Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NH House Passes Seat Belt Law - (Primary Law: Police can pull you over)  (Read 15457 times)

anon37268573

• First1000

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2009/02/18/nh_house_passes_mandatory_seat_belt_bill/

CONCORD, N.H.—The New Hampshire House has voted in favor of a bill to make the Granite State the last U.S. jurisdiction to require all drivers and passengers to wear seat belts.

Under current law, only minors have to buckle up. The bill calls for a primary law, meaning police can pull over motorists solely for not wearing seat belts. Twenty-five states have primary laws, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

New Hampshire would receive $3.7 million in federal grants if it passes a primary law. The bill applies to all vehicles except large school buses, cars made before 1968 and vehicles making frequent stops for business purposes. Violators would face a $50 fine for the first offense and a $100 fine for each additional offense.

lloydbob1

Re: NH House Passes Seat Belt Law - (Primary Law: Police can pull you over)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:27:55 pm »

If they are concerned about safety, why the fines?

What can we do to cost the state the filthy 3.8 million?

D. Stewart

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:57:52 pm »

EDIT: I screwed up my facts.  Rechecking them now...

OK, this post used to assert that even Joel Winters voted for the amended bill.  I based this on the fact that I was concurrently searching on the gencourt website for vote results for all seven or eight of the Gold Standard votes from today.  Apparently something about the state of one query gets carried to other simultaneous queries (I haven't looked, maybe it uses cookies or sessions poorly, not really the point)... and the bottom line was when I thought I was looking at results for HB383 (seat belt ban bill) I was actually looking at HB276 (voter fraud entitlement bill).

So, no, Joel didn't vote for it, the correct list of people who did can be found at http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/bill_status/Roll_Calls/rc_yeahnay.aspx?yn=1&sy=2009&vs=24&lb=H&eb=HB0383&sortoption=&txtsessionyear=2009&txtbillnumber=HB383&ddlsponsors=&lsr=776

Still sucks that Joel voted for 276, though.  Oh well.

Sorry for the confusion.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:48:47 pm by Donald McFarlane »

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:01:18 pm »

New Hampshire would receive $3.7 million in federal grants if it passes a primary law.

There will be a day, hopefully SOON, when the media begins reporting "The House predicts that in addition to $3.7 million in Federal Grants, counties across the state will spend much, much more attempting to prosecute people who refuse to comply with the law or pay fines as a result of ignoring it."

Jerry

• Global Moderator
  • Next 1000
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:09:57 pm »

Fighting each and every ticket in court should do it.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:43:06 pm »

Fighting each and every ticket in court should do it.
and then not paying the fine

i wonder if they will actually pull people over for it .... I never got pulled over in california for not wearing a seatbelt
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 07:53:30 pm »

This same bill passed the house and died in the senate last time.  The battle's not done yet. 
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 09:09:47 pm »

Close vote. Did all of the Democratic House leadership vote for it? Norelli didn't vote - is that normal?
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:43:11 am »

I based this on the fact that I was concurrently searching on the gencourt website for vote results for all seven or eight of the Gold Standard votes from today.

I’ve been posting the vote results to the respective Gold Standard posts on the NHLA site, so people don’t need to use the State’s awful website. Here’s this week’s:—

http://www.nhliberty.org/forum/index.php?topic=1909.msg14638#msg14638

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 04:09:27 pm »

I've been hearing about this. It comes up over, and over, and over, and less people each time get all fired up over it since they're just plain tired of the issue, so eventually it passes the House. Next, Senate.

It reminds me of the vote for Ireland to join the EU:

The vote came up, was throughly trounced. It came up again, was trounced again. And again, but by a slightly smaller margin. And again, and again, and finally passed.

Of course, once passed, the issue is NEVER brought up for a vote again.

===

I'm looking forward to the day when laws get repealed this way, that those who demand control over other people's lives finally have to give up from exhaustion.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 07:38:43 pm »

Of course, once passed, the issue is NEVER brought up for a vote again.

Won’t happen here. If it ever does pass, there are enough libertarians in the House who will keep trying to repeal it until that bill passes.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 09:55:39 pm »

This one really bothers me. For one thing, it's a big selling point for NH to be the only state without mandatory seat belt and insurance laws. People have a hard time believing it. Like the cop from Chicago when I told him we open carry. Total disbelief.

On a personal note, two days before heading here we got pulled over. Not for breaking a traffic code or any such thing, just a cop randomly running license plates. It turned out our was suspended. Why? Well the law requires an insurance company to notify DMV when someone cancels their insurance. Of course there is no law requiring them to notify DMV when you get a new policy so... when we switched carriers, the old one notified DMV and the new one didn't so even though there was never a lapse in coverage, our plates ended up suspended for no insurance.

So the cops asks me (the passenger) for id and of course I refuse. He's a little confused at first but quickly regains his composure and calls for back up. Then of course there's the step out of the car Terry pat followed by the usual retarded questions. Bottom line; even though there is no law that requires me to carry id or show it to him, they never let a little thing like the law stand it their way.

He claims that I wasn't wearing my seat belt. He can see this in the dark through tinted windows! Since I wasn't wearing a seat belt, he's going to write me a citation. Since it's a violation of the motor vehicle code, now I do have to show id and if I don't he'll arrest me.

Then it's off to the hoosegow for me where he rifles through my wallet and wonders out loud why, since I have no outstanding warrants, I wouldn't just show him the id to begin with. The rest is irrelevant but the point is, this is the kind of crap we can expect to come of this law.

I plan to contact every single senator personally and I hope everyone jumps on board with this issue. It would be a shame to be seen as losing ground here.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

Dosazu

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 10:51:43 pm »

I dunno, it involves federal monies and it just seems like once it gets its grease on the books, well, you can't wash that off.

lloydbob1

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 10:42:04 am »

Hearing March 3rd Rm. 202 LOB 11am.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up