Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: The Make up of FSP  (Read 17585 times)

WendellBerry

Re: The Make up of FSP
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 08:26:20 pm »

Science and God seem to often be at odds. 

I think you mean reason and faith seem to be at odds.

Moving_on_up

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:40 pm »

I meant that I don't accept some nitwit scientist ( ;D , don't take me wrong, i like scientists) telling me there can be no God because of this or that.....etc.  Furthermore, the scientific method they taught me in government high school makes no sense.   Some scientific discoveries can show the face of God and reveal Him ( read the books by Gerald L. Schroeder or David Berlinski's Devil's Delusion).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:36:48 am by Moving_on_up »

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 10:05:37 pm »

I love traditions and believe in them -  marriage can only be between a man and a woman.  I don't like diversity in a nation - I want a single official language, and a single religion.

I feel like all of these fall outside freedom.  More like dictation...

I mean, I love tradition too, but I don't want to force my shit on other people....
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:12:11 am by sonio »
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. โ€“ Charles A. Beard

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2009, 11:17:33 pm »

2ยข...

Because that would suck if he did discount it.  Why can't there be a God?  You can't prove it, but you can't disprove it either. 

Scientists don't "prove" to conclusion. They hypothesize, test, reflect, and reject or accept... until the hypothesis is shown to be wrong. Scientists cannot disprove God (nor is it their job to do so), the same way that "God-believers" cannot disprove the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

They're both aspects of belief. Goods scientists tend to believe in reason because its results are based on empirical observations, subject to falsifiablity. People "of faith" believe in faith for many different reasons; they cannot all be listed here. To know why someone believes one over the other, and whether they are at odds, it's usually best to ask :)

WendellBerry

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2009, 08:31:41 am »

Goods scientists tend to believe in reason because its results are based on empirical observations, subject to falsifiablity. People "of faith" believe in faith for many different reasons

None of which can be "subject to falsifiability"

Moving_on_up

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 11:32:32 am »

I mean, I love tradition too, but I don't want to force my shit on other people....

I never said I would force it on other people.         

Brettp76

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 06:56:49 pm »

Perfectly stated. The God, regardless of the particular fantasy of choice, is always at odds with the individual pursuing his own happiness on his own terms via his own mind and values.
"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 10:57:22 am »

marriage can only be between a man and a woman.  I don't like diversity in a nation - I want a single official language, and a single religion.

Marriage can only be between a man and a woman.  Seems to me like some people might find this oppressive.

Single religion?  Sounds like this might also be a problem for people who don't follow that, or any religion.
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. โ€“ Charles A. Beard

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2009, 01:41:18 am »

I think he might be building a small nation ... since it has no diversity ... it might have a population of 1
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Moving_on_up

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2009, 08:06:48 pm »

Perfectly stated. The God, regardless of the particular fantasy of choice, is always at odds with the individual pursuing his own happiness on his own terms via his own mind and values.

I believe it to be true also.  God does not care a lick about our happiness.  Our salvation matters, however.

Marriage can only be between a man and a woman.  Seems to me like some people might find this oppressive.

Single religion?  Sounds like this might also be a problem for people who don't follow that, or any religion.

I don't find marriage between a man and a woman at all oppressive.   I think it is wonderful - as it was meant to be.  I think toleration of other people and religions is a must in a free country.

I think he might be building a small nation ... since it has no diversity ... it might have a population of 1

You must be building a nation of many none of whom can understand the other's spoken languages. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:41:59 pm by Moving_on_up »

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2009, 08:32:19 pm »

I believe it to be true also.  God does not care a lick about our happiness.  Our salvation matters, however.

What is salvation and why does it "matter"?

WendellBerry

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 08:37:09 pm »

Marriage can only be between a man and a woman.

Marriage is a "religious" institution.

"civil unions" are part of our civic institutions.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2009, 08:51:01 pm »

You must be building a nation of many who can't understand each other's spoken words. 
I am not planning on building any nations.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Moving_on_up

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2009, 09:56:07 pm »

You must be building a nation of many who can't understand each other's spoken words. 
I am not planning on building any nations.

True, that I am trying to build a nation that will never again relinquish freedom (God willing)   
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 10:18:59 pm by Moving_on_up »

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2009, 10:38:33 pm »

Defining marriage as between a man and a woman only (as a government institution) is oppressive to same-sex as well as polyamorous couples.
If your religion determines it as such, that is fine so long as it has nothing to do with governmental regulations.  Assuming people can choose a/no religion as they see fit.

That having been said, the government has no business in the romantic commitments of its citizens; "civil union" "marriage" or otherwise.  So any attempt for the government to regulate it at all is unethical.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up