Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visiting this weekend  (Read 2221 times)

kcalvelli

Visiting this weekend
« on: November 05, 2008, 12:47:52 am »

My wife and I will be coming to New Hampshire this weekend to familiarize ourselves with the area.  We will most likely be bouncing around between Manchester, Concord and the coast for a couple of days, and would really appreciate some input as to the best areas to check out.

Of course, you probably need to know a little bit about us before you can recommend anything, so here goes:

I am an LP activist in North Carolina, originally from New York but with a few years in the South under my belt.  My wife is mostly non-political but leans libertarian in just about all areas.  We are both technology professionals who telecommute, so that gives us a ton of freedom in choosing an area in which to live.  We moved to the South a number of years ago, but feel the need at this point to move closer to our families (and honestly away from the South) as we are planning to spawn within the next couple of years.  To that end, we need to live within an hour or so of Boston, where my wife has family, and within four or five hours of NYC where I have family.  We both have a deep love for the ocean, so would ideally like to live in a coastal community.  We are also complete dog nuts, and want our St. Bernards to experience snow.

So if you matched my profile, and had a couple of days to check out the state, where do you think you would go?

If we like what we see during our visit, as I suspect we will, we will be signing and moving up within the year.

Dan McGuire

• FSP Participant
  • What's a llama?
    • danmcguire.com
Re: Visiting this weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:23:53 am »

Any place in southeastern New Hampshire meets the distance to Boston and NYC requirements.  You'll get a little closer to those as you go west from the coast.  The closest to Boston is Salem (40 minutes on weekends), but that is half an hour from the seacoast.
s
We only have a 12-mile coast, which has the following communities (south to north): Seabrook, Hampton Falls, Hampton, North Hampton, Rye, Portsmouth, New Castle.

Portsmouth is a political wasteland of liberals, but the others are all reasonable.  They are roughly in order of least-expensive to most-expensive for housing.

The towns immediately to the west of the coastal towns are also nice: South Hampton, Kensington, Exeter, Stratham, Greenland.  Of those, Stratham (pronounced Strat-ham) would be the least expensive, and Greenland the most insular.

For the lowest property taxes in the state, choose Newington, which is next to Portsmouth.  They've got considerable industry there.  Pretty good, but politically merged with Portsmouth and thus hopeless for anything other than town elections.

Dan

kcalvelli

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 11:24:25 am »

Thank you for your reply!

So of the towns you mentioned, are there any with a significant free stater presence, or do I have to go further west towards Manchester for that?

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

Thank you for your reply!

So of the towns you mentioned, are there any with a significant free stater presence, or do I have to go further west towards Manchester for that?

There is a nice group growing on the seacoast... I don't know exactly who is in what town.

YOu might want to stop by the MVP (Merrimack valley Porcupines) meeting at Murphy's taproom on Saturday am at 11am in Manchester.

Welcome.

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:24:02 pm »

+1 for the Seacoast. Note, what people here refer to as the "Seacoast" encompasses quite a broad area, including some communities that are a fair ways inland. I'd recommend checking out Portsmouth, Dover, Hampton, and Seabrook. Portsmouth may be a "wasteland of liberals" but in my opinion it's a charming little city, albeit fairly expensive.

Yes, there is a strong freestater presence here, you might check out the NH Seacoast Liberty group - close to 100 members, several meetings per week (including "church" on Sunday).

~turbo
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 05:27:49 pm by turbo »
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

Tom Hudson

• NH Seacoast Liberty & Pirates of Liberty Organizer
    • New Hampshire Seacoast Liberty
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:24:40 pm »

My wife and I will be coming to New Hampshire this weekend to familiarize ourselves with the area.  We will most likely be bouncing around between Manchester, Concord and the coast for a couple of days, and would really appreciate some input as to the best areas to check out.

Sent you a PM...there is another couple coming up this weekend (maybe 2 couples)...if you are available we can get together and I'll introduce you to some of the folks on the seacoast.
"t was artfully contrived by Augustus that, in the enjoyment of plenty, the Romans should lose the memory of freedom."
--Edward Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 07:39:53 pm »

Seabrook has a porc manor now and seems to be developing a growing porcupine population. It's a nice compromise in terms of being on the coast but being a lot less expensive than much of the coast. It's also right on the border of MA and one of the easiest places to reach Boston from.

kcalvelli

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 08:44:50 pm »

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Our plan so far is to make that meeting at 11AM at Murphy's, drive around and get lost for a few hours and then meet with Tom in the evening.  Really exciting stuff!

mongo

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 05:56:57 pm »

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Our plan so far is to make that meeting at 11AM at Murphy's, drive around and get lost for a few hours and then meet with Tom in the evening.  Really exciting stuff!

I read this late. Did you make it? What did you do and what did you think about that? Did I meet you?

Cheers,

Mongo
"We anarchists have to stick together"
Hunter S. Thompson
Pages: [1]   Go Up