Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What can you guys tell me aout Rumney, Greenfield, and Epsom?  (Read 5815 times)

motoracer51

What can you guys tell me aout Rumney, Greenfield, and Epsom?
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:00:28 pm »

Hi guys!!

I posted a few thread a while ago about relocating to NH, and as we search for more properties ( I'm looking for acreage, so I have to be less selective about the area ) I was wondering what you guys can tell me about them?

We're looking at some properties in Rumney, Greenfield, and Epsom.

Now I'll first lay out that there is a possibility that my wife might be working in Concord a few (2-3) days per week, so I know that Epsom would be the best case scenario in this case.

Although Rumney is a bit further than Greenfield is from Concord, I guess since much of the commute would be on 93, the time difference is only about 10-15 minutes.

From what I've seen, Greenfield has some of the higher taxes at about $21/$1K.  Epsom falling in between Greenfield and Rumney.

Schools in Rumney, according to some website my wife has been looking into, are rated the best of these three.

The great thing about the Epsom house is cable internet, which is nice.  I think the downfall is the higher density, which could be problematic as I'd like to do some recreational target shooting on my land.

Now, all the properties are 65+ acres, some being closer to 100.

I guess what I'm asking is if any of you have live in, or been to any of these towns, and can give me your personal assessment of the town/area, that would be great!!

Things like weather, town centers, activism, recreation, hunting, shopping (grocery and necessities) and anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

We're looking forward to getting there and helping preserve the freedoms you have, and hopefully expand on them. 

Regards,

John and Rose

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
Re: What can you guys tell me aout Rumney, Greenfield, and Epsom?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:17:10 pm »

I don't have any info for you, but I'm glad to hear you're moving forward  :)
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:23:05 pm »

Epsom will have a great State Rep next session.   :)

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 09:52:09 pm »

Things like weather, town centers, activism, recreation, hunting, shopping (grocery and necessities) and anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Rumney is a charming little town with ample recreational opportunities.  There's world-class climbing and good hiking all around.  It's a tiny little town with low taxes and not a whole lot going on -- hardly any free staters up in that part of the state.  It's right down the road from Plymouth, which is the cultural hub of the area.  That's where you'd go for coffee shops, a hospital, people-watching, dining, movie theater, music events at PSU, etc.  There's a Hannaford's grocery store on route 25, as well as a Walmart.

Of the towns you listed, Rumney is probably the most quaint, rural, and remote...and possibly the cheapest.  I don't know anything about Greenfield, but it is centrally located between Keene and Manchester/Concord.  From an activism point of view, you'd have a lot of opportunities due to the geography.  Epsom would be good from that perspective too, being close to Manchester/Concord and reasonably close to the Seacoast.  There are quite a few free staters along route 4 between Concord and Portsmouth.

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:41 pm »

Also, Epsom is not far at all from Deerfield where there's a Porcmanor and very close to Concord, so lots of activism and networking opportunity from that standpoint.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 10:39:54 pm »

Epsom was on the list of towns that I looked at when I first moved here.
I liked that it was 'near stuff' but yet still was 'rural' in some areas.

Greenfield probably has the worst commute (to Concord) of the 3.

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:50:06 pm »

Greenfield is an alright commute to Amherst or Peterborough and Bedford though, down 101.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 07:41:05 am »

I'd say Epsom. Has porcs, close to my place (I have a range), easy access to Concord Manch and seacoast, close to good shopping, an Objectivist run Montessori school, and also close to Kevin Roll's place (where you'll be partying a few times a year :) )
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 08:07:57 am »

Good call, Ron. I forgot about Kevin's place. Yeah, another great reason to move to Epsom. Kevin's is porcupine party central. 8)

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:32:55 am »

Just piling on more Epsom pluses:

In addition to your 65+ acres, on which you can do target-shooting or hunting to your heart's content (the latter subject to the usual hunting season restrictions), you are also pretty close to Bear Brook state park.  You can hunt there, as well as hike, etc.  Not sure why you'd need to with such a large tract of land for yourself, but it's just another option.

Your proximity to social, cultural, and activism opportunities in Epsom are probably the biggest advantages of that town, and shouldn't be overlooked.

lloydbob1

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 08:39:24 am »

Hi guys!!

I posted a few thread a while ago about relocating to NH, and as we search for more properties ( I'm looking for acreage, so I have to be less selective about the area ) I was wondering what you guys can tell me about them?

We're looking at some properties in Rumney, Greenfield, and Epsom.

Now I'll first lay out that there is a possibility that my wife might be working in Concord a few (2-3) days per week, so I know that Epsom would be the best case scenario in this case.

Although Rumney is a bit further than Greenfield is from Concord, I guess since much of the commute would be on 93, the time difference is only about 10-15 minutes.

From what I've seen, Greenfield has some of the higher taxes at about $21/$1K.  Epsom falling in between Greenfield and Rumney.

Schools in Rumney, according to some website my wife has been looking into, are rated the best of these three.

The great thing about the Epsom house is cable internet, which is nice.  I think the downfall is the higher density, which could be problematic as I'd like to do some recreational target shooting on my land.

Now, all the properties are 65+ acres, some being closer to 100.

I guess what I'm asking is if any of you have live in, or been to any of these towns, and can give me your personal assessment of the town/area, that would be great!!

We're looking forward to getting there and helping preserve the freedoms you have, and hopefully expand on them. 

Regards,

John and Rose

These places are not Grafton. 

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 09:25:32 am »

But he is right! They are not Grafton... ;) :P

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 10:02:27 am »

But he is right! They are not Grafton... ;) :P

True!  I never disputed the veracity of his claim.   ;D

I fully agree with Lloyd that neither Rumney, nor Greenfield, nor Epsom are in fact Grafton.   8)

aworldnervelink

• Question Your Assumptions
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 10:57:37 am »

The police in Epsom are unpleasant. They run speed traps just down the road from my house all the time.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up