Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Books about homeschooling  (Read 4581 times)

teemuv

• http://en.teemuvalimaki.fi/
Books about homeschooling
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:42:06 pm »

As homeschooling is not even know in Finland, I've been looking for good books on the matter. Does anyone happen to know a book that could be recommended to learn more about homeschooling? I would be mainly interested of a book, that discusses on a basic level of the methods and gives some good points of the differences of gov. vs. home schools.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Books about homeschooling
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:40:12 pm »

From a Homeschooling friend:

For us, a great introductory book was "Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling" by Mary Pride. The book is loaded with specific resources and websites for additional research. She is a Christian homeschooler and some of her comments are definitely flavored by that perspective, but her advise is outstanding regardless of religious affiliation. There are the headings on the contents page:
part 1: what's it all about?
part 2: steps to a successful homeschool
part 3: how kids really learn
part 4: education 101
part 5: popular homeschool methods
part 6: taking the mystery out of unit studies
part 7: planning and record keeping
part 8: testing and standards
part 9: homeschooling your special-needs child
part 10: homeschooling your gifted child
part 11: homeschooling with a school or group
part 12: homeschooling away from home

Another excellent resource is the New Hampshire Homeschooling Coalition's website, especially the "curriculum" page. This would be a great resource for further research as this person delves into the various options for homeschooling. The NHHC also published a guidebook that can be purchased online. Some of the book is specific to NH, but it has hundreds of resources and websites listed.

I must admit I'm partial to the Classical and Charlotte Mason approaches. There are oodles of resources available for these methods, just google them. To get an idea of these approaches, I'd recommend "The Well Trained Mind" and The Ambleside Online site. Books by John Holt are great leads for "unschooling" We use the Robinson Curriculum a lot. It's available on  multiple CD's and is suitable for kids in kindergarten though high school. Very reasonably priced when it can be used for multiple children for so many years. Saxon and Singapore math are among the best math textbook publishers in the world and I highly recommend them. They even publish editions specifically for homeschool students.

teemuv

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 02:43:50 pm »

From a Homeschooling friend:
Just wow! :o

Thank you so much for all the information. This all sounds what I've been looking for. The book by Mary Pride does seem to have all the basics that I asked for. I'll probably get that to my private library.

teemuv

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:58:38 am »

The book by Mary Pride does seem to have all the basics that I asked for. I'll probably get that to my private library.
And bought it. Now it's on the way. Hurray!
Pages: [1]   Go Up