Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: the Free State Party  (Read 35959 times)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
the Free State Party
« on: January 04, 2009, 02:17:12 pm »

We are forming the Free State Party in NH as a home for political radicals.

If you have ever wanted to push the big red Rothbardian button, then maybe you will want to join us.

We will be holding our first planning meeting later in January in beautiful Grafton, NH (home of the political revolution).

Contact me if you would like to join us or with party platform ideas.

If the Libertarian Party keeps letting you down, the major parties keep shutting you out or marginalizing your goals, then come join us.

http://TheFreeStateParty.com
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:30:05 am by Russell Kanning »
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

lastlady

• FSP Participant
Re: the Free State Party
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 03:06:48 pm »

Sounds great.  :D

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 03:13:14 pm »

If you have ever wanted to push the big red Rothbardian button, then maybe you will want to join us.

We will be holding our first planning meeting later in January in beautiful Grafton, NH (home of the political revolution).

If the Libertarian Party keeps letting you down, the major parties keep shutting you out or marginalizing your goals, then come join us.

No kidding!  Now are you guys affiliated in any way shape or form with the Free State Project?

Also, I"ve got some party platform ideas as well....for staters I was thinkiing put the Keg of Beer on the left side and then have snacks in the middle of the platform and finally burgers and dogs on the right side of the party platform......(oh hell...were you talking about political platform ideas?)

The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:33:53 pm »

Now are you guys affiliated in any way shape or form with the Free State Project?

No.

From the FAQ's:

Q: Is the FSP a political organization?

A: No, the Free State Project is a nonprofit corporation, organized for mutual benefit and performing "social welfare" functions. We do not endorse candidates or legislation. The goals of the Free State Project as an organization can be accomplished without the election of any candidates or the passage of any legislation
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:53:35 pm »

lots of guys have proposed it .... worried about its creation ... wondered if it already existed

... so ... why not do it? :)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 03:57:58 pm »

No kidding!  Now are you guys affiliated in any way shape or form with the Free State Project?
Yes .... and No

one thing we have going for us .... unlike the other FSP ... we actually "do" stuph and don't have to disavow many activities. :)

any of our members would also be official spokesmen for the Party

maybe we can refer to them as "party members" ala a communist country

but seriously ... I thought it would be good to give those stuck in old paradimes something they could understand better. Most of our activity is in nongroups and unofficial organizations. We also spend time not being mixed up with others .... well why not just have a radical party ... and have people categorize us as such?

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 03:59:38 pm »

lots of guys have proposed it .... worried about its creation ... wondered if it already existed

... so ... why not do it? :)

Interesting....now, do you think it would be better to have a name that is not so similar to the FSP (even the same 3 letters here I just realized) so there would be no confusion.....are do you like it that it plays off the Free State Project's name?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 04:01:26 pm by Peacemaker »
The Gun you have Pointed at me is Awfully Distracting.  Please put it down and then I'll listen.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 04:01:11 pm »

Free State Project members can be members of the Free State Party

the Free State Party also endorses the Free Town Project.

MK

• AKA Markus
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 04:08:26 pm »

As the long term goal of the Free State Project is for the name to eventually go away, I don't see how anyone can be against any new "group" that wants to welcome and have a place for liberty lovers to  be "harbored."  Using the word Party makes me think that you would be looking at running candiates, etc. to promote "the party."

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 04:35:30 pm »

As the long term goal of the Free State Project is for the name to eventually go away, I don't see how anyone can be against any new "group" that wants to welcome and have a place for liberty lovers to  be "harbored."  Using the word Party makes me think that you would be looking at running candiates, etc. to promote "the party."
definitely a "political party" in the sense of trying to effect the political process and have candidates win and change policy. Just not in the sense of being co-opted and marginalized ... at least too much. Why not run on an extreme platform and bring up those issues. We could have someone run for governor that proposes shutting down part of the state government the first year and secession. :)

HelmholtzWatson

• Next 1000
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 07:13:08 pm »

Why not run on an extreme platform and bring up those issues. We could have someone run for governor that proposes shutting down part of the state government the first year and secession. :)

In that case, maybe the name should be something more distinct from Free State Project (as Peacemaker suggested).

People will likely assume that the ultimate goal of the Free State Project is in line with the platform of the Free State Party. (And can you blame them?!) Furthermore, if the radical message of the "Free State Party" is unpopular among 90% of NH residents, then the "Free State Project" probably will be as well.

Right now, I get the impression that NH residents have very mixed feelings about the FSP, with a very good percentage supporting the project at least to some extent. We don't want to squander that support.

People will equate the Free State Project with the the Free State Party, and I don't think that I'm comfortable with that. The beauty of the Free State Project is that it encompasses such a broad group of views as long as they are pro-liberty. When I move to NH, I will definitely join the NHLA, and I will probably vote libertarian and/or according to NHLA liberty ratings. I would prefer for the FSP movement to remain unattached to any particular political party. (Even unofficially! The "Free State Party" will cause widespread misconception. It would even create ambiguity as to what a "Free Stater" is.)

Maybe you could go with the Secession Party or the Radical Liberty Party or the Minarchist Party or the New Hampshire Liberty Party or the New Hampshire Independence Movement Party, etc.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 09:39:50 pm »

Why not run on an extreme platform and bring up those issues. We could have someone run for governor that proposes shutting down part of the state government the first year and secession. :)
In that case, maybe the name should be something more distinct from Free State Project
I don't see how that is incompatible with the goals or spirit of the Free State Project.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 09:43:13 pm »

Maybe you could go with the Secession Party or the Radical Liberty Party or the Minarchist Party or the New Hampshire Liberty Party or the New Hampshire Independence Movement Party, etc.
Larry
the volunteers have spoken ... and they want a Free State Party

I also like shorter names. We could also call ourselves the Most Radical Libertarian Strike-the-Root Party, but I don't like long acronyms.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 09:50:07 pm »

People will equate the Free State Project with the the Free State Party, and I don't think that I'm comfortable with that.
Well .... there will be Free Staters in the Free State Party .... so they will already be tied together.
Rotten politicians already think of the NHLA as some sort of front for the Free State Project. If we have other groups that are even more radical ... then it will help sort things out. We could even take some heat off of the NHLA and other less extreme groups. We enjoy the excitement and notoriety.
You can be one of our official spokespeople to explain that we are not part of the Free State Project.

HelmholtzWatson

• Next 1000
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:02:48 pm »

You can be one of our official spokespeople to explain that we are not part of the Free State Project.

haha. will do.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 8   Go Up