Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Education in NH  (Read 1550 times)

Dosazu

Education in NH
« on: January 08, 2009, 05:52:34 pm »

Allow me to introduce myself. I currently live in New Jersey, I am 16 years old and I have a New Jersey High school diploma. (The only good thing about New Jersey is the fact that it has the laxest home schooling laws in the country and taking their state test/GED gets you a High School diploma, unlike most states that reward you with a certificate or the like.) I am already aware that the FSP will not allow me to count towards their goal but I suppose we all can't get everything. Anyhow, regardless of whether I am officially recognized or not I am still interested in going to college/further my education in New Hampshire and seeing as some people here already live there and would know about the area/have more life experience, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask some questions and get some advice.

A little about myself for a slight mental picture:

* I'm very into technology and have hopes/determination to eventually end up at a technology oriented career down the road.

* I agree strongly with the ideals FSP set out to accomplish by acting as the transport to NH which accounts for my aspiration to further my education under such an atmosphere.

* I'm very independent.

Does anyone have any advice when selecting a college for a tech path? I have compiled research for myself and I believe I would be happy at a place like the University of New Hampshire.

Is there any possible way to even get a driver's license in my position if I were to move into a dorm at college? I'm under 18 and I know no one over 25 in New Hampshire and such and such required to complete the long list on the way to a license, it seems like it would be nigh-impossible.

Any general advice towards these ideas/life movements? I would appreciate the help.

Tracer Tong

• FSP Participant
Re: Education in NH
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:55:15 pm »

I can say a bit about technological programs.  Two universities in NH do engineering: Dartmouth and UNH.  UNH appears to have plenty of programs within engineering (electrical, mechanical and the like).  Dartmouth's undergrad engineering is kinda unorthodox; their undergrad degrees are simply in engineering (one's an AB I think, the other is a BE) rather than focusing on mech or EE, etc.

If I were to do undergrad engineering in NH, I'd probably pick UNH (mainly because a BSEE is more recognizable than a BE).  For MS and PhD programs, though, it looks to me like Dartmouth engineering is a good bit stronger than UNH.  (Just my semi-educated opinion!)

For non-engineering tech stuff like comp sci, I'd bet there's at least one more university in NH.  I can't say off the top of my head though.

(You might guess I'm an engineer -- any more specific questions, I'll do my best to help)
Good.  We begin to operate from a position of strength.
We will start manufacturing the swords and distributing them to our allies.

Porcupine Realtor

• FSP Participant
  • Arrived in NH on 9/03/07!
    • Mark Warden - Porcupine Real Estate
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 10:06:50 pm »

Food for thought for Dosazu (if that's your real name), who wrote:

* I'm very into technology and have hopes/determination to eventually end up at a technology oriented career down the road.  [50%+ OF FREE STATERS ARE TECHNO-GENIUSES -- YOU'RE IN GOOD COMPANY] (author not included)

* I agree strongly with the ideals FSP set out to accomplish by acting as the transport to NH which accounts for my aspiration to further my education under such an atmosphere.  [YOU WILL BE AMAZED BY THE LIKE-MINDEDNESS OF THE FOLKS HERE AND THEIR LIBERTARIAN SPIRIT]

* I'm very independent. [THAT'S A BIT AMBIGUOUS IN THIS GROUP; WE ALL THINK WE'RE INDEPENDENT, EVEN US "MAINSTREAM PARTY HACKS"  :-) ]

You'll find that many on this board are skeptical about government schools at any level, including college.  Even though I'm a "college boy" myself from an exclusive private university, I'm the first to say that if you develop a marketable, transferable, in-demand skill, you'll be better off developing that than taking on $100,000 in debt to attend college.

There is a handful of Free Staters who have moved here by their own volition who are 18 years old or younger.  If you'd like to chat with them, let us know.  There's even a 15 year old who "gets it" about the FSP and libertarianism who is thriving here.  These testimonials may convince you and your parents that moving to NH will be your REAL EDUCATION.
www.PorcupineRealEstate.com
Mover #491
Allison James Estates & Homes
163 Amherst St Nashua NH 03064

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:23:37 am »

Welcome!  I'm a home school grad who finished up high school at 16 as well.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.
Pages: [1]   Go Up