Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traffic in the Northeast  (Read 5530 times)

Joey

Traffic in the Northeast
« on: May 06, 2003, 05:47:12 pm »

I'm planning to attend an IHS (theihs.org) journalism seminar in late July up in Washington, D.C., and am hoping to be able to afford a trip up to Mass./New Hampshire after it's over with.

Does anybody have any advice for me, because believe it or not, I plan to drive (paying $400 for a plane ticket is way out of the question), and I know the traffic is really bad up there.

The seminar runs from July 19 - 25, and I'm hoping to leave that Friday to head up to Mass.

joeydauben@hotmail.com
AIM: joey75154

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:Traffic in the Northeast
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 05:48:53 pm »

My advice: take 81, not 95.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Joey

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 06:01:39 pm »

From Washington, D.C., I would be going through Baltimore, Philadelphia and possibly NYC right?

Well from the Mapquest map I have, I'll go through Conn. too? Yikes.

So 81 and 95 are parallel, then?

nonluddite

• Caveat Emptor!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 06:08:21 pm »

You could take AMTRAK--The NE corridor seems to be the only section that makes a profit.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 06:08:37 pm by nonluddite »
"I'm trying to free your mind, but I can only show you the door.  You're the one that has to walk through it."- Morpheous, The Matrix

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 06:32:11 pm »

Joey -

The drive from DC to NH is a good 11 hours or so. If you are going to be in DC anyhow, you might look into a round-trip DC to Manchester, NH flight. The last time I checked it was easy to find round-trip tickets in the $95 range. This wouldn't be much more than you would spend on gas for that trip and it would give you an extra day to spend in NH.

Sorry you won't make it for Escape (like you said on another thread), but definitely look us up when you do come. Any of the committee members or members of LPNH will be happy to show you around and answer questions.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 06:38:51 pm »

From Washington, D.C., I would be going through Baltimore, Philadelphia and possibly NYC right?

Well from the Mapquest map I have, I'll go through Conn. too? Yikes.

If you take 95, yes to all of the above.

So 81 and 95 are parallel, then?

Well, sorta.  81 goes up through the Appalachians and cuts over into New York and then provides easy access to Northern New England.  A prettier drive, less expensive than 95 (tolls are crazy in DE, NJ, and NYC), and less trafficked (though maybe a bit longer altogether because it's more miles).

I've driven up and down the east coast a lot recently. ;)
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

rdeacon

• FSP Participant
  • Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 12:32:09 pm »

Conn Rt 95 is ugly.  You want to take the Garden State Parkway or Rt 287 in Jersey to Rt 87N (NYS thruway).  Take 87N to Rt 90E (Mass Pike).  Take the Mass Pike to Rt 91N into Vermont.  Get off at exit 3 and you're on Rt 9 toward NH border.  It's about 3.5 hours from Rockland county NY (where you make the switch from the GSP/Rt287 to the NYS Thruway).

Rt 95 is another option, but its ALWAYS crowded and it crosses the Tappan Zee Bridge, which is a nightmare.  IF you're coming up in the middle of the night, Rt 95 is cool, but otherwise avoid Connecticut.

atr

• FSP Participant
Driving from DC to New England
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 01:34:11 pm »

I see that this is an old thread, but still . . .

Driving from DC to New England:

I-270 N to Frederick, MD
I-15 N through Gettysburg towards Harrisburg, PA
I-78 East out of Harrisburg to I-81 North/Scranton
I-84 East out of Scranton, PA all the way to I-90 in MA
(I-90 East to I-290 to I-495 in Massachusetts)
or diverge north to New Hampshire whenever you're ready.

I've driven this route to and from Maine three times in the last two years. It's a little longer (by distance) than taking I-95, but the scenary in PA is way way way better than the New Jersey turnpike. Traffic is pretty smooth everywhere except Connecticut, but even there it's not so bad. You also save a decent amount in tolls by bypassing Delaware and NJ.

Having said all that, Michelle is right that you should look for a plane ticket. Southwest periodically has specials from BWI to Manchester for $39 each way, which for one person is going to be cheaper than driving. The catch is that once you're in Manchester you'll have to find a way to get around in NH.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 06:24:44 pm »

I hear that at some airports they have businesses which will allow you the use of a car in exchange for money.

And that BWI to Manchester flight is nice, I've done it a few times.  Driving is nice if you like to drive, don't mind paying for all that gas, and have 2 days to spend in the car.

jgilyeat

• FSP Participant
  • Boo!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 06:41:03 pm »

2 days, one each way, of course.

And the BWI to Manchester flight isn't bad at all (and Southwest covers that route, IIRC).  It's been a few years since I last did it, but it's relatively painless, and there are worse airports to fly out of (like, say, DCA and Dulles ;)

-
J
Pages: [1]   Go Up