Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How will FSP effect childeren?  (Read 11814 times)

Neo-Jeffersonian

• Life Boy Scout and NRA Sharpshooter.
How will FSP effect childeren?
« on: August 07, 2002, 10:53:31 pm »

What effect will FSP have on childeren?  What are the advanages that kids will have by creating a free state if any?

GANDALF THE WHITE
« Last Edit: August 07, 2002, 10:54:06 pm by Gandalf the White »
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

Dex Sinister

• Where are we going & why are we in this handbasket
Re:How will FSP effect childeren?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2002, 12:12:25 am »

What effect will FSP have on childeren?  What are the advanages that kids will have by creating a free state if any?

Well, living in a state without a lot of government regulation might change things in any number of ways. For instance, the government makes many regulations about how "safe" products that are sold must be. With less government, such laws might vanish.

Would this be good? I think so, yes. In order to be "safe" products must cost a certain amount - say, cost enough to be sturdy enough to be used 600 times, [just to make up a number.]

But suppose I only want to use something once or twice, perhaps a tool to throw in the trunk of my car or something. Should I have to pay for a tool that last for 600 uses, if I only want to use it once or twice?

Wouldn't it be better if I could make a decision to buy a one-or-two use tool really cheap, or an expensive tool that would last a lifetime, or a medium-priced tool that would last a long time, according to my needs, and not according to what someone else thinks I should buy?

Of course, I'd have to be responsible, and be a lot more careful with a $2 drill than with a $50 drill, because the $2 drill is, well, cheaper and it would probably break a lot more easily, but I think that I can be trusted with such responsibility.

That's the difference, the government doesn't think that I (anybody) can be trusted to make such a decision.

How do you think the world would be different if the government said to adults, "Hey, guys and gals, we think that you're all grown up and can make your own decisions about what's best for yourselves and your lives, so be careful out there, and have fun with your lives, as long as you don't hurt other people in the process!" ?? What sort of things might change?

Dex }:>=-
« Last Edit: August 08, 2002, 12:27:28 am by Dex Sinister »
"[Thus,] there is no end to observations on the difference between the measures likely to be pursued by a minister backed by a standing army, and those of a court awed by the fear of an armed people.'"

--Aristotle.

Matthew

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2002, 12:19:22 am »

I think the biggest effect FSP will have on minors is that we will have a much better education than most of us get now (especially if you go to public school).  We'll learn more and be prepared better for college and the real world.  There is many other things that'll affect us but this is by far the biggest.  You'll probably be able to get a job at a younger age than you can now (if you want to).
"And if Donald Trump delivered the mail, you could send letters for 12 cents, and also gamble with the stamps." Howard Stern

Matthew

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2002, 12:22:27 am »

Other FSPers might not agree with this but I think the voting age should be lowered.  Especially if you pay taxes, which I have only for thelast 1 and half months and already hate it.  If I could just file for Social Security now I'd have an extra 100 bucks!
"And if Donald Trump delivered the mail, you could send letters for 12 cents, and also gamble with the stamps." Howard Stern

Mega Joule

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2002, 12:34:50 am »

Other FSPers might not agree with this but I think the voting age should be lowered.  Especially if you pay taxes, which I have only for thelast 1 and half months and already hate it.  If I could just file for Social Security now I'd have an extra 100 bucks!

Well I don't think we could lower the voting age because that is a constitutional amendment, however I think the age of majority (age when one is concidered an adult) could be lowered.  Many kids today (including on of mine a few years back) are getting out and getting jobs earlier and just want to be on their own.  If they they should be able to.  

Lowering the age of majority might result in adults kickin' kids out just because they don't want to deal with them so it might be better to just make it easier for kids to be emancipated.  That way if they can show they can take care of themselves and they want the freedom they can have it.

Mega Joule
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

Matthew

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2002, 12:36:31 am »

I could be wrong so please correct me if I am, but can't you change state and local age or is 18 universal?

Neo-Jeffersonian

• Life Boy Scout and NRA Sharpshooter.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2002, 12:44:43 am »

In reply to Dex Sinister, I think the world would be better off if the government let people alone as long as they didn't harm anyone else.  I think it would be better if one could buy what they want to instead of someone else telling them what to buy.
"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"--Patrick Henry, 1776

"It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked." --Unknown.

Mega Joule

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2002, 12:46:58 am »

I could be wrong so please correct me if I am, but can't you change state and local age or is 18 universal?

Sorry, I was thinking about national elections.  I believe you are correct about state and local elections.  Maybe someone else could verify that for us because I don't really know for sure.

Mega Joule
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

Matthew

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2002, 12:49:43 am »

I don't think I was really thinking when I wrote that post ???.  Maybe I was thinking about how it'd be if we were our own country.  I don't know!  Either way, even if it were only on a city level that'd be good and a start.

Matthew

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2002, 12:51:03 am »

In reply to Dex Sinister, I think the world would be better off if the government let people alone as long as they didn't harm anyone else.  I think it would be better if one could buy what they want to instead of someone else telling them what to buy.

Well then your in luck!  Most (if not all) people here think thats how the government should be.  At least to some extent.

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2002, 12:53:07 am »

Are you familiar with Thomas Edison?

Do a little research on the web on his childhood from about age 11 on up. Youth accomplishments like his are no longer possible because of various government regulations.
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2002, 01:14:38 am »

Main Index : Cases and Codes : U.S. Constitution : Twenty-Sixth Amendment

U.S. Constitution: Twenty-Sixth Amendment
Twenty-Sixth Amendment - Reduction of Voting Age Qualification

Amendment Text | Annotations  

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Annotations

The Eighteen-Year-Old Vote

In extending the Voting Rights Act of 1965 in 1970 Congress included a provision lowering the age qualification to vote in all elections, federal, state, and local, to 18. In a divided decision, the Supreme Court held that Congress was empowered to lower the age qualification in federal elections, but voided the application of the provision in all other elections as beyond congressional power. Confronted thus with the possibility that they might have to maintain two sets of registration books and go to the expense of running separate election systems for federal elections and for all other elections, the States were receptive to the proposing of an Amendment by Congress to establish a minimum age qualification at 18 for all elections, and ratified it promptly.

Mega Joule

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2002, 01:19:43 am »

[quote author=Elizabeth
U.S. Constitution: Twenty-Sixth Amendment
Twenty-Sixth Amendment - Reduction of Voting Age Qualification

<snip> the States were receptive to the proposing of an Amendment by Congress to establish a minimum age qualification at 18 for all elections, and ratified it promptly.

Thanks Elizabeth for that clarification.  It's just not my area.

Mega Joule

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2002, 01:23:28 am »

News to me too; this has been very educational!   ;D

Thank goodness for the Internet, I don't know how I got through school without it.

Charno

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2002, 11:05:34 pm »

GANDALF THE WHITE

You can freely buy heroin and shoot up. Also, the Boy Scouts will be allowed to not let gays be scoutmasters.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything