Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: If NH is picked ....  (Read 13824 times)

Joey

If NH is picked ....
« on: April 19, 2003, 11:29:10 am »

Assuming NH is picked, and assuming we have people who would actually be very committed in relocating, what AREA of NH would everyone move to?

I can't really say anything, because I have to make sure I can secure a job and a place to stay (ahem).

But ya, the mountains look pretty, but wouldn't the goal be to live right around Concord or Manchester?

You people do realize, don't you, that if this FSP thing were really successful, we'd be branded as a cult?

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
  • I smoked out the sheriff and his deputy! : )
Re:If NH is picked ....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2003, 01:55:47 pm »

If NH is picked I'll probably have to rent a room from some noble, altruistic Libertarian.... The housing prices are way to expensive for many Libertarians.

So who wants to rent me a room? Maynard I'm looking in your direction...
Get up, stand up, stand up for your right. Don't give up the fight.

Rearden

• FSP Participant
  • We're supposed to be activists, remember?
    • Free State Project
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2003, 02:37:28 pm »

Various parts of the state have very different housing costs.  I'd hope to be able to afford an apartment in the Seacoast region at first, while I save some money and learn the political lay of the land.  Eventually, probably somewhere in the southern part of the state, yet affordable.  Perhaps Keene.  

I'm a city person, and so would probably not want to live north of Concord, as the land up that way gets progressively rural.  Cheap housing abounds in Manchester.

Keith
Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
  • I just *love* it when Hank and Dagny brainstorm!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2003, 05:17:39 pm »

The LPNH is working on a list of recommended towns for FSP in-migration and we hope to release it soon. For those who are worried about jobs and housing costs, I'd suggest focusing on the Manchester area. The greatest number and variety of jobs can be found there and housing costs are more reasonable than in the seacoast area or along the southern border.

A former NH resident and FSP member who is longing to return to NH from Arizona will be starting a Yahoo group for networking on jobs and living accomodations in NH. I will post the address here when it is available.
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

http://www.scienceofgettingrich.net

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 12:48:05 pm »

A new Yahoo group has been formed to assist those who wish to relocate to New Hampshire. Click here to find out more:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/moving_to_nh/

:)
If everyone were rich there would be no need for government assistance. If everyone were rich all children could attend private schools. If everyone were rich, government would become superfluous. Read the free e-book at this site:

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 08:15:59 pm »

If NH is picked I'll probably have to rent a room from some noble, altruistic Libertarian.... The housing prices are way to expensive for many Libertarians.
Are Libertarians poorer than other groups? Why?

So who wants to rent me a room? Maynard I'm looking in your direction...
We are discussing group housing arrangements for low-income porcupines at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fspsingles/

Karl

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 09:59:30 pm »

Are Libertarians poorer than other groups? Why?

I am perplexed by the belief that NH is somehow "unaffordable."  NH, like all the candidate states, has a wide selection of housing for purchase and rent and just about every price level.  Do incoming residents plan on not having jobs or something?

This points to one of the single biggest disconnects I've percieved in this forum.  There is a whole lot of gung-ho about moving and creating strategic plans for placing people throughout the state, and/or liberating a single county with 2,000 people, etc.  Such schemes are completely impractical given the reality that most members need decent jobs, and the location of these jobs will largely dictate where they can practically reside.  I suspect many here are college students and young adults that don't fully appreciate the demands that full time employment will have, nor on how hard it will be to find quality jobs.

Your job/career will take at least as much of your time/energy as your activism.  It will because you need to eat and pay rent.  You need to have a little fun too.

My biggest fear is that Wyoming advocates will have convinced our young members that they ought to choose Wyoming on the basis of technically-sound, but practically unsound criteria.  Wyoming is, absolutely, the best chance of success for the FSP, so long as we're not dealing with reality.  But our young members, many who will be our most energetic activists, need places where they can start careers, and where they are near more young adults.  If we choose Wyoming, it will disenfranchise many people under the age of 25, many of whom will find it unlivable.

I imagine my life in Wyoming consists of wasting two hours each day driving to/from Cheyenne and my job in Fort Collins (the only place I have any real hope of finding a job) upon the desolate southeast Wyoming landscape, and I get to pay Colorado's 4.63% income tax to boot.  That doesn't sound like freedom to me! ???
« Last Edit: April 21, 2003, 10:01:21 pm by Karl »

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 10:12:47 pm »

Uh oh. Maybe you have a point. No, I'm split between NH and WY! I freaking out!!!  :-\

This freakout ignores the fact that I'm to wosey to actually sign up.  :-[

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 07:22:47 am »

I am perplexed by the belief that NH is somehow "unaffordable."  
Me, too! I am getting rich by living in New Hampshire. I am 44 years old and am on track to retire by 50. I cannot imagine why others would not want to come here and share in the bounty. I look at the economic statistics in Wyoming and think "poverty".

Michelle

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2003, 11:04:02 am »

Me, too! I am getting rich by living in New Hampshire. I am 44 years old and am on track to retire by 50. I cannot imagine why others would not want to come here and share in the bounty. I look at the economic statistics in Wyoming and think "poverty".

I'd have to agree. I don't know that we're getting rich living in NH, but I'm perplexed by all the negative cost of living comments people are making. My husband and I are in our mid 30s and we're on track to retire when he is 55 and I'm 52. And no, we didn't have anything handed to us. We started with nothing 15 years ago and worked for what we have now. We rented for a while, but now own a nice home and live a comfortable lifestyle. He works in a "blue collar" position and I run a business out of my home, so it isn't that we have unusually high incomes either. I think that any cost of living issue is more than offset by higher wages (as compared to other parts of the US) and more diversified opportunities.

We both work in jobs that would transfer to any state pretty easily, but not everyone is that lucky. The job market and opportunities don't look that good in Wyoming. I can't imagine what the Wyoming supporters think everyone will do for work.
Please join NHLA today! http://www.nhliberty.org With every new member we gain political weight to support liberty-friendly candidates and promote liberty throughout NH.
Support the Liberty Scholarship Fund. Please make a donation today! http://www.lsfund.org

Joey

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2003, 04:31:10 pm »

I cannot imagine why others would not want to come here and share in the bounty.

Dude, you know my position on the deal; I just don't understand why people aren't frothing at the mouth to MOVE to New Hampshire - I mean, come on, look at the stats, people.

Or heck, look at the photos.

Ladies and gentlemen, I want to be a New England Patriot and cover Nashau Pride games.

libertarian, mind if I uh, stay witch you fo' awhile?

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2003, 09:35:02 pm »

Suddenly, making $11.80 / hr. in Wyoming doesn't sound so bad when you find you can actually support a family on that kind of wage there, so maybe that is poverty according to official statistics, but not in terms of the reality that residents there face.

Will I need to work in a uranium mine to make the $11.80 per hour?

George Reich

• FSP Participant
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2003, 09:38:44 pm »

The manager trainee at Pizza Hut looked to fit the $11.80/ hr. rate the best, not including the health plan and 'free food' benefit.  Probably not as good of pay as the uranium workers get, but a 'fun and friendly work environment' will hopefully compensate in the meantime until they hire you down at the mines.

I cannot wait to tell family and friends about my new $11.80/hour manager trainee position at Pizza Hut. I will make sure to mention the "fun and friendly work environment".

Karl

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2003, 11:12:21 pm »

[...] Wyoming certainly doesn't have as many jobs available as in NH, but the economy is based on much more than mining and like industries, ample opportunities to stay out of poverty for even moderately skilled and talented individuals. [...]

Certainly, Wyoming's mining and drilling industries would eventually employ a good number of free staters, but given that industry's anemic growth, it is likely to satisfy only a small part of the job needs.  Unlike service industries, mining and drilling won't generally be affected by the influx of 20,000 people.

If Wyoming is chosen, many free staters will need to become truly self-sufficient -- they will have to own businesses.  Or, as some members have already announced, take a virtual vow of poverty, and become full-time volunteers.  If one has the stomach for it, this adversity can actually be a big motivater to get something started.  Unfortunately, that adversity is likely to defeat many.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2003, 12:31:54 am by Karl »

Dalamar49

• FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2003, 02:11:16 pm »

At least we would have the soil and the climate to grow our own food in Wyoming. Also I'm sure we could hunt.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up