Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 2604 times)

Gar

Greetings
« on: April 21, 2003, 07:30:42 pm »

Hello all! I heard your documentary on This American Life over the weekend and I have a question about the FSP and Libertarian philosophy in general.
     Gun Control. I have some mixed views on gun control. There are some gun laws that I agree with. I think that background checks and restrictions on automatic weapons are a good idea. I find some other laws, such as the one that requires you to keep a lock on your gun, to be ridiculous and intrusive.
     Explain to me the Libertarian stance on gun control and why it will work. Would I be able to buy grenades or a bazooka in a Libertarian run state? What about automatic weapons? I've never owned a gun, and I know very little about gun control laws, so if you could cite some of the current laws that you oppose I would appreciate it.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re:Greetings
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 08:00:12 pm »

A distinction needs to be drawn between "ideal policies" and  actual reforms we'll be proposing.  Ideally, I see nothing wrong with grenades and automatic weapons in private hands; certainly, if you can't trust a peaceful, sane, adult citizen with these weapons, why should we trust 18 year olds trained to kill with them?  But we do.

Nevertheless, you don't have to share that ideal vision to be an FSP member.  Most of our efforts will be aimed at repealing concealed carry permit requirements and making sure silly proposals like mandatory trigger locks, storage laws, and so on don't get passed.  Ultimately, we should undertake activism on the federal level to repeal the Brady Act and assault weapons ban (which actually comes due very shortly, see Mary Lou Seymour's latest Liberty Action of the Week.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Elizabeth

• Former FSP Vice President
  • Someone has to ask the tough questions...
    • Free State Project
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2003, 06:01:13 pm »

Another excellent resource on libertarian thoughts on gun control is here:
http://free-market.net/spotlight/gunshift/
http://free-market.net/spotlight/minguns/
http://free-market.net/spotlight/womenandguns/

Note that the FSP has no specific position, but in general, we're anti-gun-control.

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2003, 11:25:04 pm »

Quote from: Elizabeth link=board=12;threadid=1616;start=0#msg22575

Note that the FSP has no specific position, but in general, we're anti-gun-control.
[quote

It might sound better if you say:
we're pro self-defense
we're anti-criminal power
we're for reasonable gun ownership
we're pro-gun
we're for giving women the ability to defend their life
we're very pro-second amendment
we're so pro-second amendment, we think it should be the first

Maybe you can think of better ones

The reason is-- if someone hears you say we're anti-gun, they will freeze up and not even hear or read the control.  You are blocking some of your audience from even getting your message.  

Tony

• FSP Participant
  • Anywhere but Delaware
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2003, 10:56:08 pm »

I'll cite a few of the bad laws: National Firearms Act of 1934, Gun Control Act of 1968, 89 "Bush" ban, 1994 "Crime Bill" which included the so-called assault weapons ban and the ban on the manufacture of new regular capacity magazines,  and myriad state laws.

There's no such thing as a good gun control law.  Ban murder, not shooting...  ::)

Robert H.

• Jeffersonian
    • Devolution USA
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2003, 12:33:16 am »

There's no such thing as a good gun control law.  Ban murder, not shooting...  ::)

Behavior legislation has increased as our society's emphasis on individual responsibility has decreased.  To end anti-liberty legislation, we're going to have to heavily re-emphasize a "buck stops here" approach with regard to personal behavior, and block politically-correct blame-shifting efforts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up