Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Woah - We just low balled a house for sale in NH, and they want the offer in writing ...What to do..  (Read 7059 times)

motoracer51

I've posted here a few times in the past, and lurk on a daily basis.  The wife and I are interested in the FSP, and NH is really the only palatable state for me in the north east that I can live in.

Yesterday we gave a low ball offer on a house in Central/Northern NH, and it seems like the owners are ready to dump it. The broker got back to us today and said to put it in writing and that an inspection would best be done in spring time.

This house originally was listed at $699K and we offered $300K.

House is built in 2004, ~4000sq/ft on about 75 acres bordering the National Forest. TONS of water and trees, something we lack in Colorado, and the west in general.

Now this is taking me by surprise as I figured that we'd be laughed at with that offer, and I'm really skeptical about NH in general, given the severe political swing in the last 2 election cycles.  I love the FSP idea, and have heard of it's progress, but still have my fears of certain things in NH, and the north east in general like:

-LONG and COLD winters.
-Seems to becoming more Liberal judging by the last 2 election cycles.

What to do...

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator

I've posted here a few times in the past, and lurk on a daily basis.  The wife and I are interested in the FSP, and NH is really the only palatable state for me in the north east that I can live in.

Yesterday we gave a low ball offer on a house in Central/Northern NH, and it seems like the owners are ready to dump it. The broker got back to us today and said to put it in writing and that an inspection would best be done in spring time.

This house originally was listed at $699K and we offered $300K.

House is built in 2004, ~4000sq/ft on about 75 acres bordering the National Forest. TONS of water and trees, something we lack in Colorado, and the west in general.

Now this is taking me by surprise as I figured that we'd be laughed at with that offer, and I'm really skeptical about NH in general, given the severe political swing in the last 2 election cycles.  I love the FSP idea, and have heard of it's progress, but still have my fears of certain things in NH, and the north east in general like:

-LONG and COLD winters.
-Seems to becoming more Liberal judging by the last 2 election cycles.

What to do...

yes the winters can be long and cold.
The federal elections are Reactions AGAINST bush... I don't think the state is any more liberal.
We did get 4 FSPers elected to the NH house.
We are making gains... we just need more people... more doers here in NH.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.

Now this is taking me by surprise as I figured that we'd be laughed at with that offer, and I'm really skeptical about NH in general, given the severe political swing in the last 2 election cycles.
I am really skeptical that you would be an asset to this movement. Nothing to see here .... move along. ;)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

motoracer51

Now this is taking me by surprise as I figured that we'd be laughed at with that offer, and I'm really skeptical about NH in general, given the severe political swing in the last 2 election cycles.
I am really skeptical that you would be an asset to this movement. Nothing to see here .... move along. ;)

I'm sorry you feel that way, but my wife and I are VERY active in the Republican party here in western Colorado, but we lean more Libertarian I'd say.

They've wanted to make my wife president of the Women's Republican Club after she had quite a few things published in the papers out here.  She's also published in law review where she went.

I'm willing to bet my Senators know me better than yours know you. ;)

But, maybe you're right, maybe we won't be helpful. :)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report

I'm sorry you feel that way, but my wife and I are VERY active in the Republican party here in western Colorado, but we lean more Libertarian I'd say.

They've wanted to make my wife president of the Women's Republican Club after she had quite a few things published in the papers out here.  She's also published in law review where she went.

I'm willing to bet my Senators know me better than yours know you. ;)

But, maybe you're right, maybe we won't be helpful. :)

I don't frown on you weighing the pros and cons in a systematic way.  I did the same thing, and both those concerns were in my mind. 

Honestly, the winter hasn't been all that bad.  We've got another month of it, but it doesn't really effect me much.  The roads are cleared really quickly.  I bought a warm, long coat that covers my neck down to my legs so I stay warm.  If you're from CO, you know about snow so you'll be fine.  You're not like Dreepa from California or FTL_Ian from Florida  ;) who seem to have acclimated just fine from their sub-tropic climates.

New Hampshire is indeed not as free as it once was.  The reaction to Bush in 2006 and 2008 (and that's exactly what it was...there was no ideological shift) didn't help the state budget, but we'll see how that pans out.  The fact is, government is advancing everywhere.  That steady advancement lately has increased to a sprint.  Everywhere.  New Hampshire is the most free, has political systems most amenable to grassroots activism, and we've already slowed down the machine.  We can make a stand here.  That's all I needed to know.

Btw, there are lots of good people involved in the Republican Party of NH.  I'm not yet, but will be soon. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 09:10:33 pm by sjhipple »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant

If I believed in providence, I'd say it had spoken. I look forward to seeing you in the spring.

Russell doesn't do politics so you're probably right about the senator thing. A bunch of us went to the state house today to testify against a seat belt law and for marijuana decrim. Could sure use more help.

The residential real estate market is probably close to the bottom so you're not likely to get a much better deal than that. Do you have an mls #?
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage

Sounds like a fantastic property, wish I could afford something like that. ;) NH is probably warmer than CO, actually, though mostly wetter. Doesn't winter start in October in the Rockies? You probably won't notice much of a difference in taxes or personal freedoms between CO and NH, as both are relatively free. However, isn't CO lurching Democratic just as much as NH is? These things go in cycles, though I don't think NH is going back to Republican domination for a long, long time, if ever.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

Sounds like a fantastic property, wish I could afford something like that. ;) NH is probably warmer than CO, actually, though mostly wetter. Doesn't winter start in October in the Rockies? You probably won't notice much of a difference in taxes or personal freedoms between CO and NH, as both are relatively free. However, isn't CO lurching Democratic just as much as NH is? These things go in cycles, though I don't think NH is going back to Republican domination for a long, long time, if ever.

If he lives in CO, there is a good chance he lives somewhat near Denver and that are is warmer than most of NH, certainly the central/ northern area of NH.  The taxes and tolls are also noticeably more in CO so you will notice less services and likely worse roads in NH.  NH may be more liberal than say, WY, but I don't think it is any more liberal than CO.  NH is certainly more free than CO and while I enjoy both states, CO is just too big government for me.  Pretty much everything Seth said is spot on.  There are a lot of good Republican politicians here in NH (but not enough) and I think you and your wife would fit right in.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report

Definitely more gun friendly in NH than they are in Denver.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant

And from what I've heard most of the rest of Colorado, not just Denver.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.

if McCain was to have won in NH ... would that be a good sign?
Did you ask your senator why he voted for the Patriot Act twice and for Real ID?
What should be done with people who refuse to pay taxes or do military service?
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

ny2nh

Obviously we can't decide if you can afford that home for you. It seems like the higher end homes are really the beats deals overall - like you said a $700k home for $300k.

There are FSP members who are quite active in the NH Republican party - and those like myself who have been here longer than the FSP has even existed! If you decide to move, it will be nice to have a couple more "small l libertarian leaning Republicans".

motoracer51

And from what I've heard most of the rest of Colorado, not just Denver.

I'm in Western Colorado, so there are lots of guns out here, especially since anyone can just drive out into the desert and shoot.  You hear gun shooting all day every day.

I'm sure I'd see more open carry in NH versus here, as I've only seen one guy OC'ing in my two years here. :-\

Denver has their wacky AWB, but from some brief reading, you guys seem to have some moonbats propose gun control legislation there as well; only they get shot down convincingly. ;D

motoracer51

If he lives in CO, there is a good chance he lives somewhat near Denver and that are is warmer than most of NH, certainly the central/ northern area of NH.  The taxes and tolls are also noticeably more in CO so you will notice less services and likely worse roads in NH.  NH may be more liberal than say, WY, but I don't think it is any more liberal than CO.  NH is certainly more free than CO and while I enjoy both states, CO is just too big government for me.  Pretty much everything Seth said is spot on.  There are a lot of good Republican politicians here in NH (but not enough) and I think you and your wife would fit right in.

Yeah, like I mentioned in another post, we're in western Colorado, and it's pretty mild here; more so than Denver.  It's also a desert climate; we only get 8-10" of rain per year!! :o

I see the way this state is going, as well as the Federal Government, and IF we are able to stem the growth of .gov, I fell you guys have the best chances in NH with the FSP. ;D

MaineShark

• FSP Participant

The broker got back to us today and said to put it in writing and that an inspection would best be done in spring time.

That's the only thing that would concern me.  Generally, the inspection is done as soon as the offer is accepted, in my experience.  It could mean that there are things they want to hide before an inspector gets to see them.  Of it could just be a convenience thing.  Personally, I would ask to do at least a brief inspection in the immediate future, then have a more-thorough inspection at a later time, if it does seem that it's just a matter of convenience.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up