Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: So are you guys hippies?  (Read 9637 times)

Vandal Savage

So are you guys hippies?
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:11:27 pm »

It seems to me that most people here (throughout my reading, that is), are either old hippies, or wanna be hippies longing for some nostagic 60's peace love-in or something. I want true American freedoms that were granted to ME by or Forefathers. Is this the place for me?

WendellBerry

Re: So are you guys hippies?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:27:25 pm »

It seems to me that most people here (throughout my reading, that is), are either old hippies, or wanna be hippies longing for some nostagic 60's peace love-in or something. I want true American freedoms that were granted to ME by or Forefathers. Is this the place for me?

They weren't "granted to" you...our freedoms exist prior to government but are only secured by it.

We come out of a state of nature and give up on the arbitrary use of force (might makes right) and delegate that authority to governance.

Geheg3D

• Friendly Neighborhood Salvia Farmer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:25:12 pm »

They weren't "granted to" you...our freedoms exist prior to government

This.

That other stuff? Not my cup o' tea.

And as for being hippies, I'd want to know what that means first.
FSP mover 666  \m/
_________/\________\o/__________  AHHHHHHH!  A SHARK!

Vandal Savage

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:55:20 pm »

This.

If you don't know what I mean by "hippies", you're probably one.

vjenks

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 02:59:22 pm »

This.

I'm guessing you're asking based on the stereotype of a "hippie" - folks rolling around in mud at Woodstock, tweaked out on acid, chanting about free love and communism?

Vandal Savage

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 03:06:40 pm »

This.

I'm guessing you're asking based on the stereotype of a "hippie" - folks rolling around in mud at Woodstock, tweaked out on acid, chanting about free love and communism?

First off, there's no such thing as a stereotype. Is it a stereotype that snow is known to be cold? No, it's friggin cold. So, I just want to know what you guys are all about. Are you like me? Do share my ideals?

vjenks

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 03:12:49 pm »

This.

First off, there's no such thing as a stereotype. Is it a stereotype that snow is known to be cold? No, it's friggin cold. So, I just want to know what you guys are all about. Are you like me? Do share my ideals?

Right, gotcha.  Well I can't speak for anyone else.  Me...myself...I'm an anarcho-capitalist along the lines of Mises, Rothbard, Rockwell, etc.  I'd like to see little (or no) formal gov't and the individual right to live and conduct commerce with others as I see fit.  I would prefer absolute private property (even land, though old WendellBerry will surely seize this opportunity to twist the shit out of that concept).  I'm strictly anti-war and non-aggressive but believe in the right to just self-defense.

But, like I said...everyone here is an individual.  I think the one thing everyone involved has in common is a desire for more Liberty.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 03:34:07 pm »

So, I just want to know what you guys are all about. Are you like me? Do share my ideals?

Dunno... what are you like, and what are your ideals?

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 03:53:37 pm »

I am confused.  FSP'ers have been described in a number of ways.  "Hippie" is new to me.  I was but 4 years old during the Summer of Love.  So, I don't qualify as a Hippie.  I once owned a tie-dyed shirt, and have been known to accept offers to inhale herbaceous substances occasionally.  Does that count?

If one were to generalize, we are younger than average and share the opinion that government should be much smaller than it is now.  Other than that, we are as varied in character as one would expect of a group that exceeds 10,000 members and friends.
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

Vandal Savage

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 04:08:51 pm »

I am confused.  FSP'ers have been described in a number of ways.  "Hippie" is new to me.  I was but 4 years old during the Summer of Love.  So, I don't qualify as a Hippie.  I once owned a tie-dyed shirt, and have been known to accept offers to inhale herbaceous substances occasionally.  Does that count?

If one were to generalize, we are younger than average and share the opinion that government should be much smaller than it is now.  Other than that, we are as varied in character as one would expect of a group that exceeds 10,000 members and friends.

You could've been born in 1992 and be a hippie. My Sister is a hippie and she's 41, so the "hippie culture" does live on. I try to stay away from that. So I'm just asking. I'm starting to question certain aspects of Gov't and popular thought, so I guess I'm lost looking for a place to go.

WendellBerry

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 05:22:06 pm »

I'm starting to question certain aspects of Gov't and popular thought, so I guess I'm lost looking for a place to go.

So did hippies. By your lack of logic, I guess that makes you a hippie then!

Welcome along, pass the joint man! It is all about sharing...<<puff>>

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 05:26:31 pm »

* I don't know if any relatively accurate surveys have been taken of Libertarians or FSP fans, but I get the impression that maybe 10 or 20% are kind of hippies in a general sense. A couple of definitions of hippie on the net are: hippie, hippy, hipster, flower child: someone who rejects the established culture; advocates extreme liberalism in politics and lifestyle. 2. flower people, hippies, hipsters: a youth subculture (mostly from the middle class) originating in San Francisco in the 1960s; advocated universal love and peace and communes and long hair and soft drugs; favored acid rock and progressive rock music.
* In the 70s a lot of hippies were in the back-to-the-land movement and I lived in several such communities. I never used drugs or engaged in promiscuous relationships, but some of the others did. I shared the value of peace and freedom, but was mainly interested in spiritual solutions for society, whereas others were usually only marginally interested in that. My sense of spirituality has changed a little since then.
* In 1971 I took a sociology class in college and one sociologist's definition of hippie at that time was someone who opposed passive spectatorship [like tv & sports, I guess], future orientation [maybe like worry about going to hell after death] and compulsive consumption [buying things for the sake of impressing others, rather than for actual need].
* I agree with those last 3 values quite a bit, but I think it's mature to be somewhat future-oriented, not by believing in hell or worrying about it, but by preparing for the future in order to help shape the future in ways that will be better for us and for others.
* Libertarians generally oppose war, except for genuine self-defense when actually attacked by anyone, and favor maximum liberty for everyone and non-authoritarian relationships. They generally consider governments to have no authority to criminalize anything that harms no one. Use of force is likewise not considered justifiable, so nothing can be imposed on anyone: no taxes; no compulsory education; no vaccinations; no licenses; no insurance; no restrictions on trade etc. The only justifiable use of force is in self-defense against theft, murder, slander, violence etc.
* If I have anything mixed up...

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 06:25:19 pm »

My Sister is a hippie and she's 41, so the "hippie culture" does live on. I try to stay away from that. So I'm just asking.

Yeah, but that doesn't tell us quite what you're trying to stay away from.

You'll find all kinds here. Engineers, school teachers, mothers, fathers, computer scientists, nurses, politicians, lawyers, etc. The sentiments expressed in the Statement of Intent are really your best bet to learn what FSP is all about.

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 06:34:40 pm »

our freedoms exist prior to government but are only secured by it.

Only government can help us own ourselves?  At least you are consistent in making no sense...
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 06:37:36 pm »

As far as the "hippie" question goes, there are so many different things that could make someone a "hippie", it is a useless question.

I try to buy recycled paper, I'm careful about waste in terms of natural resources, I wear birkenstocks, I love the outdoors, hiking, the ocean, etc...
I think global warming is a hoax, I think the free market is the only worthwhile market, and I think the government is way overstepping its bounds.

Could I be labeled a "hippie"?  Yes.  No.

I think you are asking the wrong question.
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up