Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: FSP Recruiting on Facebook  (Read 80599 times)

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
Re: FSP Recruiting on Facebook
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2008, 02:49:45 pm »

The money will be spent.  The question is, who are the most likely to sign up and move?  I think the younger the better, especially if they're in college, because they're more mobile.  That's why I focused the limited funding on 18-25 year olds.  Do you think that was the right or wrong call?

I think it's a good demographic because of the mobility aspect, as you pointed out. ('Course, it's not going to hit some grad/law/med/biz students who are statistically older and still very mobile.)

On the flip-side, I think it's less likely to get "serious" signers/movers from the undergraduate demographic. I can easily see a freshman clicking the link on a whim, then going out to play ultimate frisbee. Then forgetting about the whole thing. I can't say such a thing happens, but I could see FSP fading into the chaos of college if there isn't "more" to reinforce the message. In my own friends circle, I have noticed a lot more people with the "Libertarian" tag. It coincided very much with the ramp-up of the presidential primaries in 2007. I'm not sure if it's just a Facebook "give-a-finger-to-the-election" fad or what. I guess my point on that is that demographic is also very fickle, and their preferences shift quickly.

Also, I think there are additional "advertising channels" into colleges. Like, student liaisons, student groups, even random posters/flyers (ridiculously cost-effective). For example, people who would attend student meetings, etc.--those are pretty much guaranteed signers. And the organizers of those events will typically work for free because they "believe in the cause." (Not to denigrate them in any way; I'm just talking about conserving funds--a lot of the people who do all the ground-pounding don't have hard cash, but they'll put in the necessary grunt work!)

I suppose my thinking was that students have the potential to be bombarded with FSP material from multiple directions. Thus, some paid advertising would be redundant. Whereas older individuals typically don't have those multiple opportunities, so a Facebook ad might be the first (possibly only) opportunity they ever hear of FSP.

Another thing with click-through advertising. Not every impression needs to generate a click. Half of the problem is saturating the viewers with exposure to the FSP--because they don't know it exists. Repeated impressions, send the message that, yes, this is a legitimate thing and maybe you should look into it. On that note, I wouldn't judge the effectiveness of (what I hope is) a long-term campaign quite yet.

I'd suggest rotating to another state in the same age-demographic (Don't forget NJ--lot of unhappy people there). No rush to "make it perfect". Can always re-assess the results down the road. On that, it would be helpful to know whether the clickthroughs actually sign-up for a newsletter, mailing list, SOI, etc. Do we have that capability? If there are solid results, I'll certainly chip in to keep it going :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:27:25 pm by sj »

Fishercat

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2008, 03:01:05 pm »

On the flip-side, I think it's less likely to get "serious" signers/movers from the undergraduate demographic.

Agreed.

The under-25 crowd who are trying to start a career are going to be at the mercy of the job market.  You've got to go where you can start your job.   A 35+, on the other hand, may be established enough to more that career with him.  And a 45+ may be in a position to consider early retirement, or at least a major career change, to help facilitate a move.

Facebook already is going to skew you towards the lower age groups, so I wouldn't anticipate opening up the upper end to be that much of a cost issue.   Since we only pay for the click-throughs, what we are concerned about is the seriousness of those clicks, not the quality of the demographics overall.  Looking at it from that angle, I would guess targeting the higher age groups would work out.

In any case, it might be worth an experiment... maybe a follow on to the younger MA campaign, and try to figure out how it really plays out.

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2008, 03:13:51 pm »

On the flip-side, I think it's less likely to get "serious" signers/movers from the undergraduate demographic.
Facebook already is going to skew you towards the lower age groups, so I wouldn't anticipate opening up the upper end to be that much of a cost issue.   Since we only pay for the click-throughs, what we are concerned about is the seriousness of those clicks, not the quality of the demographics overall.  Looking at it from that angle, I would guess targeting the higher age groups would work out.

Perhaps we could estimate how many people in each age group are actually in each area.

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2008, 03:14:44 pm »

For MA, perhaps a "Tired of having no voice in government?" tag for the 25+ crowd might get us some participants.  Anyone whose job is on 128 or I-495 can move to Southern NH and suffer MA income tax alongside NH property tax, but there are a LOT of people who do that already.  Don't discount those 25+ who have a non-portable job that wouldn't mind a 20 minute longer commute to be able to actually vote for a Republican for state rep, something many people in MA do not have the chance to do.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2008, 03:20:31 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll take it into account as I start phase two. 

It seems I'm alone in thinking that the 18-25 demographic is the most cost-effective.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2008, 03:24:34 pm »

I'm new to facebook advertising.  Does it cost more to target, say, 18-40 year olds than 18-25 year olds?  The chart indicates that we're paying for clicks, not impressions (maybe I'm reading it wrong).

We pay per click...the question is how quality the clicks are and whether we're getting the most bang for our buck.  I figured that 18-25 were the most mobile and therefore the most cost-effective clicks.  I'll probably raise the age for next time since that seems to be the consensus.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

rossby

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 04:25:23 pm »

I'm new to facebook advertising.  Does it cost more to target, say, 18-40 year olds than 18-25 year olds?  The chart indicates that we're paying for clicks, not impressions (maybe I'm reading it wrong).

We pay per click...the question is how quality the clicks are and whether we're getting the most bang for our buck.  I figured that 18-25 were the most mobile and therefore the most cost-effective clicks.  I'll probably raise the age for next time since that seems to be the consensus.

We're just offering constructive commentary :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:27:34 pm by sj »

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 05:01:11 pm »

It seems I'm alone in thinking that the 18-25 demographic is the most cost-effective.

There is also the idealistic quality in younger people, as well as the belief that the sky is the limit.
Also, young people are particularly drawn to feeling like they are part of a cause.
And, the largest demographic on facebook is the 18-25 crowd.

I think you people are good to get your hands on...

I'm.... shit wow I'm 28.  HA HA HA HA, I'm not in the young category!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

garthwaited

• Administrator
  • First 1000
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 05:24:21 pm »

I've asked about putting shipple's chip-in at the top of the forum.

What'dya guy's think?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 05:52:49 pm »

What'dya guy's think?
good idea.

Seth do both... increase to say 40.  and then do ME, RI, CT, VT, NY, NJ, PA in that order.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 06:13:57 pm »

What'dya guy's think?
good idea.

Seth do both... increase to say 40.  and then do ME, RI, CT, VT, NY, NJ, PA in that order.

We'll have the money to do that, I think, after this month's FSP News goes out.

If I have my druthers, the age won't go above 30.  I'll have to decide how big of an audience I can target at the end of this week when I see the click through rate and how much we've raised.  I'll then decide which states we should expand to.  All of the ones you mention will be in the consideration set...I don't think we should go south of PA...although I've considered Maryland because it's so statist (meaning a libertarian would not feel at home there and might be more eager to move).

The reason I'm trying not to expand this too broad, besides the fact that I'm trying to stretch the funds, is that since we don't pay for people to look at the ad, the longer the ad is running, the more free advertising we get, so I don't want the money to run out too quick.  I want to stretch it out.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:27:40 pm by sj »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 06:21:54 pm »

What'dya guy's think?

I, of course, love the idea.   :)  Others might not since the donations go directly to me and aren't filtered through the FSP.  For that reason, I try to be very open about everything, posting daily updates which show a screenshot of exactly what is going on, which can be compared to the info given at the chipin site.  Even so, if there's pushback on putting this at the top of the forum, that will be their complaint.  If there's a debate about whether or not the chipin should be at the top of the forum, it will explain further why I didn't do this project through the FSP...it just takes too much time.

*shrugs*  No one else was doing this...I've suggested it multiple times and nothing happened so I did it myself.   I came up with the idea, designed the message, designed the page, set up the chipin and launched the campaign...it's worked much better than decision-making by committee me thinks. 

Let me know what John M says about it!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:27:54 pm by sj »

coldsoul

• FSP Participant
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 07:10:22 pm »

I think I am going to send a few bucks the way of this, looks like a good way to get new members. Though I am not a part of facebook, I know it's pretty popular.

Neal Conner

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Republica Neo Hantoniensis
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2008, 09:54:34 am »

On the flip-side, I think it's less likely to get "serious" signers/movers from the undergraduate demographic. I can easily see a freshman clicking the link on a whim, then going out to play ultimate frisbee. Then forgetting about the whole thing. I can't say such a thing happens, but I could see FSP fading into the chaos of college if there isn't "more" to reinforce the message.

As a 19-year-old college freshman, I decided to join the FSP while sitting in my dorm's laundry room after thinking about it seriously for quite some time. Later that week I bought plane tickets to go to my first PorcFest (2006).

I wasn't a fan of ultimate frisbee though, so I may not fit your example.

We must keep in mind just how dedicated to liberty our fellow libertarians and Ron Paul supporters are, how extremely motivated college students are, and how inspired they could become by an actual prospect of liberty in their lifetimes.

I think this is the right market to first target, but I also think that the FSP should be spending a good portion of its money on this each month!

Seth, have you put in a request for budgeting to make a facebook campaign permanent?
"To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity." – Howard Roark

aworldnervelink

• Question Your Assumptions
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2008, 10:55:39 am »

I'm working on a Facebook app which will display the FSP counter numbers. Users will be able to add it to their profiles - permanent advertising.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 15   Go Up