Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What can i do?  (Read 9453 times)

Frost

What can i do?
« on: December 07, 2008, 06:49:55 am »

I am trying to understand what i could do to help further the goals of the Free State Project if i were to move to New Hampshire. At the risk of parroting a snarky internet meme, my current understanding of the process is as follows:

1. Get 20,000 liberty activists to New Hampshire
2. ???
3. Freedom

What i know of step two i have seen on the Ridley Report. Open carry and civil disobedience are good things to do, and even something that might be worth moving to participate in and of themselves but there is a disconnect in my mind between these things and political victories. I understand there has been some success with local elections and ballot initiatives. If you could give me some idea what individuals are doing to to help with that sort of thing it would be appreciated.

coldsoul

• FSP Participant
Re: What can i do?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 07:40:56 am »

I will leave this up for the experts in NH for the most part, but since I am moving in about a week I thought I should post on what I have seen, and think about the project.

Once you get to NH the FSP part actually completely end's accept for trying to recruit new FSP members from outside of NH. The purpose of the FSP is to get you to NH with the understanding that you will:

"Statement of Intent

I hereby state my solemn intent to move to the state of New Hampshire. Once there, I will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of civil government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Now a lot of people will see this in different ways, for some examples...

Civil Disobedience
Voting
Protests/Public Awareness Activities
Running for Office

And there is plenty more, but those are just some of the basics. So the basic idea is this:

1. Get 20,000 people to NH
2. With 20,000 people exerting the fullest practical effort to creating a society that government is limited to only protecting Life, Liberty and Property there will be no way that we could not be more free in the short term, and especially long term.
3. Continue step 2 and be more free.

It's up to you to decide how your going to make step 2 work at least for yourself, other will decide for themselves. This free market freedom activity's will allow the market decide what it the best way of pursuing liberty.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:57:51 am »

well put cold soul.

Welcome Frost.

mongo

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 05:29:05 pm »

I am trying to understand what i could do to help further the goals of the Free State Project if i were to move to New Hampshire. At the risk of parroting a snarky internet meme, my current understanding of the process is as follows:

1. Get 20,000 liberty activists to New Hampshire
2. ???
3. Freedom

What i know of step two i have seen on the Ridley Report. Open carry and civil disobedience are good things to do, and even something that might be worth moving to participate in and of themselves but there is a disconnect in my mind between these things and political victories. I understand there has been some success with local elections and ballot initiatives. If you could give me some idea what individuals are doing to to help with that sort of thing it would be appreciated.

I moved here in May, and have been very impressed both with the various communities and also with the opportunities to get involved to make a positive difference. I was used to losing elections as a Libertarian back in the day, but winning one (campaigned for one of the state candidates) was a new experience for me as an independent. Whether it's medical marijuana, lower taxes, organizing, or fighting city hall, you can be as active as you want. Mostly the people here make the difference, and you will find that you have a lot of new friends as soon as you arrive. Make sure you stop in at Murphy's on a Tuesday night or to the First Church of the Gun in Deerfield on Sundays, you'll meet lots of other people with similar interests. See you here!

Cheers,

Mongo
"We anarchists have to stick together"
Hunter S. Thompson

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 05:47:02 pm »

Welcome, Frost!

You are correct in your observation that the FSP doesn't support, oppose, conduct or organize political activity in NH.  It's sole purpose is to get 20,000 libertarians to NH.  Once there, people can do whatever they think will bring liberty in our lifetime.

We have had significant electoral victories so far, helping to pass spending caps in a few towns and electing FOUR movers to the NH House of Representatives!  We have about 20 or so movers elected/appointed to various local offices and many movers are involved with the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance, which has helped to pass some good legislation and stop some bad legislation.

No, we don't know exactly what a movement to liberty will look like, but it's already clear that whatever you think the best path to liberty is - be it political, cultural or a mixture of the two - it's easier to do it with lots of other people who are as passionate about liberty as you are.  It's harder to do it alone. 

Please stick around and discuss any other questions/concerns you have.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 06:30:15 pm »

My plan is to get there one jump ahead of the Historic First One hundred Days.  The packing is going faster than I'd anticipated, and I may tell the folks where I work that I can begin accepting assignments again. 
I have my own ideas for productive activism, and saw no signs of anything similar until just this week.  But I've always figured that showing up, listening and learning (don't want to be the New Guy With Lots Of Big Ideas . . .) , and getting involved with the existing crowd would put me in a situation where I'd find the like-minded. 

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 09:01:21 pm »

My plan is to get there one jump ahead of the Historic First One hundred Days.  The packing is going faster than I'd anticipated, and I may tell the folks where I work that I can begin accepting assignments again. 
I have my own ideas for productive activism, and saw no signs of anything similar until just this week.  But I've always figured that showing up, listening and learning (don't want to be the New Guy With Lots Of Big Ideas . . .) , and getting involved with the existing crowd would put me in a situation where I'd find the like-minded. 
And we would love to have you (and  your ideas)

Sam A. Robrin

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 11:29:48 pm »

And we would love to have you (and  your ideas)

Oh, you will!

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 10:01:28 am »

1.) Love Freedom
2.) Move to New Hampshire
3.) ???
4.) Profit!

The beauty of the FSP is in the fact that nobody knows the "right way". In fact, the FSP is the RESPONSE to everyone claiming to know the right way. The Libertarian Party has spend the past 40 years debating on what is the "right way" and look where it got them.

The activists who have moved have found that doing what they CARE about and sharing with other activists is the best thing to do. When the issues you're working for are near and dear to your heart, you don't burn out nearly as quickly. What you're willing to DO for those issues opens more doors (are you willing to go to jail for gun rights AND cockfighting, or does one issue matter more to you than another?). There are resources to share experiences and learn from them.

Nobody has achieved a free society yet. If they had, people would have the right answer on what to do. Since we're treading new territory with this, it takes creativity that only YOU can bring to the table and that's true of every activist who gets involved with the FSP. Only you know your skills, only you know how to apply them to gaining freedom.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 11:46:42 am »

Whatever the right way is, it will not work if your libertarian base is 2-3 guys in a coffee shop, which is pretty much the libertarian "base" in any given community.  Whatever the right way is, it will take a lot of help to implement.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 02:00:21 pm »

Whatever the right way is, it will not work if your libertarian base is 2-3 guys in a coffee shop, which is pretty much the libertarian "base" in any given community.  Whatever the right way is, it will take a lot of help to implement.

Hey, don't pretend to know my pre-NH libertarian situation! I'll have you know it was 3 guys in a crappy restaurant in my LA suburb!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:34:03 pm by sj »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 04:34:18 pm »

Hey, don't pretend to know my pre-NH libertarian situation! I'll have you know it was 3 guys in a crappy restaurant in my LA suburb!

:)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:34:12 pm by sj »

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 08:48:18 pm »

Damn you Dale... If we had known about each other when we were both in LA  it could have been 4!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:34:20 pm by sj »

Frost

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:56 pm »

Thanks guys, I believe I have a better understanding now.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 09:15:26 pm »

Thanks guys, I believe I have a better understanding now.

And what do you think?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up