Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why NH?  (Read 10987 times)

lloydbob1

Re: Why NH?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 07:17:11 am »

Well, with Alaska at about 1 person per square mile, and NH at like 145, I consider that being fairly densely populated.  Granted I'm from the midwest, and apparently you people aren't. 

But hey, I'm not saying it's a bad idea.  A bunch of Libertarians living together would be great.  I'm just not willing to live back east.  I've been there and everything is just too close for comfort.  It's like Boulder, CO, but all over the place.

Oh, and I don't know why you call yourself "Peacemaker" and then fumble around with words whilst attempting to insult.
Exactly what did he say to insult you?

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 08:10:14 am »

Second, being an engineer, I would worry about finding work in the densely populated northeast.
20000 isn't enough .... you better come too
is it really easier for you to find engineering jobs in unpopulated areas?
if so ... maybe alaska is for you ... and you can try and convince 50000 to join you
meanwhile ...back to the biggest libertarian party in the world :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 08:12:11 am »

is the which state area available? ... we could just point them there and let them read it for the next 3 months
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

xAlpha

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free State Project IT Liaison
    • Rifle Fire
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 10:20:55 am »

You might be interested in this bill.  You also might be interested in knowing what our neighbors are up to.

Oh my G-d!

How do I find my reps/senator to email/write a letter to demanding they vote yes on this bill? Does it have a chance?

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 10:49:54 am »

It's archived.  Had a poll to open it up a while ago . . .

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=11586.0
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:52:57 am by Jon Maltz »

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 11:57:01 am »

You might be interested in this bill.  You also might be interested in knowing what our neighbors are up to.

Oh my G-d!

How do I find my reps/senator to email/write a letter to demanding they vote yes on this bill? Does it have a chance?

There is a "Who is my legislator" link on the http://www.nhliberty.org/ main page (right column, towards the bottom).

It goes to:

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/whosmyleg/

There also this post:

http://www.nhliberty.org/forum/index.php?topic=1649.0

it names the committee members who are reviewing this bill.   These are the most important ones to influence while the bill is still in committee.   Particularly if one of your own representatives is on this committee, it might be very effective to contact them.   Or, if not, you might express your support to all of them before the bill goes to public hearing.

They will be hearing the public on Thursday February 5th, at 1PM.   You may also consider showing your support in person.

xAlpha

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
    • Rifle Fire
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 12:23:49 pm »

Yeah, I found all the people I need to write/call.

I'd go to the hearing if I could afford the time off of work.

Does it have any chance of getting out of committee, let alone passed?

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 12:31:35 pm »

Well, with Alaska at about 1 person per square mile, and NH at like 145, I consider that being fairly densely populated.  Granted I'm from the midwest, and apparently you people aren't. 

But hey, I'm not saying it's a bad idea.  A bunch of Libertarians living together would be great.  I'm just not willing to live back east.  I've been there and everything is just too close for comfort.  It's like Boulder, CO, but all over the place.

Oh, and I don't know why you call yourself "Peacemaker" and then fumble around with words whilst attempting to insult.

Edit:  I see below where I misunderstood who was saying what.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:56:27 am by Peacemaker »
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 12:45:00 pm »

Couldn't get online to make my edit last night.  Is there a term for positng while busy working and consequently you end up posting what you didn't truly mean?(! never again!)  Please see revision.

PS:  I didn't choose the name Peacemaker to make peace, I chose it for the Handgun.  I chose it "lite things up."

PSS: And since you want to hurl "fumbling words" at me,  ;) I think there's a boat load of yours you've yet to admit too (eat) on the PF thread.

Lloyd was defending you there, check the quote boxes...
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:21 pm »

You might be interested in this bill.

interesting...

bigd

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 03:03:14 pm »

I guess I am learning the point of the free state project. I originally thought that 20k would do nothing, but I guess they can change a lot. Unfortunately as I said before moving to NH is not all that practical at this point in my life. I wish I could go to UNH, but it is too expensive. Maybe I will move after college, I have always loved the architecture and cities of the east coast. I am so sick of California suburban sprawl, Portsmouth looks like an awesome town.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 04:19:38 pm »

I moved from CA and haven't regretted it one bit.

The power of ONE.... .can be huge in a small community... and then we get together for bigger events.....

xAlpha

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
    • Rifle Fire
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 04:31:05 pm »

I guess I am learning the point of the free state project. I originally thought that 20k would do nothing, but I guess they can change a lot. Unfortunately as I said before moving to NH is not all that practical at this point in my life. I wish I could go to UNH, but it is too expensive. Maybe I will move after college, I have always loved the architecture and cities of the east coast. I am so sick of California suburban sprawl, Portsmouth looks like an awesome town.

Yeah, moving here from CA, it's like a world of difference, but in a totally positive way.

But you also have to be able to do so, and doing it right after college is honestly not a bad time. We waited until my wife was out of school for that reason. Honestly, the way the economy is, you're going to have to leave CA anyway.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 06:37:45 pm »

Yeah, I found all the people I need to write/call.

I'd go to the hearing if I could afford the time off of work.

Does it have any chance of getting out of committee, let alone passed?

Hard to say....but bills usually take a few go-rounds before they pass.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 06:47:49 pm »

If you got into UNH you could defer a year and get residency.... then it would be instate?
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up