Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why NH?  (Read 10980 times)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: Why NH?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 03:53:15 pm »

We have quite a few movers from CA, many of whom are 20 or younger.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

mike888777

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 02:33:02 am »

I personally like to know why P.R was never considered. It's warmer, has the same population as N.H, needs no passport and most importantly has the ability to become it's own nation. You would also never have to spend money on a military since you are next to the U.S and it already more independent from the U.S than any state at the moment. I do see language and poor economy as a problem.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

bigd

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 03:00:00 am »

Puerto Rico would be so awesome. I agree it should have been considered, the only problem is it already has 4 million people. How about Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands. I have heard that Guam is awesome, plus it has less than 200k people. I think the economy would be the main issue, although it is one of the top destinations for Japanese tourists. It has beautiful weather and nightlife, plus great locals.

Dang, we need to get something like this started. Think of how awesome it would be to have an island full of free-staters.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:16:33 am by bigd »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 03:32:10 am »

Dang, we need to get something like this started. Think of how awesome it would be to have an island full of free-staters.

Somehow I'm sure that once the talk ended and the time for action began, no island of free staters would materialize.  You'd hear complaints of distance from family, differences in culture, language, a lack of understanding of liberty in general, etc. 
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 05:02:19 am »

It could happen, but then they would be free country-ers not free staters.
You guys must be on the wrong website. This project was started as an idea to choose one state ... then move there, then create a freer society. We have already been through step one and are starting step 2 and 3. This might not be the project for you.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

jimbo christ

• Panarcho-Libertarian
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 01:59:27 pm »

I have briefly read through the comments on this and a few other discussions, and have some concerns regarding the validity of New Hampshire as your chosen state.  First, why 20000 people?  That seems too few.  20000 people would be spread relatively thin across a state with 147people/mile^2.  Second, being an engineer, I would worry about finding work in the densely populated northeast.  Finally, reading over the other possibilities for state choices, I couldn't help but notice the lack of understanding of the Midwest flyover states (e.g. Kansas, Nebraska, I think South and North Dakota were mentioned but I'm not sure).  These states have untapped potential that no (here) one seems to understand.  While it would be amazing to live in an actual free state, I fail to see why N.H. would be ideal. 

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 03:09:49 pm »

I have briefly read through the comments on this and a few other discussions, and have some concerns regarding the validity of New Hampshire as your chosen state.  First, why 20000 people?  That seems too few.  20000 people would be spread relatively thin across a state with 147people/mile^2.  Second, being an engineer, I would worry about finding work in the densely populated northeast.  Finally, reading over the other possibilities for state choices, I couldn't help but notice the lack of understanding of the Midwest flyover states (e.g. Kansas, Nebraska, I think South and North Dakota were mentioned but I'm not sure).  These states have untapped potential that no (here) one seems to understand.  While it would be amazing to live in an actual free state, I fail to see why N.H. would be ideal. 
There are dozens of dozens of pages about.
However:
NH is not that densly populated
There are jobs in NH
Being able to drive to support each other... can't do that in the SD or ND.
The makeup of the NH government
no general sales tax
no income tax

20K was a guestimate but I am going to say we don't need even that many.
kansas and Nebraska have too many people.

welcome to the site.

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 05:50:00 pm »

Also, the way to make something work is to work out how to make it work.  Deciding that it isn't going to work accomplishes nothing.   ;D
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 06:55:42 pm »

If you have a good 50 hours you can review the "Which State" section of this forum and gain an understanding of why NH was our choice.  We debated 10 small population states, then voted.
The short answer on were the 20,000 figure came from.  It was based on Jason's doctorial work on political migratory groups.  The 10 states we considered all had less than 1.3 million in population.  Bottom line the other states had no water, no trees, no jobs, and no girls! ;D

ps...If you think NH is densely populated, might I suggest you do a little research on our fair state. :)
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 06:56:08 pm »

The makeup of the NH government
no general sales tax
no income tax

+100 points.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 08:37:54 pm »

Libertarians spread out across the US has allready proven to have about Zero effect.  If you were to measure/see/fully understand the Free States' progress, then I think you see 20K is more than enough.  People thought about this years ago, have moved years ago and it's happening now. 

If you were on the ground in NH, I think you would see that 20k is more than enough.

If you think another state is better and can get more numbers, then I would be a fan!  A number of people have chosen the Live Free or Die and are having a great time, "lighting things up!"  Best.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 12:19:34 pm by Peacemaker »
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 08:43:56 pm »

Note that Jason has since recalculated and decided that as few as 7,000 could make a huge impact.  The huge success of the few hundred on the ground already bears that out, I think.  These aren't 20,000 people, these are 20,000 activists.

Also, NH is open and beautiful. 

Lastly, I don't think we would have 1/5 of the movers we have if we had picked ND or SD.  We also would've had an older group of movers, since there isn't much nightlife in those areas.

freedomroad

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:38 pm »

Lastly, I don't think we would have 1/5 of the movers we have if we had picked ND or SD.  We also would've had an older group of movers, since there isn't much nightlife in those areas.

In all fairness, SD does have a great night life in the Rapid City area for a couple weeks in the Summer during the most famous motorcycle rally in America.  Of course, NH does have the 3rd most famous rally and more motorcyclist per capita than any other state.

I think this is a good time to plug Why New Hampshire, http://whynewhampshire.org/

There is also a 101 Reasons to Move to NH but it is currently being revised, I think.

jimbo christ

• Panarcho-Libertarian
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 12:10:03 am »

Well, with Alaska at about 1 person per square mile, and NH at like 145, I consider that being fairly densely populated.  Granted I'm from the midwest, and apparently you people aren't. 

But hey, I'm not saying it's a bad idea.  A bunch of Libertarians living together would be great.  I'm just not willing to live back east.  I've been there and everything is just too close for comfort.  It's like Boulder, CO, but all over the place.

Oh, and I don't know why you call yourself "Peacemaker" and then fumble around with words whilst attempting to insult.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 01:08:48 am »

Well, with Alaska at about 1 person per square mile, and NH at like 145, I consider that being fairly densely populated.  Granted I'm from the midwest, and apparently you people aren't. 

But hey, I'm not saying it's a bad idea.  A bunch of Libertarians living together would be great.  I'm just not willing to live back east.  I've been there and everything is just too close for comfort.  It's like Boulder, CO, but all over the place.

Oh, and I don't know why you call yourself "Peacemaker" and then fumble around with words whilst attempting to insult.

There are parts of NH that are very sparsely populated, and Free Staters are concentrating in some of them.  Grafton is a good example.  While it's true that large Western states have many more miles per person, it seems that most people live in small towns, not out in the wilderness, so living in a small town in NH would be about the same.  I'm not from the West though so I don't know.

If going East is just not an option, consider Free State Wyoming.  They aren't as active or large as the Free State Project, but it's better than nothing.  http://www.freestatewyoming.com/

The founder of Free State Wyoming will be speaking at the New Hampshire Liberty Forum if you want to meet him.  http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum

--edit--

I often get PMs after posting the link to FSW so I'm going to preemptively answer the complaint.  I do a lot of work for this project because I believe in the idea of concentrated activism.  I'm not subservient to the FSP NH only and would support all movements like this (though, as I've said, this forum is not the place to discuss or plan those movements).  I understand that certain Westerners would not be happy in the East and I still want those people to be able to move and concentrate in an area where they can make a real difference.  Plus, I'm confident that our project is much more vibrant and a better sell...unless moving East is not an option.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:15:18 am by sjhipple »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up