Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free-State Criteria  (Read 5279 times)

Bighug

Free-State Criteria
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:42:30 pm »

Today I read an article in the Baton Rouge paper about rating states according to how free they are.  Louisiana ranked very low, which doesn't surprise me, but to put it in perspective I would have to know the basis of the ratings.  The article uses only general descriptions, such as "gun control."  To some, freedom is being able to own a gun, but to others it may mean freedom from worry about someone else owning one.  Is there a website I can go to that describes each criterion? 

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Free-State Criteria
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 02:45:48 pm »

Today I read an article in the Baton Rouge paper about rating states according to how free they are.  Louisiana ranked very low, which doesn't surprise me, but to put it in perspective I would have to know the basis of the ratings.  The article uses only general descriptions, such as "gun control."  To some, freedom is being able to own a gun, but to others it may mean freedom from worry about someone else owning one.  Is there a website I can go to that describes each criterion?

Without knowing what study they were referencing, it's hard to tell how things were calculated.

There's a fair chance that they were referencing the study linked at the top of this page.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 02:59:58 pm »

Hi - I'm one of the authors of the study, which you can find in full here:
http://www.statepolicyindex.com/?page_id=143

In general, we're defining freedom as "the ability to dispose of one’s own life, liberty, and justly acquired property however one sees fit, so long as one does not coercively infringe on other individuals’ ability to do the same." Gun control, for instance, would be an infringement on individual freedom.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post them or contact me privately.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

slothman

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »

In general, we're defining freedom as "the ability to dispose of one’s own life, liberty, and justly acquired property however one sees fit, so long as one does not coercively infringe on other individuals’ ability to do the same." Gun control, for instance, would be an infringement on individual freedom.
The problem is what " justly acquired property" means.
For me that means so-called death taxes are not justly acquired.
Most of the people here though wouldn't tax that.
Similar with stock prices increases.
That "discriminates" toward the richer people.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 12:45:23 am »

To some, freedom is being able to own a gun, but to others it may mean freedom from worry about someone else owning one.  Is there a website I can go to that describes each criterion? 

I think there's a big conceptual difference there.

In the first, he is only asking that he be allowed to do something that harms no one.

In the second, he is asking that other people--who have harmed no one--be harmed so that he can be free from worry.

The latter person is dangerously ignorant (or just irresponsible, or both). No government regulation can free you of a condition--fear--that exists in your mind. But, rather than confront that fear by educating himself, taking precautions, planning for the possible outcomes, learning to defend himself, and minimizing risks--he would ask other people to work violence on his behalf upon people who have harmed no one.

What I think that a great deal of history supports, when people seek their internal freedom from fear by asking government to initiate violence, those people only exchange a freedom from coercion for a freedom from fear. But governments are often controlled by ambitious men; "Why should the powerful respect the weak?" Very soon, the people end up with neither freedom.

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:40:29 pm »

Hey here is a thread made JUST FOR WENDELLBERRY and anyone that wants to discuss his Lockean/Economic Rent/Mutualism theory! - http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=17075.msg205272#new
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:39:46 pm »

Hey WendellBerry! THIS above is what this thread is about. Stop hijacking it with arguing about mutualist philosophy and go to your own thread that I posted the link to!
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

vjenks

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 04:18:22 pm »

Hey WendellBerry! THIS above is what this thread is about. Stop hijacking it with arguing about mutualist philosophy and go to your own thread that I posted the link to!

Sorry, I know I'm encouraging him.  I think I'm just about finished...I'll call it a day after another response or two.  If the moderator wants to move our debate, I certainly wouldn't mind.

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 05:40:15 pm »

<Pontius_Pilate>Washes hands of it</Pontius_Pilate>  ::)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 05:52:53 pm »

I split those replies off and merged them with the economic rent thread in the political discussion section.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

vjenks

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 05:57:32 pm »

I split those replies off and merged them with the economic rent thread in the political discussion section.

Thanks!  Sorry for the mess.   :P
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 04:54:38 pm by sj »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything