Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison of WY firearms laws to NH  (Read 4335 times)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Comparison of WY firearms laws to NH
« on: February 14, 2009, 06:22:36 pm »

I was perusing Wyoming's statutes and was shocked...wow...

For example, did you know that in WYOMING,

- You cannot receive a license to carry concealed if you are ever convicted of any drug offense (what?  :o)

- You have to wait 6 months from the date you move to get a license to carry concealed (no time limit in NH...btw, I think this statute is unconstitutional. See Saenz v. Roe).

- You have the burden to prove that you are capable of handling a firearm before getting a license (no such requirement in NH)

- You can't carry into police stations, can't carry into any government offices or legislative meetings, you can't carry into any place of public worship, you can't carry into any school (none of these are true in NH...only places off limits in NH are court rooms)

- You must submit a full set of fingerprints.  In New Hampshire, law explicitly states that you may NOT require a photograph or fingerprints with an application for a License to Carry Concealed.  (This is a big one for me.  I actually started OCing in Virginia because my city required fingerprints and I refused to submit them).

- If you are wrongfully denied a permit, the Wyoming statute explicitly states that the individual who wrongfully denied you cannot be personally liable.  In NH, it explicitly states that you can be awarded damages (from the entity or the individual)

- Costs $50 in WY (costs $10 in NH)

- Takes 60 days to get a permit in WY (takes a maximum of 14 in NH)

- You can't get a license until you're 21 (no age limit in NH).

So...that's what I came up with in 10 minutes.  If I read the Wyoming statute more closely, I'm sure I could find more. 

Wow!  Because the FSW chose Wyoming, I just assumed their gun laws were good.  Boy, was I wrong.

Here are the Wyoming Statutes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:19:54 pm by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Comparison of WY firearms laws to NH
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:47:41 pm »

Wow. Doesn't sound very friendly at all! :-\

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:59:24 pm »

Apparently the FSW folks are to busy polishing their toys instead of engaging in activism. Sorry if that one was below the belt. Couldn't resist

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 07:13:16 pm »

Apparently the FSW folks are to busy polishing their toys instead of engaging in activism. Sorry if that one was below the belt. Couldn't resist

I like a lot of the FSW folks and I help the FSW whenever I can.  I'm really excited to meet Boston in March at the Liberty Forum.  I actually considered joining FSW for awhile.  I'm 100% sure I made the right choice though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:20:00 pm by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 08:56:51 pm »

Of course, there are things about WY's laws which are better than NH. 

I heard that WY is scared to change some of the concealed carry permit laws because lots of WY folks travel to CO and CO has pretty bad gun laws.

WY is still better than most states when it comes to gun laws :)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:33:11 pm »

I heard that WY is scared to change some of the concealed carry permit laws because lots of WY folks travel to CO and CO has pretty bad gun laws.

But c'mon, that can't compare to NH & MA!
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

motoracer51

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 10:46:14 am »

Outside of Denver, Colorado's laws are pretty good; although not as good as NH.

I carry everywhere.  Concealed means concealed.

freedomroad

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:05:48 am »

Outside of Denver, Colorado's laws are pretty good; although not as good as NH.

I carry everywhere.  Concealed means concealed.

I hear what you are saying, but there any many hoops you have to jump through to get a concealed carry permit in CO.  WY also has these hoops; whereas, NH doesn't have most of them, or they are much smaller hoops in NH.  I was told be people in the WY movement that gun owners were scared that if WY had much less restrictive laws when it came to CC (like NH laws, for example), that WY may lose it's agreement with CO.

Nevertheless, I feel that the freedom movement in WY is in a position to reduce WY gun laws over the next few years.

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 12:02:10 pm »

In fairness, a lot of the FSW guys emphasize long guns. Guns are like... really high on their list of things, so if they begin to make changes, that's probably one of the first things that will change.

New Hampshire still has a bit to go before people's rights to carry "shall not be infringed".

And yeah, I'm quite happy with my choice of NH over WY.  :D Now I just have to actually MOVE.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 12:23:40 pm »

I never found out about the FSW until after I moved to NH...otherwise I would probably be there....it would have been a closer move.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 04:08:23 pm »

WY also has these hoops; whereas, NH doesn't have most of them, or they are much smaller hoops in NH. 

The only "hoop" in NH is you walk into the police station, take 4 minutes to fill out a one page form, and stop back in 2 weeks.  That's it.

I was told be people in the WY movement that gun owners were scared that if WY had much less restrictive laws when it came to CC (like NH laws, for example), that WY may lose it's agreement with CO.

The fear-driven inertia among pro-gun people drives me nuts.  We have it in NH too.  They're always worried that just one more freedom will cause a backlash that will take everything away from them.  Maybe they're right and I'm just not informed...I dunno.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:20:05 pm by sj »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 04:09:26 pm »

I never found out about the FSW until after I moved to NH...otherwise I would probably be there....it would have been a closer move.

I'm very glad we have you here.

JohnDelano

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 05:28:07 pm »

Could somebody visiting from out of state get one by just paying $10 to the local gang?

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 05:47:26 pm »

No, out of state people have to pay $20 to the state police.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-6.htm

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 08:06:07 pm »

Could somebody visiting from out of state get one by just paying $10 to the local gang?

No, out of state people have to pay $20 to the state police.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XII/159/159-6.htm

And then there’s the reciprocity situation—if you have New Hampshire’s CCW license, is it good in any other States you plan to go to, particularly your home State?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up