Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: artists in NH  (Read 1546 times)

mr_ddixon

artists in NH
« on: January 18, 2009, 05:30:32 pm »

id like to move to NH as part of the FSP, but i need to about the freedom art scene there- where are FSP artists located at, are there any freedom orientated galleries, if anyone would like to start one... i have some plans which might prove interesting, but i would need some collaborators.
Please respond- i currently live in a good market for fine art, so i need an incentive to relocate to NH...

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
Re: artists in NH
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:40:14 pm »

Where do you live now?  What does "a good market for fine art" mean? 
We are close to Boston, which is a very large, very wealthy community (at least parts). 
If you can scale your biz to mail-order, you can do great.  If retail is a big part of your biz, you can do great because THERE IS NO INCOME TAX IN NEW HAMPSHIRE.  A seven or eight percent difference in price compared to the neighboring state is a nice competitive advantage.
If you have a business plan, I'd be happy to look at it.  I know some investors around here.
Today's economy is definitely NOT a good time to be selling luxury and discretionary-income items, but I'd like to see what your niche is.

We have a FSPer who knows the theater community here, but I don't know about the other.  We can ask around, though, if you'd like.  PM me with details. 
Mark
Porcupine Realtor
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

mr_ddixon

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:00:40 pm »

i live in westchester county, NY. A good market for fine art means not only galleries do display work, but also a consumer base willing to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for competent artwork. Consignment stores, art fairs, craft type stores are also desirable, but its galleries where ive been making real money and building my rep.

As far as a business plan goes id feel more secure getting a feel for the area before i even start thinking about making a major investment.

Unfortunatley, you're right about selling luxury items and the economy, so my approach is three-pronged: 1) low-priced, hip, explicit art items like tshirts, posters, and small hand-crafted pieces designed to appeal to young freedom lovers, and  2) mid to high priced abstract fine art inspired by free market economics (very un-explicit), and 3) more consumer based pieces designed to have a "new england" appeal- landscapes and the like.

if you can put me touch with FSP member involved with theater, id love to pick his/her brain, and of course any other FSP art-types.

ive noticed you're a realtor. my plan is to come up to NH in about 3 to 4 months, stay until around september, at which point i move out west for a project, and then hopefully return to NH in 2010, depending how i feel NH. im interested in finding a cheap place while checking out the area, hopefully around other freedom orientated artists. ive browsed the porc manor listings and found them helpful, and if you can point me in the direction of other possibilities id appreciate it.

appreciate your help, mark
-dave

ps- hope this isnt a stupid question but... what does "PM" mean?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:21:37 pm by mr_ddixon »

Moebius Tripp

• Kinda loopy & one-sided.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 06:55:32 am »

Ignorance of internet acronyms isn't stupidity.  PM = private message.  Click on the poster's name, and many options come up, including sending a private message.
Statism is the opiate of the masses

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:01:12 am »

iive noticed you're a realtor. my plan is to come up to NH in about 3 to 4 months,

consider coming to the Liberty Forum in March (www.freestateproject.org/libertyforum)  you would be able to meet lots and lots and lots of NH natives and movers alike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up