Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you Understand/learn about the FSP, AFTER, you moved here?  (Read 9807 times)

MK

• AKA Markus

I couldn't wait to meet these people of the FSP and understand just who they are, what this group is like and I thought it would be interesting to hear from those who have allready moved, to share any insight that would help prospective participants understand this thing called The Free State Project.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:31:16 pm by Peacemaker »
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

MK

• AKA Markus
Re: What did you Understand/learn about the FSP, AFTER, you moved here?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 07:10:04 pm »

What I did not imagine (and maybe it would be obvious for others), is just how much everyone in the FSP, "marches" to the beat of their own drum.  That there is not a group of leaders/bosses telling people what they should and should not do.  I think it really is the definition of independence.

Rather, it's alot of people doing their own things, in all directions and thus it's VERY easy to get involved.  Also, I didn't realize how much fun it is "to do" activism because you get to know alot of people who AGREE with you.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:31:58 pm by Peacemaker »
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:01:05 pm »

I thought I would be the boring conservative guy compared to all of these libertarian radicals in the FSP before I got to NH.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 08:46:34 am »

I thought that most Porcupines would be folk who march to the beat of their own drum and most (not all) would be friendly. I was right.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:26:36 am »

I never expected the guilty feelings. Pretty much the only downside of moving here.

To be more specific, there's so much action here that you can't possibly do everything. That's so unlike where I came from, where there were maybe a dozen libertarian things to do in a year. Here there's often a dozen things in a week.
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:30:10 am »

That there are a LOT more anarchist / voluntaryist types than I thought, including many who I never would have suspected.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:52:00 am »

That there are a LOT more anarchist / voluntaryist types than I thought, including many who I never would have suspected.
many are closet anarchists ... they don't want the bad guys to know
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:08:33 am »

many are closet anarchists ... they don't want the bad guys to know
Just because my closet is messy, it doesn't mean it's in anarchy!  ;D

To me, moving brought me in contact with folks that "made the move" years ago, to a state that already was the most liberty-friendly. A big part of our activism is re-energizing them, and reaching out to others that might respond to the message of freedom.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

HelmholtzWatson

• Next 1000
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:18:15 am »

Priceless! That made me laugh so hard!  ;D

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 01:13:56 pm »

I never thought that one of the Porcs I met would have his very own, ultra-deluxe, vegetable steamer built into his kitchen counter.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 01:22:17 pm »

What's in your closet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSl-PpavdwA

lloydbob1

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 06:29:40 pm »

Hetro stuff like chains and whips

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 01:43:29 pm »

That there are some people in NH, who aren't "officially" in NH, but in reality, actually are in NH (unofficially that is).

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 02:58:44 pm »

man peacemaker ... did maxxx hand the baton off to you when he went on a ship? You are the biggest poster nowadays.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 07:43:46 am »

I had absolutely no idea as to the level of activism going on here before I moved. (I actually arrived right when Taproom Tuesday went from being a half-dozen people at one table to being 30–40 people taking over the place.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up