Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prospective Participant and Future NH Resident Here...  (Read 7495 times)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Prospective Participant and Future NH Resident Here...
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 02:27:09 pm »

ID has totally unregulated homeschooling, it's one of the best states, if not the best state, in the country for that. NH has a medium degree of regulation, and this is an area where more could be done to make NH more attractive to our sort.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

vjenks

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 02:29:29 pm »

vjenks, I'm moving probably over the summer myself. I'm a nix sysadmin and have evolved from conservative to anarchist. I plan to homeschool my son. So it looks like we've got a lot in common and I look forward to seeing you in NH. :)

Awesome!  I'm a Linux, Java, open source geek myself. ;)  I like your blog, well done!  I look forward to meeting ya.  That goes for everyone!

vjenks

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 02:32:22 pm »

ID has totally unregulated homeschooling, it's one of the best states, if not the best state, in the country for that. NH has a medium degree of regulation, and this is an area where more could be done to make NH more attractive to our sort.

Yeah, it's under regular attack here like it is everywhere, of course.  However, while we were homeschooling here we never had so much as an inquiry by anyone.  It's pretty much taken for granted.

I'll do some research on NH's homeschooling issues and see what I can find.  I'm not sure I'd be able to stomach any sort of compliance with the state in that area, however.

vjenks

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 06:47:59 pm »

Oh wow - homeschooling in NH is incredibly restrictive!  I'm actually quite disappointed in what I've read today.  It seems that NH has some of the *worst* homeschooling laws in the country.  There is no way that I could comply with that sort of oversight from the state.  How heavily is this issue being debated and chipped-away at?  How did this sort of rubbish ever get put into law in a state that is obviously pro-liberty?

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 06:53:53 pm »

I haven't looked into the homeschool laws in NH yet so, gah, that sucks. However, I don't plan to comply with any state oversight whatsoever. Call it civil disobedience. Do they really enforce all of it? How?

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 07:49:53 pm »

Do they really enforce all of it? How?

I would seriously consider this question before doing civil disobedience with my own children.  I.e., do they take kids away who are perennially "truant?"
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 07:51:22 pm »

You guys should go over to www.nhliberty.org  and read the threads on this... over 1000 homeschoolers showed up at the State House this month.

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 07:57:37 pm »

Will do.

I just read over the requirements and sadly I was planning on forming some kind of relationship with a school anyway, and doing so may get me compliant with that stuff anyway, or most of it.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 08:15:12 pm »

You guys should go over to www.nhliberty.org  and read the threads on this... over 1000 homeschoolers showed up at the State House this month.

Yep, NH home schoolers produced the biggest turnout in history.  Representatives Hall, the gallery, the hall, the stair cases...packed.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

vjenks

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 08:53:21 pm »

Do they really enforce all of it? How?

I would seriously consider this question before doing civil disobedience with my own children.  I.e., do they take kids away who are perennially "truant?"

And therein lies my concern.  I would never answer to the state about my kids' education - it's simply not their place and it's none of their business.  The result of that kind of civil disobedience would certainly end with them using force and/or kidnapping my kids...and unfortunately (for them) I wouldn't allow that to happen peacefully.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:23:54 pm by sj »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »

Chances of the home schooling law improving are good, especially after the legislature goes back to normal (i.e., back into Republican hands).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up