Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Spreading FSP flyers at colleges  (Read 14561 times)

freedomroad

Spreading FSP flyers at colleges
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:21:07 pm »

Around Thanksgiving a bunch of colleges were flyered spreading FSP flyers.  Flyers on bulletin boards, spread around empty tables in lounges, and put towards the front of free magazines.  About 500 FSP flyers were distributed.  This is an easy form of activism.  You don't have to talk to anyone or do anything special.  It is something anyone can do at a local college or perhaps while they travel during the holiday season.  

List of colleges flyered
Wake Forest University
Vanderbilt University
Jackson State CC
University of Memphis
Southwest TN CC

Edit to show flyers: http://freestateproject.org/getinvolved/downloads  I recommend especially the "College flyers/stickers."  If it is near tax day, maybe post that flyer around a campus.  If a marijuana reform bill/vote recently failed in your area, maybe use the drug flyer.  It is OK to change things up.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:32:04 pm by LoveAndPeace »

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
Re: Spreading FSP flyers at colleges
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:26:46 pm »

Rock on!

What flyer did you post?

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:33:41 pm »

I'll try to do this over Christmas break.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

lloydbob1

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 10:20:13 pm »

I did this a couple of times a year at colleges around Hartford, CT, up to a year or so ago.  I don't know if we got any joiners out of it.

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:53:09 am »

I'll try to do this over Christmas break.

Colleges are not in session (usually) during the Christmas break.  However, if you are talking about traveling and putting flyers in free magazines at rest areas over the Christmas holiday. that is a fantastic idea.  Many people stop at rest areas anyway, why not spend 5 min putting flyers in free newspapers and magazines while you are there.

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 10:55:04 am »

I did this a couple of times a year at colleges around Hartford, CT, up to a year or so ago.  I don't know if we got any joiners out of it.

Good point.  These are insanely hard to track.  Often times people have to hear about the FSP several times before they join, anyway.  However, I do know that I got at least 1 Friend of the FSP a while back by doing this because they listed a college a regularly flyered where I used to live.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:16:08 pm by Freedomroad »

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 11:00:51 am »

What flyer did you post?

I used a couple flyers.  I used the 1/2 sheet FTL flyers which Denis designed,
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2153/ftlflyertooltranskl7.gif

but mostly a 1/2 sheet FSP flyer which I designed to handout at Warped Tour and I still have 100s of left.  I don't currently have a pdf of it to show you as it is not stored on the computer I currently use.

However, I have done this several times in the pass and I often post a variety of the FSP college flyers to bulletin boards at colleges, http://freestateproject.org/getinvolved/collegeflyers.php while placing more informational flyers on empty tables and such.

noprivacy

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 12:43:41 pm »

My plan is to go to a local library. Search for relevant books and put those fliers inside them. I can put them inside books of Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman, Austrian economics, libertarianism, New Hampshire tourism, Thomas Jefferson, Ron Paul, US Constitution, gun right, gay right, Cato Institute, etc. I'll be careful to place those books back to their proper order.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 12:45:31 pm by noprivacy »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 01:00:12 am »

My plan is to go to a local library. Search for relevant books and put those fliers inside them. I can put them inside books of Ayn Rand, Milton Friedman, Austrian economics, libertarianism, New Hampshire tourism, Thomas Jefferson, Ron Paul, US Constitution, gun right, gay right, Cato Institute, etc. I'll be careful to place those books back to their proper order.

Some people have done this with FSP bookmarks, which you can get in the FSP store.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

lloydbob1

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 07:35:12 am »

Many of us did this in the early days.  The discussion then was whether or not to put stuff in books at 'private' bookstores ;D

freedomroad

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 08:21:37 pm »

Even though this thread is old and hasn't been updated recently, this activity still happens.

For example, this happened at least at the University of New York at Albany, the University of Vermont at Burlington, Central Maine Community College, Bates College in ME, and Jackson State Community College in TN in 2010.

It is still a great idea and I've still never heard of anyone getting in trouble over doing it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:10:52 am by LoveAndPeace »

freedomroad

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 08:31:40 pm »

Another option is to chalk the sidewalk near busy building at large universities.  Feel free to use discretion and stop if asked.

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 04:05:16 am »

FSP flyers were recently spread around two community colleges in OH (one near Cleveland and the other near Columbus) and a community college in upstate NY.  They were also inserted into the first few copies of the campus free newspapers in several of the newsstands.  Additionally, 30-90 flyers were inserted into pro-liberty books at the community college libraries.  The pro-liberty books with the highest connection to the FSP, for example, the books by John Stossel, got a special treat.  They were enhanced with a FSP bookmark.  Of course, no one objected to this in any way.

Feel free to do the same thing where you live or at a community college you happen to pass by.

BTW, this is easy to do.  Just bring a stapler and clear tape.  If some of the other flyers on the bulletin board are attached to the board with staples, use your stapler.  If not, look for an available tack on the board or use the clear tape.  You can also set flyers on table.

Another option is to locate stacks of the free newspapers available on campus.  Enhance the first few newspapers of each stack with a free fsp flyer.

Be creative but be respectful :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:15:22 am by LoveAndPeace »

Trenks

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 07:56:30 am »

The chalking is awesome. Colleges are great for recruiting. Maybe try to get in on a students for liberty or ron Paul meetup. I think ill try this in the fall. Nice little side activism work in between the entrepreneuring

freedomroad

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 04:26:38 pm »

I did this a couple of times a year at colleges around Hartford, CT, up to a year or so ago.  I don't know if we got any joiners out of it.

Good point.  These are insanely hard to track.  Often times people have to hear about the FSP several times before they join, anyway.  However, I do know that I got at least 1 Friend of the FSP a while back by doing this because they listed a college a regularly flyered where I used to live.

Looking back through sign-ups, I can also confirm at least one signer because of this at a college from a flyer I used.

So at the very least, we have one confirmed signer and one confirmed friend from this method.

Positives:
Proven to work
Gets the word out there
Can be done by just one person
Doesn't require social interaction
Can be done with almost no planning (just happen to be walking/driving by a campus)
Can be done in bad weather
Virtually no risk of punishment
Targets one of the more mobile demographics

Negatives:
Few confirmed recruits via method
Requires the use of a printer
Depending on college, may need to use tape, staples or tacks, which is an added expensive
Depending on campus policy, certain flyers posted in certain places may be against the rules so they may be quickly thrown away
The flyers must be replaced periodically
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:44:26 pm by LoveAndPeace »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up