Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What can you guys tell me aout Rumney, Greenfield, and Epsom?  (Read 5817 times)

lloydbob1

Re: What can you guys tell me aout Rumney, Greenfield, and Epsom?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 11:53:06 am »

Rumney ( Dorchester) is close to Grafton and the on the Eastern edge of Grafton 10, the district Bob Hull lost in.  Dorchester voted for Bob and his R friends over the D's but, by a lower margin than Grafton.
If you can't find your way to Grafton, Rumney is a good choice.

motoracer51

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 12:07:35 pm »

The police in Epsom are unpleasant. They run speed traps just down the road from my house all the time.

Christ...I wonder how they would react to the constant gunfire coming from my property?

It looks like I have to go north, to Rumney perhaps, to get away from the craziness. 

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 12:10:02 pm »

I think most police anywhere are unpleasant. Their existance is unpleasant. :)
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 12:19:55 pm »

The police in Epsom are unpleasant. They run speed traps just down the road from my house all the time.

Christ...I wonder how they would react to the constant gunfire coming from my property?

It looks like I have to go north, to Rumney perhaps, to get away from the craziness. 

1) Just because the cops run speed traps doesn't mean they're going to hassle you over some backyard target practice.  The statewide law in NH is that you can shoot on your property all you want, provided a couple conditions are met.  The primary condition is that your property is at least 4 acres (I believe).  This doesn't mean that police won't hassle you or that neighbors won't complain, but you would/should ultimately prevail if it came to a legal question.

2) What's to say there aren't some petty neighbors and police in Rumney as well?

I think Rumney is great, but it would severely limit your accessibility to activism and social opportunities.

freedomroad

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 12:45:32 pm »

I think Rumney is great, but it would severely limit your accessibility to activism and social opportunities.

Concord is an hour away for statewide activism.  Grafton is 50 min and Lebanon is around an hour away.  As long as he doesn't mind drive an hour each way to stuff he should have plenty of activism and social opportunities.  Of course, as you said before, Plymouth is real close.

I agree with what you said about the kids.  There are speed traps in every state and certainly in most populated parts of America.  I've seen them all over NH, too.  I don't think it means anything particular about the local cops since almost all of the police agencies do it.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 01:29:58 pm »

Concord is an hour away for statewide activism.  Grafton is 50 min and Lebanon is around an hour away.  As long as he doesn't mind drive an hour each way to stuff he should have plenty of activism and social opportunities.  Of course, as you said before, Plymouth is real close.

I guess I should have said the location of Rumney makes it far less convenient to access activism and social opportunities.  Round trip differences:

...to/from Concord: 1 hour
...to/fom Manchester: 1 hour, 20 minutes
...to/from Keene: 1 hour, 20 minutes
...to/from Portsmouth: 2 hours, 20 minutes

Rumney wins on trips to Grafton (by 2 hours roundtrip).  If motoracer values proximity to Grafton above all else, then he might as well just look for land in Grafton -- but otherwise Rumney is a great choice.  If he wants access to the widest possible selection of activism and social opportunities, then Epsom wins hands down.

motoracer51

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 01:45:24 pm »

I guess I should have said the location of Rumney makes it far less convenient to access activism and social opportunities.  Round trip differences:

...to/from Concord: 1 hour
...to/fom Manchester: 1 hour, 20 minutes
...to/from Keene: 1 hour, 20 minutes
...to/from Portsmouth: 2 hours, 20 minutes

Rumney wins on trips to Grafton (by 2 hours roundtrip).  If motoracer values proximity to Grafton above all else, then he might as well just look for land in Grafton -- but otherwise Rumney is a great choice.  If he wants access to the widest possible selection of activism and social opportunities, then Epsom wins hands down.

Pardon my ignorance, as I'm just getting involved, but what is happening in Grafton that isn't happening elsewhere?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 01:56:20 pm »

Pardon my ignorance, as I'm just getting involved, but what is happening in Grafton that isn't happening elsewhere?
Nothing --there is activism all over the state.
Grafton is noted for no zoning and quite a few FSPers are moving up there because of the no zoning and soon to be large concentration of FSPers in that town.

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 01:57:01 pm »

Grafton is one of the towns in NH that has the least overall laws, especially no zoning. And so a lot of porcupines have been moving there. I'm seriously thinking about it in the future also.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 01:58:34 pm »

Grafton is one of the major locations for outside-the-system activists to move.  If you're interested political activism, grocery stores, and any non-rural scenery, I'm not sure that Grafton would be your cup of tea.  ;D  On the other hand, there is a strong and growing number of close-knit activists in Grafton, and they are increasingly effective at keeping that town going in a pro-liberty direction (especially with respect to zoning, as others have just mentioned).

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 02:01:37 pm »

Grafton is one of the major locations for outside-the-system activists to move.  If you're interested political activism, grocery stores, and any non-rural scenery, I'm not sure that Grafton would be your cup of tea.  ;D  On the other hand, there is a strong and growing number of close-knit activists in Grafton, and they are increasingly effective at keeping that town going in a pro-liberty direction (especially with respect to zoning, as others have just mentioned).

another urban (or is it rural) myth.
Many of them ran for election last spring.  At least one of them ran for NH House.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 02:14:33 pm »

Many of them ran for election last spring.  At least one of them ran for NH House.

Ok, point taken.  On the other hand I didn't claim that Grafton consisted of exclusively outside-the-system types -- just that it is one of the major areas to which such activists are drawn (the other being Keene).

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that political activism is more prominent around the Concord/Manchester areas, which would make Epsom a better choice for someone interested in that sort of thing.  I believe the bit about grocery stores and non-rural scenery is pretty accurate though.   ;)

lloydbob1

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 05:10:58 pm »

One of them won election for Supervisor Of The Checklist.  One of them is Town Health Officer.  Friends who were here already hold several local gummit seats.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up