Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on University of New Hampshire?  (Read 3537 times)

TacyTraverso

• FSP Participant
Opinions on University of New Hampshire?
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:47:56 pm »

I'm a sophomore transfer student and presently completing applications to 4-year institutions.  I'm interested in NH, of course, due to the FSP.  However, UNH doesn't seem well ranked, but maybe that doesn't matter if the environment is right.

Has anyone gone to UNH or have any other opinions of the school?  I'm an Anthropology major with interest in double majoring in Philosophy; I may then attend Law School.

I'm open to any feedback!  Note that I'm not the typical student; I'm 32 and have a ten year sales career under my belt.
"Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today and you can make your tomorrow." - L. Ron Hubbard

"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - Robert A. Heinlein

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Opinions on University of New Hampshire?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 05:27:20 pm »

I'm a sophomore transfer student and presently completing applications to 4-year institutions.  I'm interested in NH, of course, due to the FSP.  However, UNH doesn't seem well ranked, but maybe that doesn't matter if the environment is right.

Has anyone gone to UNH or have any other opinions of the school?  I'm an Anthropology major with interest in double majoring in Philosophy; I may then attend Law School.

I'm open to any feedback!  Note that I'm not the typical student; I'm 32 and have a ten year sales career under my belt.
I sent a PM to a student and teacher there.

I hope they respond.

TacyTraverso

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 12:50:26 am »

boohoo, no responses.  alas!
"Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today and you can make your tomorrow." - L. Ron Hubbard

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - Robert A. Heinlein

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:06:35 am »

Sorry, I don't know anything about UNH.  If you want to go to law school, studying a hard science, math or engineering would set you up well for practicing intellectual property law, which Franklin Pierce Law Center - New Hampshire's only law school - specializes in.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 03:09:08 pm »

Dartmouth is rumored to be a good school. It's an Ivy League member, and prestigious and, presumably, EXPENSIVE. 
I'll fwd this thread to a friend who attends UNH and ask for her input.
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

castle_chaser

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:13:30 pm »

I went to UNH, as a non-traditional (read.. older) student, and really liked it. I found it to be a very friendly place with some excellent courses....the nice thing about UNH, that you can't tell from the "rankings", is that the school has a great reputation locally...My first and second hires out of college were, in part, due to the fact, that the employers were looking for a UNH business school grad.. :) Of course, I may have "got the job" because I am excessively charming...but they said they were looking for the UNH degree  ;D

I am glad to answer any questions you have and would encourage you to visit the school, if possible!

Kate

Tracer Tong

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:17:21 pm »

Dartmouth is rumored to be a good school. It's an Ivy League member, and prestigious and, presumably, EXPENSIVE. 
I'll fwd this thread to a friend who attends UNH and ask for her input.

I vaguely recall some sort of policy to the effect that Dartmouth gives undergrads pretty much a free ride if they or their parents make less than 75k or so.  If I'm remembering right, then the toughest part would be getting in in the first place, rather than paying for it.

ed: Found what I was thinking of: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2008/01/22.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:31:55 pm by Tracer Tong »
Good.  We begin to operate from a position of strength.
We will start manufacturing the swords and distributing them to our allies.

TacyTraverso

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 03:01:17 pm »

Thank you for the responses all! 

Yes, I am applying to Dartmouth, but they require the SAT and two subject tests.  Well, the website says a student "should" send in two subject tests.  Unfortunately, I have not taken these latter tests and it's not possible for me to do so prior to the deadline.  I'll give it a shot and apply anyway.  I have a 3.3 only because of a stupid D in a Jazz Appreciation class 10 years ago (I was 18 and a stoner).  My more recent performance has been mostly A's with a few B's here and there and one C (Spanish).  Additionally, I hope they'll take into account I had a sales career for 10 years, so I'm not the typical student.  We'll see; hopefully I did well on the recent SAT test; I had trouble with the math, but the English/Writing portion was a breeze! 

And yes, most Ivy League schools follow a policy that if you're lower income, they'll make sure they find a way to help you pay.  Harvard, Stanford, Yale, etc... all have this policy.  They'd rather have a diverse student base then only the rich kids.  I have a few cards to play in that area as I'm a Mayflower descendant and the daughter of a Chilean emigrant; so scholarships will be an option.  Thanks for the link though, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the feedback on UNH itself!  Good to hear that locally it has prestige.  I supposed it doesn't matter anyway, if I plan to attend Grad or Prof. School; more weight is placed on where one earned an advanced degree than undergrad. 

UG, picking a school is SO HARD!!!  I would so love to join the FSP!!!  Thanks for the feedback folks and I welcome anymore!  :)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 03:14:04 pm »

You should submit an addendum with your application explaining your D in the best light possible, if that's truly the one dark spot on your transcript.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 07:48:13 pm »

I would so love to join the FSP!!!  Thanks for the feedback folks and I welcome anymore!  :)

Have you signed up as a friend?
You can still help even if you don't join.  Spread the word online....spread the word in person....join or start a local group.

TacyTraverso

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 09:15:58 pm »

Good idea about the addendum; I think I did explain the D in an area on my application, so I should be covered.

I am going to talk about FSP on Thursday at a local "Liberty on the Rocks" event; see if I can find out more about local happenings with the project.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 09:50:35 pm »

Good idea about the addendum; I think I did explain the D in an area on my application, so I should be covered.

I am going to talk about FSP on Thursday at a local "Liberty on the Rocks" event; see if I can find out more about local happenings with the project.

If you're going to a liberty event, consider printing out flyers: http://freestateproject.org/downloads

If you want to meet up with local FSPers, take a look at the local groups page: http://freestateproject.org/community/localgroups

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 10:33:11 am »

invite them all to the Liberty Forum this coming march
www.freestateproject.org/libertyforum
Pages: [1]   Go Up