Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: FSP Recruiting on Facebook  (Read 80600 times)

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: FSP Recruiting on Facebook
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2008, 09:01:46 pm »

Also I heard that someone just made an 'event' in Facebook for the Liberty Forum... go RSVP or 'whatever' on facebook for the Liberty Forum.

There seems to be two.   Which one is the real one?
Got me... I have never been on facebook.
I will find out if the other one is legit (from the person who emailed me)... I am willing to bet it is legit...

freedomroad

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2008, 09:06:19 pm »

Also I heard that someone just made an 'event' in Facebook for the Liberty Forum... go RSVP or 'whatever' on facebook for the Liberty Forum.

There seems to be two.   Which one is the real one?
Got me... I have never been on facebook.
I will find out if the other one is legit (from the person who emailed me)... I am willing to bet it is legit...

It's just an event.  It has the correct dates.  It cannot really be fake.

Neal Conner

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Republica Neo Hantoniensis
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2008, 09:45:01 am »

Heard? Get with the times man! Join facebook already.

I created the official Liberty Forum event hosted by the FSP facebook group. That was only after I experimented to see if the other, independently-created event could be changed to be hosted by the FSP group. It appears that facebook doesn't allow that, which is why I had to create another one.

Thankfully, facebook seems to have since fixed that bug. We're now combining the events, and directing people from one to the other.
This is the one you should RSVP to: New Hampshire Liberty Forum 2009
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 10:05:57 am by Neal Conner »
"To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity." – Howard Roark

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 10:27:03 am »

Heard? Get with the times man! Join facebook already.

I created the official Liberty Forum event hosted by the FSP facebook group. That was only after I experimented to see if the other, independently-created event could be changed to be hosted by the FSP group. It appears that facebook doesn't allow that, which is why I had to create another one.
No there is someone besides you Neal.  :)

Neal Conner

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Republica Neo Hantoniensis
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2008, 10:36:23 am »

No there is someone besides you Neal.  :)

Harrassing you to get on Facebook? I hope so!

Creating Liberty Forum facebook events? Yes, John Delano. I appreciate his initiative in creating an event. Now we just have to figure out how to effectively combine them.

Back on topic: Keep the clicks coming, Seth!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:24:00 pm by Neal Conner »
"To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity." – Howard Roark

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 02:27:30 pm »

Facebook advertising rocks!  We're paying 1/2 to 1/3 per click what we would pay with google and we are targeting EXACTLY the audience we want rather than merely targeting mostly the audience we want.  The biggest problem I see is that our audience is only 3,000 people.  Those 3,000 people will see this ad dozens of times by the end of the week though (they've already seen it an average of 6 times each and it's cost us all of $15).

As you can see from the image below, we've had 50 clicks costing 30 cents each.  18,000 impressions (meaning the ad has been shown 18,000 times).  That gives us a click through rate of 0.28% (smaller than I would have thought, but young people are particularly good at filtering out advertising).  Think about how cool that is though.  It costs us about $2.50 to put this ad in front of every 18-25 year old libertarian in MA on facebook.  And it costs us only 30 cents to have one of them look at our website.  You can't get advertising like that cost effective anywhere else.

We are definitely going to have money left over by the end of this week.  I'm thinking of expanding the ad to other states in the area, focusing on the ones with biggest government: New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Rhode Island.  I'll run the ads there till the money is spent. I really believe that this is the best advertising we can be doing so don't hesitate to contribute if you haven't yet.  It will be put to good use.

Final note: The reason that today's clicks are lower than yesterday's is because today doesn't end until 3:00 AM (that's when the ad was approved and that's how the 24 hour periods are measured).

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:26:25 pm by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2008, 02:29:25 pm »

Why only 3,000?
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008, 02:42:56 pm »

Why only 3,000?

That's the total number of Massachusetts facebook users between the ages of 18-25 who consider themselves libertarian OR are interested in Ron Paul OR are interested in Campaign for Liberty OR are interested in Ayn Rand.  Remember that the FSP's target market is very, very small...so I'm targeting a very small subset of the population.

I targeted the ad very specifically to get the most bang for the buck and it seems to be working.  Every libertarian 18-25 year old facebook user in MA will know something about the Free State Project by the end of this week.  They will at least recognize our logo because they're seeing this ad an average of 2-3 times per day.  Good targeting = cost effectiveness. 

Don't worry...we'll reach more people, but we'll do it in the same targeted way.  That way, we'll get the most bang for our buck out of the $215 we raised.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:26:30 pm by sj »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

sonio

• FSP Participant
    • Sonio on Facebook
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2008, 02:52:39 pm »

That is fantastic!  :)

I met a lot of Libertarians in the short time I lived in TX.  (For after we take over MA)
It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. – Charles A. Beard

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2008, 08:03:20 pm »

Daily update below.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:26:36 pm by sj »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2008, 01:43:05 pm »

Daily update.

I think we're going to see diminishing clicks for the remaining two days as we've saturated all the 18-25 year old libertarians on Facebook in MA.  They've each seen our ad about 16 times by now.  That's good.  I'll be expanding the ad to the most other states in the NE where a libertarian would feel least at home (NJ, NY, etc) after this run expires.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:26:40 pm by sj »

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2008, 02:08:42 pm »

I think we're going to see diminishing clicks for the remaining two days as we've saturated all the 18-25 year old libertarians on Facebook in MA.  They've each seen our ad about 16 times by now.  That's good.  I'll be expanding the ad to the most other states in the NE where a libertarian would feel least at home (NJ, NY, etc) after this run expires.

Just a thought: is it worth increasing the age range? There are a lot of people over 25 on facebook.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:26:49 pm by sj »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 02:14:20 pm »

Just a thought: is it worth increasing the age range? There are a lot of people over 25 on facebook.

The money will be spent.  The question is, who are the most likely to sign up and move?  I think the younger the better, especially if they're in college, because they're more mobile.  That's why I focused the limited funding on 18-25 year olds.  I'm trying to squeeze the most out of the funding.  There are lots of ways to reach more people, but my concern is reaching the RIGHT people...the ones most likely to move.  Do you think that was the right or wrong call?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:26:58 pm by sj »

freedomroad

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 02:40:04 pm »

18-25 in MA is a great 1st step.  Either move to  18-25 in VT, ME, CT, and RI or to 26-35 in MA or so.  Then NY :)
We can always go back to 18-25 in MA a year from now with more or different search terms.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 02:46:54 pm »

The money will be spent.  The question is, who are the most likely to sign up and move?  I think the younger the better, especially if they're in college, because they're more mobile.  That's why I focused the limited funding on 18-25 year olds.  I'm trying to squeeze the most out of the funding.  There are lots of ways to reach more people, but my concern is reaching the RIGHT people...the ones most likely to move.  Do you think that was the right or wrong call?

I'm new to facebook advertising.  Does it cost more to target, say, 18-40 year olds than 18-25 year olds?  The chart indicates that we're paying for clicks, not impressions (maybe I'm reading it wrong).

I think 18-25 year olds are a fine group to target, but the 26+ crowd might have some advantages: bringing along their own businesses, money, and families (for the next generation of liberty activists).  We probably need to target all groups, but it's hard to make a determination about which groups are 1) easier to reach or 2) more valuable than others.

We're talking about a $30 investment so far though, right?  If that's the case, we should assess how well it worked, and if it looks like a promising ROI, expand it in a couple different directions (age and geographic region at least).  Maybe we should try a market-based approach to this by offering a chip-in for different categories: one for 18-25 year olds in VT/ME/CT/RI, another for 26-40 in MA, etc.  The ones that get funded will have ads purchased.  Just a thought.

This was a good idea -- thanks for running with it, Seth!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 11:27:15 pm by sj »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 15   Go Up