Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Immigrate by starting a business - which requirements apply?  (Read 6126 times)

gu3st

• FSP Participant
  • Voluntaryist
Immigrate by starting a business - which requirements apply?
« on: November 15, 2008, 05:19:01 pm »

I've added a few tips to FSI site's tips section, but before adding the one regarding starting a business I would like to ask for some clarifications on what are the basic requirements.

So.. from what I've read elsewhere on this forum it is possible for a foreigner to immigrate by attempting to start a business in USA, having a developed business plan and perhaps something to invest. What I'd like to know is whether any investment is actually required and if so what would the minimal investment be? If actual monetary investment is not required I assume you have to have a very convincing business plan with great expectancy of success. Are there any additional requirements?

Also, is anyone aware of any examples of people who immigrated by means of starting a new business within USA? How did that go? What did they have to do? What is the rate of success with this method of immigration?

Based on your feedback I'll then post about it as a tip on the FSI site.

Thanks

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: Immigrate by starting a business - which requirements apply?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 05:54:14 pm »

So.. from what I've read elsewhere on this forum it is possible for a foreigner to immigrate by attempting to start a business in USA, having a developed business plan and perhaps something to invest. What I'd like to know is whether any investment is actually required and if so what would the minimal investment be? If actual monetary investment is not required I assume you have to have a very convincing business plan with great expectancy of success. Are there any additional requirements?

You can't just immigrate to start a business. It's a bit more complicated than that. You still need to fit a visa category. The most appropriate there is E-2. If are immigrating by purchasing/starting-up a business to operate, there is no published dollar amount. I've heard numbers below $100,000 passing--but that's not frequent. The "safe" number appears to be about $150,000. And in any particular case, it could be more; could be less. It's not just a dollar amount. There are many qualifying criteria that need to be met. And there are criteria that can instantly disqualify you even if you have the money. The "normal" processing time can range from 6 weeks to 6 months. For an extra $1000 fee, your application can be "expedited" and you may get a response within 15 days.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:52:22 pm by B.D. Ross »

gu3st

• FSP Participant
  • Voluntaryist
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 02:47:27 am »

Thanks Ross, though sorry for a huge delay in responding. I was kinda hoping for more replies and so didn't respond immediately. Meanwhile got completely backtracked by other activities and before you know it, weeks passed. :)

Anyway, I've used information you provided to make a post: http://freestatersinternational.com/tips/start-business

I pretty much just paraphrased you and gave you credit. :)

Thanks

Caue

• general developer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 04:01:49 pm »

You can't just immigrate to start a business. It's a bit more complicated than that. You still need to fit a visa category. The most appropriate there is E-2. If are immigrating by purchasing/starting-up a business to operate, there is no published dollar amount. I've heard numbers below $100,000 passing--but that's not frequent. The "safe" number appears to be about $150,000. And in any particular case, it could be more; could be less. It's not just a dollar amount. There are many qualifying criteria that need to be met. And there are criteria that can instantly disqualify you even if you have the money. The "normal" processing time can range from 6 weeks to 6 months. For an extra $1000 fee, your application can be "expedited" and you may get a response within 15 days.

Do you happen to know of any personal stories of people who managed to do the E-2? Or somewhere I could find them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything