Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Prospective Participant and Future NH Resident Here...  (Read 7478 times)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
Re: Prospective Participant and Future NH Resident Here...
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 04:13:40 am »

if you know inflation is coming, why not sign a contract to pay a bank some dollars in the future?
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

motoracer51

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 09:23:00 am »

If you don't mind me asking, what state out west are you coming from?

Colorado ( originally from NY ) resident here, getting ready to move to NH; hopefully in the spring/summer.

vjenks

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 10:26:58 am »

if you know inflation is coming, why not sign a contract to pay a bank some dollars in the future?

If I "buy" a house for $250k now, will I be able to afford it when my salary is essentially worth half of what it is today, by this time next year?  Who else would buy it from me when they're in the same boat?  What happens to the bank I signed the contract with if they go TU...will they become a function of the federal gov't?  Has my mortgage already made it's way to Fannie's house where it's already property of the federal gov't?  It seems like a bad time to be getting involved with banks and promising a certain amount of dollars today with a very uncertain amount of value tomorrow.

But all of that aside, like I said - I'd mostly like the freedom to get comfy in the state first and get to know it better before making that type of commitment.

vjenks

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 10:28:45 am »

If you don't mind me asking, what state out west are you coming from?

Colorado ( originally from NY ) resident here, getting ready to move to NH; hopefully in the spring/summer.

I live in Idaho, I've been here for about 6 yrs.  Congrats!  I hope to at least make it out for a visit in March or June.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 12:07:58 pm »

so the decision to buy the house would be based on your salary and price .... not so much on whether housing prices are going down

I guess I am trying to tear away the media hype of bubbles and busts ... why not buy and sell opposite of the crowd ... you do that by ignoring the rumors :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

vjenks

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 12:19:45 pm »

so the decision to buy the house would be based on your salary and price .... not so much on whether housing prices are going down

I guess I am trying to tear away the media hype of bubbles and busts ... why not buy and sell opposite of the crowd ... you do that by ignoring the rumors :)

Not entirely, my decision to buy a home would be based on all of the items considered; interest rate, price of the home, location, salary, long-term plans, etc.  Personally, I don't believe that prices have bottomed out but my assessment is based on what I see happening here in the northwest.  I see Idaho's housing price stability generally on par with NH, after a brief glance on the web.  Prices have gone down here but not nearly as dramatically as the hotter markets, during the boom.  I still believe they have quite a ways to go, also.  I could be wrong about NH, maybe it'll buck the national trend somehow.  Did the price of homes rise fairly dramatically during the boom, there in NH? 

Maybe I show up and prices *have* bottomed but rates have gone up considerably, it's my loss.  Maybe I show up and rates haven't peaked but prices have bottomed, big win!  I have no idea...I'm not going to stress too much about it.  I won't finance a home anywhere this year, for certain.

But again, freedom is my first concern while living in a new and unfamiliar state.  Renting allows more freedom, IMO.

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 06:15:40 pm »

Some people overthink things. I find it easier to center myself. Try to live today the life that I want today. Stay true to my principles and take some step today toward the life that I want in the future. If I tried to juggle the factors out of my control, I would never get anywhere.

I agree that renting gives you flexibility and many don't value that enough.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 06:56:32 pm »

I agree.
if I was in your position, I would be glad houses have gone down and very well might be lower in a year or 2

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 11:46:25 pm »

Welcome! ;D

vjenks

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 11:13:51 am »

Well, the job search is on!  I'm hoping we make it sometime in the next 6 mo.  I've got some simple questions that pertain to our move, specifically.

1. How do I get my guns there?  Would I have to ship them through a dealer or are they legally transportable across state-lines if they are unloaded and locked away?  It's a naive question but it's something I know nothing about...I've never taken guns outside of the state.

2. What are some homeschooling groups we could get in touch with?

3. I think I'd like to live in Manchester - is there any specific part of town to avoid?  I'd like to live in a real neighborhood, not a community-in-a-box subdivision type of place.  I have a family and would like to be in a nice, clean middle-class-ish neighborhood.

4. Which parts of Manch. are the best bang for the buck, rent-wise (single-family home)?

Where we live all depends on what type of job offers I get but Manchester is most appealing to me.  There seems to be more IT/web jobs in Nashua - what would a commute between Nashua and Manch. be like?  Lots of traffic?

Thanks all!

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 11:47:38 am »

Well, the job search is on!  I'm hoping we make it sometime in the next 6 mo.  I've got some simple questions that pertain to our move, specifically.

1. How do I get my guns there?  Would I have to ship them through a dealer or are they legally transportable across state-lines if they are unloaded and locked away?  It's a naive question but it's something I know nothing about...I've never taken guns outside of the state.
Someone who knows this better than I do can answer.. but I think your answer is correct as long as they are unloaded and locked.

http://www.nhhomeschooling.org/
http://www.mv.com/ipusers/chenh/index.php?page=home
http://www.leapingfromthebox.com/hs/elists/newhampshire.html
and there are more.

3. I think I'd like to live in Manchester - is there any specific part of town to avoid?  I'd like to live in a real neighborhood, not a community-in-a-box subdivision type of place.  I have a family and would like to be in a nice, clean middle-class-ish neighborhood.

I think that the 'north' side of Manch has that feel to it.

4. Which parts of Manch. are the best bang for the buck, rent-wise (single-family home)?
dunno

Where we live all depends on what type of job offers I get but Manchester is most appealing to me.  There seems to be more IT/web jobs in Nashua - what would a commute between Nashua and Manch. be like?  Lots of traffic?

Thanks all!
[/quote]

no not too much maybe 20-30 minutes depends on the roads and time of day.

vjenks

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 12:04:53 pm »

Thanks Dreepa.

I have another question...this time about activism.  I'd definitely like to be more active, especially once we've moved to NH.  So far I've (regrettably) limited myself to educating friends, family and interested strangers.  I'm most interested in the free-market side of things and I'm fairly passionate about Austrian economics.  However, I'm deeply interested in all facets of liberty as none of them are mutually exclusive.  I'm closest to the right-Libertarian or even Anarcho-Capitalist side of the spectrum with some (genuinely) conservative leanings.

How can I get involved?  Where can I be useful?  It's a broad question but it just reflects my ignorance on what type of activism is really going on there...so you'll have to forgive me. :)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 12:41:17 pm »

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.  If you need one, you'll need to hire one.

Keep your guns unloaded and locked (in the trunk is ok) and don't stop for any extended stays in New York, Massachussetts, New Jersey, etc, where they might be illegal; you'll be fine.  See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#.22Safe_passage.22_provisionHere's the text of the law itself.

Note that the law doesn't cover ammunition so you may want to ship that (especially hollow points which are illegal with strict penalties in some states). 

More home schoolers = awesome!  In addition to what Chris posted, there's also http://www.mv.com/ipusers/chenh/index.php?page=home

The NH Homeschooling Coalition should be able to help you hook up with a local group once you settle in.

My limited experience suggests there won't be any bad traffic.  I would ask someone with more experience though.

...some (genuinely) conservative leanings.

Me too!

How can I get involved?  Where can I be useful?  It's a broad question but it just reflects my ignorance on what type of activism is really going on there...so you'll have to forgive me. :)

That really depends on you.  If you want to get involved with New Hampshire's amazing political process, join the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance (now, before you move) and get involved with them.  You'll only be 30 minutes or so from Concord if you live in Manchester.  There are also some interesting political things going on in Manchester (one of the Reps in Manchester is a Free Stater).

If you're interested in other things (like setting up alternative markets or civil disobedience), it will all be very easy to get involved with.  Once you settle in, the things that seem confusing now will be easy then because you'll know people.  Taproom Tuesdays is a great place to meet people.  There is also a lot of organizing on facebook.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:30:26 pm by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

George Donnelly

• FSP Participant
  • Moving to NH ... some day?
    • Arm your Mind for Liberty
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 01:17:23 pm »

vjenks, I'm moving probably over the summer myself. I'm a nix sysadmin and have evolved from conservative to anarchist. I plan to homeschool my son. So it looks like we've got a lot in common and I look forward to seeing you in NH. :)

vjenks

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 02:24:20 pm »

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.  If you need one, you'll need to hire one.

Keep your guns unloaded and locked (in the trunk is ok) and don't stop for any extended stays in New York, Massachussetts, New Jersey, etc, where they might be illegal; you'll be fine.  See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#.22Safe_passage.22_provisionHere's the text of the law itself.

Note that the law doesn't cover ammunition so you may want to ship that (especially hollow points which are illegal with strict penalties in some states). 

More home schoolers = awesome!  In addition to what Chris posted, there's also http://www.mv.com/ipusers/chenh/index.php?page=home

The NH Homeschooling Coalition should be able to help you hook up with a local group once you settle in.

My limited experience suggests there won't be any bad traffic.  I would ask someone with more experience though.

...some (genuinely) conservative leanings.

Me too!

That really depends on you.  If you want to get involved with New Hampshire's amazing political process, join the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance (now, before you move) and get involved with them.  You'll only be 30 minutes or so from Concord if you live in Manchester.  There are also some interesting political things going on in Manchester (one of the Reps in Manchester is a Free Stater).

If you're interested in other things (like setting up alternative markets or civil disobedience), it will all be very easy to get involved with.  Once you settle in, the things that seem confusing now will be easy then because you'll know people.  Taproom Tuesdays is a great place to meet people.  There is also a lot of organizing on facebook.

Excellent, thank you.  I'll need to read up on the differences in homeschooling between NH and ID.  I suppose my first act of civil disobedience would be to ignore any demands from the state of NH in that area...should there be any. ;)  Our main concern is the social aspect - we'll need other homeschoolers for the kids to be involved with.  It looks like there won't be any shortage! :)

Alternative markets would be very interesting, perhaps even different types of civil disobedience - I guess it'll come down to meeting some folks once I get there.  I'd like to take up my own entrepreneurial ambitions once we're established as well, NH seems like a relatively great state to run a business.

I'm not sure how involved I'd like to be with the political process, depending on how accessible and participatory it is.  I'll check out the nhliberty link, thanks!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 06:32:00 pm by sj »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up