Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Make up of FSP  (Read 17572 times)

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re: The Make up of FSP
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2009, 02:19:36 am »

The First Commandment is to have only one God, the Creator, which means the ideal model or standard for ourselves.

That was specific for the Jews only. Also, interesting to note "elohim" is plural. So maybe what the god of the Jews was saying when he said "Have no other gods before me" he didn't mean "have no other gods at all" but I am your highest god.

"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2009, 08:07:15 am »

The First Commandment is to have only one God, the Creator, which means the ideal model or standard for ourselves.
That was specific for the Jews only. Also, interesting to note "elohim" is plural. So maybe what the god of the Jews was saying when he said "Have no other gods before me" he didn't mean "have no other gods at all" but I am your highest god.

It's quite interesting to actually read Genesis, since it quite frequently refers to other gods existing, and Yahweh being in competition with them, rather than being the only god.

It also doesn't say that Adam and Eve are the first humans, despite that popular belief.  It pretty clearly states that there are other humans on the planet, and Adam and Eve are just some particular experiment that Yahweh creates.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2009, 03:35:29 pm »

It's quite interesting to actually read Genesis, since it quite frequently refers to other gods existing, and Yahweh being in competition with them, rather than being the only god.

It also doesn't say that Adam and Eve are the first humans, despite that popular belief.  It pretty clearly states that there are other humans on the planet, and Adam and Eve are just some particular experiment that Yahweh creates.

Joe

Interesting interpretation.  Cite please?
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2009, 04:17:15 pm »

I don't have the first handy at this moment, but the second can be easily seen starting at Genesis 4:16 - after Cain kills Abel, he goes out into pre-existing localities, marries, and founds a city.  Before Adam and Eve have any additional children (which doesn't happen until Genesis 4:25).  Clearly, other humans exist, parallel to Adam and Eve, or there would be no one for Cain to marry.

Joe
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:03:31 pm by sj »
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2009, 04:20:36 pm »

Joe

There are a number of verses that imply various things: Gen 1:26, Gen 3:22, Gen 4:14. Some believe that when Genesis was finally codified, there were a number of different versions of the "creation" story circulating. Some used "Elohim" and others used "Yahweh"--which is why the book is inconsistent. When the story was finally written, there stories were edited together. (And, actually, while just flipping through that, I noticed for the first time that Gen 1:24-26 and Gen 2:18 are in direct contradiction... huh.) I don't know all the details, but there's substantial scholarship (and neverending debate) on the subject.

So far as god being in conflict with other gods, never heard that one.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:03:50 pm by sj »

Luck

• FSP Participant
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2009, 02:30:12 pm »

* Elohim may be plural because it may refer to Angels of God, rather than God Himherself.
* In the Old Testament it often says God did things, when it really meant Angels of God did them.
* In the case of Abraham, there are a number of passages that describe him as being in the presence of men, angels, and the Lord, where all of the terms are interchanged, so that it's describing the same beings, first as men, then as angels, then as the Lord, for example.
* The same applies elsewhere. Moses is described in the Old Testament as being in the presence of the Lord at the burning bush, but in the New Testament, I think in Acts, the word angel is substituted for the Lord.
* We commonly speak in similar ways about leaders. We say leaders do various things, when we mean leaders have these things done by their followers. Like Bush invaded Iraq and killed Hussein.
* The word, Jehovah, seems to refer to a chief Angel of God at times, because heshe is described as having power in the mountains, but not in the valleys.
* Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel and others, may have been apparitions in the sky in ancient times, and they may have had mortal counterparts who were named after the apparitions. I say that because ancient myths throughout the world have very similar underlying themes, which suggests that certain phenomena were visible in the sky in those times that are no longer present.
* Here are a couple of links on that: http://thunderbolts.info/online_videos.htm and http://kronia.com/thoth.html and http://thunderbolts.info/home.htm.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:13:12 pm by Luck »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

anything