to

mike888777

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 05:00:37 pm »

Well if you both value freedom then eventually that other person should come around to seeing how great the fsp is. If that person doesn't value freedom then do you really want a long term relationship with them?
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

teemuv

• http://en.teemuvalimaki.fi/
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 04:10:54 am »

It's hard when your logic says to go, but heart says to stay. It's hard, when you try to to convince with valid arguments and proofs, but you have no success. It's hard when you hear the other say "I believe you and you are probably right but.."

In the end we have to ask what we want from our lives and with what price. Live free or die kind of says it best.

If you decide to stay, for now at least, make everything and anything you can to help to promote freedom.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 04:12:43 am »

If you decide to stay, for now at least, make everything and anything you can to help to promote freedom.
and promote the Free State Project.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 08:05:50 am »

many people have had those kinds of decisions to make.
I joined the FSProject to help people. I wouldn't have left behind someone I had an intimate relationship with to move to NH. I would only move here without her if it would make her life better.
Of coarse Beth enhanced Dan's life by lighting a fire under his butt. :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Michael Reynolds

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 08:57:38 pm »

Wow... I don't think I've posted here in 3 or 4 years, but your scenario was interesting and prompted me to initiate password recovery!

Hello all.
Thanks ahead,
- C.

I will begin by saying that it seems as if the issue here were not something so trivial as leaving behind a job. I took the liberty of inferring this from your post, but perhaps I misread something. It sounds like you two have discussed this at length, and have reached an impasse. If I may presume the reason for your planned move is your support of the FSP and what it represents (which I take as a given in this case), then you owe it to yourself to make the move. You are making a choice based on your values. If she won't make the move with you, then it seems that what you and she value are at odds. If you abandon your plans to move to for her sake, then you are selling yourself out. I would question how you can remain happy with someone who is keeping you from what you want in life.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 10:33:14 pm »

You are making a choice based on your values. If she won't make the move with you, then it seems that what you and she value are at odds. If you abandon your plans to move to for her sake, then you are selling yourself out. I would question how you can remain happy with someone who is keeping you from what you want in life.

No two people have exactly the same values.  Abandoning a relationship based on disagreements such as this is a good way not to have lasting relationships.  Also, a relationship will often keep you from some of the things you want in life; nothing's free.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up