Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Property Tax  (Read 4363 times)

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
Re: Property Tax
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 07:19:11 pm »

In my opinion, taxes on land are the least bad taxes. That is, if you absolutely MUST have taxes, I'd rather they be land/property taxes than income or sales taxes.

Income and sales taxes are avoidable. That is, people can try to avoid them, causing the collectors to try harder to enforce the payment of said taxes; eventually building into a police state. No one can hide land, so a tax on the land can't be avoided. It is also simple to administer, compared to a sales or income tax; and far less intrusive.

I'm opposed to any property tax of any kind!!  Property taxes (land and income) are the reason we want to leave the U.S.  Sales taxes are better because govt revenue is proportional to the economy.  I would love to see a volunteer based tax system as it is the only one that does not allow one group to confiscate the property of another.  "GIVE onto Caeser, what is Caeser's"

Sales taxes are just as bad as the rest. An argument can be made that they’re quasi-voluntary, because you can lower or eliminate your tax burden by buying little to nothing (I used to make this argument), but a sales tax is still the governmental equivalent of an extortion racket. Why should someone who had no part in the production or sale of an item get a piece of the action?

All taxes are evil, because they’re by definition involuntary. A voluntary tax would be ideal, but then it wouldn’t be a tax: It’d be a simple user fee.

And Caesar deserves nothing because his entire system is based on force.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 07:27:19 pm »

If there are enough FSP'ers in Keene, will the property taxes be eliminated?

Sure. Of course "enough" might mean 10% of the population or it might mean 90% of the population. Nobody knows, and no one will know until it happens.

It’ll take a State-wide effort, since not all property taxes go to the town. The county wants their money for their jails, and the State for their indoctrination centers.

Income and sales taxes are avoidable. That is, people can try to avoid them, causing the collectors to try harder to enforce the payment of said taxes; eventually building into a police state. No one can hide land, so a tax on the land can't be avoided. It is also simple to administer, compared to a sales or income tax; and far less intrusive.

So long as there’s a system trying to extort money out of people, people will find ways around it. With a property tax, I can imagine people illegitimately taking advance of reductions or exemptions like the “current use” provisions or similar.

And what of people who own land in order to be self-sufficient, outside of the money system? Are they forced to go out to earn money just to pay taxes, or would the State just take a tenth of their crops like the feudal lords did? ;)

Moving_on_up

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 07:38:10 pm »

All taxes are evil, because they’re by definition involuntary. A voluntary tax would be ideal, but then it wouldn’t be a tax: It’d be a simple user fee.

A user fee is a good way for the govt to get money.  Churches use a voluntary fee and do pretty good.  We shouldn't tax anyone - sales or property taxes should be outlawed!  I do think that someone should volunteer money to the government for legitimate government functions.  Of course, those functions would be very very very  limited in a free society. 

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 08:04:31 pm »

A user fee is a good way for the govt to get money.  Churches use a voluntary fee and do pretty good.  We shouldn't tax anyone - sales or property taxes should be outlawed!  I do think that someone should volunteer money to the government for legitimate government functions.  Of course, those functions would be very very very  limited in a free society. 

Indeed, the way I see it, two things are necessary to have a free society: (1) The “government” (technically, “the State,” but I’m not going to get into semantics) collects money voluntarily, and (2) it allows competition for whatever services it provides. At that point, it’s no longer even the “government” anymore, but just another private entity competing on the free market to provide services to people.

Moving_on_up

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 09:48:34 pm »

To pay a user fee to a private entity that is government.  Sounds good. 

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 11:42:06 am »

I am willing to opt out of paying 60% of property taxes here in Keene if four other property owners will join me.  So far, none have.   :(
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up