Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How will FSP effect childeren?  (Read 12568 times)

Charno

• I'm a llama!
Re:How will FSP effect childeren?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2002, 11:06:05 pm »

Other FSPers might not agree with this but I think the voting age should be lowered.  Especially if you pay taxes, which I have only for thelast 1 and half months and already hate it.  If I could just file for Social Security now I'd have an extra 100 bucks!
F**k voting.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2002, 12:43:09 am by Mega Joule »

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2002, 11:39:34 pm »

You can freely buy heroin and shoot up. Also, the Boy Scouts will be allowed to not let gays be scoutmasters.

Charno --

First, you should know that this is a moderated area of the board, because it's supposed to be a safe place for discussion amongst younger members.  Although I know you're, what, 16?, this might not be an appropriate area for you given your political sophistication.

Second, it's not likely heroin will be legal for kids, for decades, if ever.  Minarchists, like the FSP, tend to be squeamish about certain situations (drugs, sex, other contracts) for anyone under the age of consent, which, as you know, can only be determined arbitrarily.

Mega Joule

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2002, 12:53:45 am »

Quote from: Charno

You can freely buy heroin and shoot up. Also, the Boy Scouts will be allowed to not let gays be scoutmasters.

Hello.  I'm your friendly neighborhood moderator.  I would appreciate it if you would limit your posts to things that would be appropriate for any age kid who might be on this board.  It must be obvious to you by the pictures here that some of the kids are quite young.  Manage your posts or they will be deleted in the future.  I will censor if needed, but I would prefer you control yourself appropriately.  

Mega Joule
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

debra

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2002, 10:23:18 am »

.... voting.

Hey Charno!  I see you found your way  over - Foadi's been around as well.

Just an FYI, we're a lot more mainstream than ASC, so you have to behave yourself here, particularly in the Youth section (watch the potty mouth!)  

Good to see you again!  :D

Debra
(aka Anarchomom)
"Society has always honored its live conformists and its dead troublemakers."

Mega Joule

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2002, 12:44:59 pm »

Quote from: Charno

You can freely buy heroin and shoot up.

Well for one thing in a libertarian-type free state the drug use issue would apply to consenting adults, the age of which would be determined in some arbitrary way.  In any case, individuals not yet having attained said arbitrary age would still have legal restrictions on them regarding drug use just as they would for cigarettes, alcohol, driving a car, or voting.  Sorry to break it to you, but parents and what minimal government might exist in a free society will still dictate the things that minors are permitted to do.

What are your thoughts?  What do you think the age of majority or at least age of consent should be.  Should it be different for different things?  For example should the age to get married, buy cigarettes, be free from parental control (and support) all be the same?  What age do you think people should be legally allowed to do these things?

Also, the Boy Scouts will be allowed to not let gays be scoutmasters.

I’m confused about this.  Did you mean that gay leaders will be allowed?  If not then I don’t follow you, as the Boy Scouts is a private organization that already can disallow anyone they like from becoming a leader.  I, a non-Christian, had difficulty being allowed to become a merit badge counselor because of the “Statement of Faith” one is required to sign.  Isn’t that ridiculous?

Do you think gay scoutmasters should be allowed?  What about gay mothers?  Atheists?  

Mega Joule
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

Charno

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2002, 01:51:00 pm »

Second, it's not likely heroin will be legal for kids, for decades, if ever.  Minarchists, like the FSP, tend to be squeamish about certain situations (drugs, sex, other contracts) for anyone under the age of consent, which, as you know, can only be determined arbitrarily.

:'(

Neo-Jeffersonian

• Life Boy Scout and NRA Sharpshooter.
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2002, 12:41:44 pm »

Quote from: Mega Joule
Do you think gay scoutmasters should be allowed?  

I do think that gay Scoutmasters should be allowed.  However, Boy Scouts is a private organization, so I also think that they have the right to decide if they want to have gay leaders or not.

What about gay mothers?  Atheists

I They also have the right to decide if they want gay mothers and atheists.  Personally, I don’t really think it matters.

THE WHITE RIDER

« Last Edit: September 10, 2002, 12:46:30 pm by Gandalf the White »
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

ShadyG

• FSP Participant
  • Como se llama
Re: How will FSP effect childeren?
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2003, 06:35:37 pm »

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

So then nothing stated here represents a constitutional ban of a state allowing voters who are under 18.  All it says is a state cannot set a minimum age higher than 18.  I don't know what the Voting Rights Act says about the issue though.

As far as national elections go, does anyone really vote at the national level?  I was under the impression that state citizens vote to determine which electors vote for us by proxy.  So only electors vote on a truly national level, and only they should be required to be 18 or above, if indeed the federal government should have a say in whom a state may choose as its representative in such matters.

Just some thoughts.  It may require testing in the judiciary, but there may be hope that the Free State would be allowed to choose its own voting criteria, as long as they do not run afoul of constitutional barriers such as poll taxes, race, religion, age above 18, or sex.

-- ShadyG
-- ShadyG

jenlee

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom Lover
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2003, 09:22:51 pm »

I wish I still had that link.

Up here is Alaska a young man age 16 tried to get the right to vote. He and some of his friends had been helping out with various political parties for a couple of years.

They didn't get the right to vote. BUT........it was brought to the attention of the rest of the state.

Now, me personally, I think there does need to be a set age on when they can vote. After all, a 9yo who has the right to vote would not have the info to make an informed choice.

Would a 16yo? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

If that ever came up for a vote (if it ever does get on the ballot) I don't know how I would vote. I do know a lot of young people who are even more aware of what is happening around them. But they are still in school (we hope) and I think they need to concentrate on school, concentrate on being young since once a person gets old enough to vote life becomes a lot more difficult.

As for age of consent. That worries me. Already we have parents who wants to do nothing more than kick their kids out. I knew a boy who became responsible for himself at the age of 14. And while he appeared to be doing fine, he was like a boat without an anchor. In essence he had no one to turn to when he needed them since he was considered an adult. I think parents/guardians needs to become more responsible to and for their children, not less.
Choices. One, plenty of room to expand. Two, freeze em and stack em like cords of wood, thaw em out to vote and then refreeze em. Choices.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up