Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: So are you guys hippies?  (Read 9629 times)

Sam A. Robrin

Re: So are you guys hippies?
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 12:50:09 pm »

Well, VS, your screen name is giving me Flashbacks . . .
I was an enthusiastic part of that second wave of hippies in the early 1970s, consisting of kids who'd been fascinated by coverage of the Summer of Love, and moved out to California hoping it still existed.  (One might call it "the Freek State Project" if one had a clever way with nomenclature . . .)  I mostly learned that I was too much of a nonconformist to fit in with the nonconformist set.  I still like the music and the fashions, the sense of playfulness and intellectual questing; not so much the drugs; and I despise the politics, which were really just a combination of ignorance and venality.
I still wear bright colors and long hair, and retain the whimsical and philosophical aspects; use no recreational drug but caffeine; and am here, so you can figure out my politics.
Does that answer your question?

WendellBerry

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 01:12:00 pm »

I always assumed you were a hippy, Dreepa.   Don't know about the others.
Is that because I live on a Farm?

You have kind of that ex-hippy, back-to-nature look.   Combine that with your gentle mannerisms, and I just figured...

(For those of you playing remotely, I am being completely and utterly sarcastic.)

Well, a "gentlemen farmer" means someone who is not in debt to anyone with regards to their land...they own it free and clear.
Whereas, a "yeomen farmer" is in debt to someone else via a mortgage.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 01:20:16 pm »

You have kind of that ex-hippy, back-to-nature look.   Combine that with your gentle mannerisms, and I just figured...

(For those of you playing remotely, I am being completely and utterly sarcastic.)

Well, a "gentlemen farmer" means someone who is not in debt to anyone with regards to their land...they own it free and clear.
Well I still owe them some $$$ so I guess I am a yeomen farmer....or maybe a 'Yo MAN' Farmer.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

TANSTAAFL76

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 06:32:09 pm »

I mostly learned that I was too much of a nonconformist to fit in with the nonconformist set.

Haha, ain't that the truth.

"There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist." -Ayn Rand

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

lloydbob1

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2009, 06:15:02 pm »

Actually a Yeoman was a landowner. I come from a long line of Yeomen all of whom owned their own farms, sometimes,  land they were given and improved.  This was done to get people to move to the Frontier, like Martha's Vineyard in the mid 1600's.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2009, 08:05:09 pm »

A gentleman farmer is someone who is not dependent upon the farm for income or production.  That might be someone who has another full-time job which pays enough, or someone who is independently wealthy.  Mortgages don't enter into it.  If you own a farm, but could afford to cease all work on it without difficulty (ie, the farm is purely a hobby), then you are a "gentleman farmer."

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 10:54:59 pm »

Robert Frost was a gentleman farmer, for example.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 11:02:55 pm »

Robert Frost was a gentleman farmer, for example.

As was Thomas Jefferson.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up