Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Woah - We just low balled a house for sale in NH, and they want the offer in writing ...What to do..  (Read 7064 times)

citizen_142002

• Friend of the FSP
  • I'm a llama!

As a NH native, I can say that New Hampshire would not be as free as it is without the efforts of Free State Project movers.

The whole country took a left turn in reaction to the Bush administration, but I'm not sure that will have any lasting effect. Things are moving so fast that there is no way to say for sure what will happen over the next few years. The Obama administration may not be so well liked when Americans come to realize that the economy isn't going to turn around overnight, and that taxes will increase along with the size of government.

New Hampshire had a very long history of having a strong GOP, that was more fiscally conservative and socially liberal relative to other parts of the country. I wouldn't be quick to say that Democrats are locked in as the governing party in the long term. The fact that there are so many representatives per capita in New Hampshire mean that motivated people can make a difference. You are much more likely to know your state politicians personally in NH than in CO, and it's not too terribly difficult to become a state rep yourself. In your case if the incumbent in your area is a Democrat, you may find that no one else cares to run against them, or if they're a Republican you may be able to make friends with them, and run whenever they decide they're done with that gig.

The winters here do get cold, and I wouldn't try to mislead anyone into thinking otherwise, but most of the movers from warm climates don't seem to think it's too bad. I've lived here all my life, but from what I've heard you get used to it pretty quickly. Being near the national forest means there are all  kinds of outdoor activities to engage in winter or summer.

I'd love for you to join us here in New Hampshire, but ultimately its up to you. I'd also recommend that you ask for some kind of initial inspection sooner than spring, or at the least make sure that there's a blowout clause in the written offer.

motoracer51

Thanks guys for the info so far.

I'm planning on getting a flight in the nest week or so out there; either into Manchester or Long Island.

The house has some "issues" and I wouldn't want to close until it starts getting a bit warmer and everything begins to melt off.  What month would you guys say that the day time highs are in the mid 50's to 60?  I figure I'll take the summer to get the things done that we need done.  Outdoor wood boiler, getting cable run to the house, and remedying the leaking foundation.

Has there been any movement on a "Castle Doctrine" law in NH there?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator

I'm planning on getting a flight in the nest week or so out there; either into Manchester or Long Island.

The house has some "issues" and I wouldn't want to close until it starts getting a bit warmer and everything begins to melt off.  What month would you guys say that the day time highs are in the mid 50's to 60?  I figure I'll take the summer to get the things done that we need done.  Outdoor wood boiler, getting cable run to the house, and remedying the leaking foundation.

I would say April/May

The Castle Doctrine bill is before the NH house this year.
It passed in the past and the governor vetoed it.

Come visit in March in 3 weeks and go to the LIberty Forum

motoracer51

I would say April/May

I think I will.  My window of travel is March 2-17th, so it's easily doable.  Hopefully I'll be there with the wife and father in-law.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator

I would say April/May

I think I will.  My window of travel is March 2-17th, so it's easily doable.  Hopefully I'll be there with the wife and father in-law.
www.freestateproject.org/libertyforum
use code 2009VP for a 10% discount

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom

Apparently people haven't fully grasped just how bad the housing market is right now, and I'm far from confident that it's hit bottom already. Maybe it has, but I'm not confident. Inflation will definitely happen as the Feds get more intrusive, but I don't think the deflationary cycle is complete yet.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant

Apparently people haven't fully grasped just how bad the housing market is right now, and I'm far from confident that it's hit bottom already. Maybe it has, but I'm not confident. Inflation will definitely happen as the Feds get more intrusive, but I don't think the deflationary cycle is complete yet.

It's certainly possible but I think the next big real estate downturn will be commercial which has so far remained mostly unaffected. With large scale closing of retail outlets, this is where my concern would be. A good indicator is the overall number of houses available for sale. Perhaps Mark could help us out with these figures for the last 3 years and the last 6 months.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

motoracer51

It's certainly possible but I think the next big real estate downturn will be commercial which has so far remained mostly unaffected. With large scale closing of retail outlets, this is where my concern would be. A good indicator is the overall number of houses available for sale. Perhaps Mark could help us out with these figures for the last 3 years and the last 6 months.

I thought I heard  on the news within the last few days that sales of existing homes rose over 6% nationally.

It might not be the bottom, but it seems like some buyers think it is.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant

Outdoor wood boiler...

I'm not going to derail this thread, but I'd be happy to go over the wood heat options with you via PM or email, as that's my line of business...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

motoracer51

Outdoor wood boiler...

I'm not going to derail this thread, but I'd be happy to go over the wood heat options with you via PM or email, as that's my line of business...

Joe

IM Sent.

ny2nh

I would say April/May
[/quote]

I'd say more towards May into June.

MK

• AKA Markus

I think you and you wife would fit in just fine.  The Free State Project is about Liberty Lovers concentrating on living in one geographic region and then doing their own thing.  It's exciting and contagious to be around so many people who understand the principles of Liberty/Freedom so well.  It's a lot of fun.  Everyone is friendly in person (but sometimes a little tough on the forums!), but don't pay them much mind (they're harmless!).  

Having lived in SW Colorado (Durango area), I can tell you NH is beautiful state.  My favorite part is getting into the woods because it's easy to see that they are the same, they look the same, as they did a few hundred years ago, when the first liberty lovers were "running round" these parts.  

PS: Definitely attend the Liberty Forum (!).  It's going to be awesome and there couldn't be a better way to see just "who" makes up this thing called The Free State Project!  
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate

I used to live in Denver, and the winters here are harder.  I moved to NH from Las Vegas, NV, so the winters take some getting used to.  That said, keeping the fires of liberty burning will help you stay warm through the cold months.  Or try one of Joe's wood-burning stoves.

Please try to attend the Liberty Forum March 5-8.  If you'd like to tour some real estate opportunities here during your visit, let me know.

I agree with Dale and Keyser in that we have not yet hit bottom in the R.E. market.  However, if you are going to finance a purchase, as most Americans do, now is very close to the perfect storm, or sweet spot, of purchasing -- with low prices and low interest rates.  Lock in to a 15- or 30-year loan in today's dollars and pay it back in future, devalued FRNs or Ameros, and you're golden.  I'm a buyer in today's market, this year.

Despite what some local commercial R.E. investors tell me, I believe that the commercial market will lag the residential market by 12-18 months, leading to significant deals in commercial buildings next year.  Although I'd love to buy one now, I think it's better to purchase residential this year and commercial next year.  Keep in mind that the trough here won't be as bad as the rest of the country.  NH is not immune, but it is less impacted by US problems.

That's my 2 cents.  Let us know how we can make your visit more enjoyable or informational.

Mark
Porcupine Realtor
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

madeinmotown

I've posted here a few times in the past, and lurk on a daily basis.  The wife and I are interested in the FSP, and NH is really the only palatable state for me in the north east that I can live in.

Yesterday we gave a low ball offer on a house in Central/Northern NH, and it seems like the owners are ready to dump it. The broker got back to us today and said to put it in writing and that an inspection would best be done in spring time.

This house originally was listed at $699K and we offered $300K.

House is built in 2004, ~4000sq/ft on about 75 acres bordering the National Forest. TONS of water and trees, something we lack in Colorado, and the west in general.

Now this is taking me by surprise as I figured that we'd be laughed at with that offer, and I'm really skeptical about NH in general, given the severe political swing in the last 2 election cycles.  I love the FSP idea, and have heard of it's progress, but still have my fears of certain things in NH, and the north east in general like:

-LONG and COLD winters.
-Seems to becoming more Liberal judging by the last 2 election cycles.

What to do...

Well, can you afford to take out a mortgage on a $300 home given whatever down payment you have?  Are you really commited to making this move?  Can you take out a piece of paper and write down your top 20 priorities in this life and does this move fit that list?  You are the only one who can answer these questions.  If you're only worried about water in CO, don't sweat it, Michigan's governor is ready to bend over and give away the only asset MI has, so just make sure your good friend, the senator, is first in line.  :)

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity

What long and cold winters? It was 47 today! Shorts weather! :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up