Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschool activism  (Read 2323 times)

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Homeschool activism
« on: February 12, 2009, 07:25:09 pm »

We should promote the homeschool activism from Wednesday on the front page. It's a great example of how early movers, long-time liberty lovers, and groups that are aligned with us on this issue (HSLDA, other homeschool groups) came together to show strong support against two bills to try to restrict homeschool freedom.

Union Leader
http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Home-school+backers+pack+State+House&articleId=0c2b5788-dbd1-40c5-96c4-d73b3b13f42d

picked up by MSNBC
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29151564/

Nashua Telegraph
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090212/NEWS01/302129814

another Nashua Telegraph story, about an individual family
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090212/NEWS01/302129813

Concord Monitor
http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090212/NEWS01/902120349

Notes from my wife:
Wednesday's hearings totally packed Rep Hall with crammed aisles (seats 450), standing-room-only in the balcony, and people filed out doors, along the hall, down the stairs, and out the doors to the Capital. Concord Police and the WMUR (the only NH-based tv station) reporter estimated the crowd as high as 1200. Numerous reps commented that they've never seen a a turnout like this EVER, even for gun-rights bills which usually pack big rooms of the legislative offices and Capital. If this estimate is in the ballpark, then that would be roughly 1/4 of the homeschoolers in the entire state.

There was a lot of work that occurred before the hearings that the stories don't document. The House Education Committee members were inundated with emails, letters, and phone calls prior to the hearing. Homeschoolers also flooded their local reps.  Homeschoolers wrote letters to the editor for area newspapers and a few were published. Local groups held pow-wow sessions to strategize and plan testimony and arrange babysitting and car-pooling. A group of homeschoolers all pitched in to print up 1000 big stickers that said "ITL HB 367 and HB 368." (Translated it means that the committee should recommend to kill both bills.) All the stickers were taken and people were looking for more. It took the HEC more than 30 minutes to even start the hearing because they didn't have the sign-in sheets and testimony slips ready when the doors opened. The big pro-homeschool group called the Home School Legal Defense Association flew one of their top lawyers from VA for the testimony.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re: Homeschool activism
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:53:00 am »

I was there, along with Seth and a bunch of other freedom activists along with the rest of half of New Hampshire. It was heartening to see so many come out against further encroachment into homeschooling.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 04:52:55 pm »

If anyone writes something up and sends it to me, I'll get it on the front page.

Let me tell you something...that was the most awesome event I have ever seen.  I came there kind of angry and frustrated.  Homeschooling is probably the only issue I actually get emotional about because it's (a) personal with me and (b) such a basic "you get it or you don't" type of issue.  Well, I drove up and there were throngs - throngs - of people.  People everywhere!  I hurried up and ran to the staircase and it was already packed.  The hall was packed; the main room was packed; the balcony was packed; the staircase was packed.  It lasted almost 7 hours (about 5 hours longer than they scheduled) and that's only because like 2/3 of the people who had handed in cards to speak gave up their speaking slots.

I was one of the last to speak.  It was my...,I think, 3rd time speaking before an NH committee.  I was the only homeschool graduate to speak and, perhaps for that reason, I felt like the committee really listened to me.  They interrupted with positive comments while I was talking and I could tell I had their eyes at all times.  I told mainly two anecdotes about my homeschooling experience and how this legislation would have destroyed my chance at success.  My comments lasted about 2 minutes.

I was so happy that evening that I talked my wife's ear off with excitement.  It was a good day.  I'm 99% sure we killed this legislation.  The sponsor looked like she was about to cry by the end of the hearing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:59:39 am by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:56:30 pm »

Well, I drove up and there were throngs - throngs - of people.  People everywhere!  I hurried up and ran to the staircase and it was already packed.  The hall was packed; the main room was packed; the balcony was packed; the staircase was packed.
I so can't wait to be involved in such high-energy activism (w/ so many people) at a state house over proposed legislation. I've been to packed RP events but nothing involving legislation that will affect my life--that I truly will be able to have a legitimate say in.

The sponsor looked like she was about to cry by the end of the hearing.
Well, she should be ashamed of herself. "Get with the program lady!"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:59:59 am by sj »
Pages: [1]   Go Up