Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NH House Passes Seat Belt Law - (Primary Law: Police can pull you over)  (Read 15469 times)

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
Re: NH House Passes Seat Belt Law - (Primary Law: Police can pull you over)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 08:44:24 am »

Hearing March 3rd Rm. 202 LOB 11am.
That bill is the House Ways & Means Committee. The only pertinent testimony there will be testimony about whether the bill will GAIN the state money, or COST the state money.

I can tell you one thing -- if a bunch of people come to that hearing, and politely, calmly inform the committee that they are willing to be imprisoned over this unjust law -- that may be the most effective way to help kill this bill at this point.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson

Michael Sutcliffe

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 07:50:34 am »

Did this become law in NH or not? I've pledged to move from Australia and I don't to move to anywhere as bad as where I currently live.

freedomroad

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 09:44:10 am »

It passed the NH state house but is really finished with the state house yet. It still has to pass the state senate.

BTW, if you look at the laws, I'm sure you will find that NH is much freer than Australia.  The US tends to be a little more free than Australia and New Hampshire is the freest state in the US.  I know the freedom of speech and gun laws are like night and day when you compare the US and Australia, for example.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 10:05:37 am »

Oops, didn’t realize there was a thread about this over here. Here are some updates:—

WSJ article on page A1 a couple days ago:—
http://www.nhliberty.org/forum/index.php?topic=2066.0

The final House hearing is this afternoon at 15:00. It’s going before Ways & Means for them to decide how much the fine should be. If you haven’t already signed the pledge I set up, and want to, don’t forget to do so before this afternoon:—
http://www.pledgebank.com/NH-HB383 (password is Kelly)

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 05:11:24 pm »

Presented the petition at the Committee meeting today. Have a total of 22 signers now. (Four signed in person at the hearing.) No questions from the Committee, other than a comment from Almy that the counties pay for prison costs, not the State. Jesse said he heard Jordan Ulery and Crate (the cop that’s always at the State House) making fun of us outside the hearing room after I testified.

Got an interesting statistic from Bob H. that court costs are approximately $100/hour, according to 2002 figures. It’s probably $150 or more now, seven years later.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report

Update: this bill is almost dead.  The Senate voted 14-10 against the committee's "Ought to Pass" recommendation.  The bill's sponsor then motioned that the bill be tabled and that passed 13-11.  When a bill is tabled, that means that it will die June 4 of this year, but can be brought back up by a majority vote.  Ergo, it's not dead yet, but it almost is (don't you wish you were here to help put the nail in the coffin?  Winning is fun, in case you've never experienced it  :)). 

There are two alternative theories for why the sponsor motioned to table this bill.  First, a motion to table is voted on without debate so it is a quick way to put the issue to bed and move on.  Second, she may be trying to twist enough arms to pick up the three votes she needs so she can bring it back up.  That's an uphill battle for her, but we are still fighting tooth and nail every step of the way. 

With enough work, we will pick up enough seats in the House in 2010 to make seat belts a non-issue again, just like they were for the last 20 years.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 04:54:35 pm by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org

They used to laugh in the State House when they tried to pull this seatbelt bill stuff.  Now it's a fight.  A few bad reps voted out in November goes a long way to making a legislative session more manageable--especially if Reps and Senators realize that they'll face stiff opposition next time for a bad voting record this time.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report

They used to laugh in the State House when they tried to pull this seatbelt bill stuff.  Now it's a fight.

That's only because the Dems got control because of a backlash against Bush.  When things get back to normal, it'll be a dead issue again.

This was the anti-freedom people's best shot at passing a seat belt bill in 20 years and it looks like they probably failed.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org

I never vote D or R.  Whoever shows the best voting record gets my vote.  If someone keeps voting statist, I start doing lit drops, donations, letters to the editor, phone calls, yard signs, poll standing...
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

lobstah

• FSP Participant
    • my music

They used to laugh in the State House when they tried to pull this seatbelt bill stuff.

that sounds beautiful.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.

Oops, didn’t realize there was a thread about this over here. Here are some updates:—
you posted on the first page  ;D
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant

Update: this bill is almost dead.  The Senate voted 14-10 against the committee's "Ought to Pass" recommendation.  The bill's sponsor then motioned that the bill be tabled and that passed 13-11.  When a bill is tabled, that means that it will die June 4 of this year, but can be brought back up by a majority vote.  Ergo, it's not dead yet, but it almost is (don't you wish you were here to help put the nail in the coffin?  Winning is fun, in case you've never experienced it  :)). 

There are two alternative theories for why the sponsor motioned to table this bill.  First, a motion to table is voted on without debate so it is a quick way to put the issue to bed and move on.  Second, she may be trying to twist enough arms to pick up the three votes she needs so she can bring it back up.  That's an uphill battle for her, but we are still fighting tooth and nail every step of the way. 

With enough work, we will pick up enough seats in the House in 2010 to make seat belts a non-issue again, just like they were for the last 20 years.

Thanks for the update.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

freedomroad

Apparently there is also a third theory - my theory.  The sponsors and the people likely in support of the bill voted to table it.  It looks like the bill has enough votes in the Senate.  Maybe they don't have enough votes and need one more.  The reason the bill was tabled even if the bill has enough votes to pass may have something to do with the Governor not being on board. 

The sponsors of the bill have enough votes to bring it back and may have enough votes to pass it.  I wouldn't say this bill is almost dead.  It is still very much in play. 

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson

And, for anyone watching this thread, the bill is dead for the year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up