Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Eagle Mountain House?  (Read 2771 times)

tomwright

What is Eagle Mountain House?
« on: October 11, 2008, 11:34:06 am »

I am finally starting to look at purchasing something in NH. While I am mostly interested in cheap vacant land that I can leave undeveloped and pay low taxes on until I can build, I am also keeping my eyes open for a cheap condo type residence where I could establish residence all at once.

So the on-line R.E. listings always come up with Eagle Mountain House as the cheapest listing.  Yet I can find no other information on it.

What is it? What kind of condo-conversion is it? Is it a full-time residence or a time-share thing?

ny2nh

Re: What is Eagle Mountain House?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 07:51:38 am »

http://www.eaglemt.com/

It's a resort hotel in the Mt. Washington Valley.....maybe it comes up the cheapest because it's showing 1 night's rate vs. a month's rent?

tomwright

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 09:47:01 am »

No, I am talking about listings like these for condo/coop/townhome:
http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?pg=1&cmid=1081023&typ=2&sid=5fad3c606c144f3d8652fd05bbdd6fcc&lid=1091713570&lsn=1&srcnt=19#Detail

It does not seem to indicate it as a rental, but the price says it is a rental. Just wondering if anyone else was curious enough to investigate this.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 10:00:17 am »

No, I am talking about listings like these for condo/coop/townhome:
http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?pg=1&cmid=1081023&typ=2&sid=5fad3c606c144f3d8652fd05bbdd6fcc&lid=1091713570&lsn=1&srcnt=19#Detail

It does not seem to indicate it as a rental, but the price says it is a rental. Just wondering if anyone else was curious enough to investigate this.

It's apparently not a rental.  You're buying a room in an inn that was partially converted to a "condo".  So the price you see -- $4,500 -- is what it costs to buy the room.  There are also 2 bedroom "suites" for a bit more.  It's an interesting idea.  Give them a call and find out what the deal is.  Maybe they intend for the price to be "per year" or some such.  Regardless, that could still be considered a bargain since the per-night cost is around $100 for the rental rooms in the inn.

Heck, I might buy one of those if I like the area.  It would be a "free" place to vacation to in perpetuity.  It would be even nicer if they allowed you to sublet your room when you weren't using it, but I suspect that would not be the case.

tomwright

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 10:04:10 am »

never mind. I found one of the realtors had a virtual tour. These are ski condos, basically just hotel rooms with private bath. No kitchen. You eat in the resort restaurant.

tomwright

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 10:09:06 am »

It's apparently not a rental.  You're buying a room in an inn that was partially converted to a "condo".  So the price you see -- $4,500 -- is what it costs to buy the room.  There are also 2 bedroom "suites" for a bit more.  It's an interesting idea.  Give them a call and find out what the deal is.  Maybe they intend for the price to be "per year" or some such.  Regardless, that could still be considered a bargain since the per-night cost is around $100 for the rental rooms in the inn.

Heck, I might buy one of those if I like the area.  It would be a "free" place to vacation to in perpetuity.  It would be even nicer if they allowed you to sublet your room when you weren't using it, but I suspect that would not be the case.

I was thinking it was a misplaced listing for a vacation rental . We do not have these types of resort things here in NJ, and I have never looked a them when I went to ski areas. So I did not recognize it as such.

I was half hoping it was some sort of really cheap 500 sq ft condo that I could use to set up legal residency all at once. Without at least a separate kitchen, I doubt that would be the case. If I can not change my legal residence to there, I do not think it would be worth the money to me.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 10:12:53 am »

never mind. I found one of the realtors had a virtual tour. These are ski condos, basically just hotel rooms with private bath. No kitchen. You eat in the resort restaurant.

Ok, maybe not so good for a permanent living arrangement.  But I don't see why it wouldn't be enough to establish residency.  And it's possibly an outstanding deal for someone who wants to vacation in the area frequently.  Particularly if you could rent out the room to others when you're not there.

Assuming an average rental price of $75/night, the hotel would only have to book the room for 60 nights in one year to equal the $4,500 selling price of that 1 bedroom unit you mentioned.  I'm guessing that this inn/condo-thingie must be on the decline and not doing much business to consider selling the rooms out one-by-one like that.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 10:20:52 am »

Since these suites are part of a large inn, it seems possible that there might be no separate bill for heat, water, cable, etc.  If you could get a job working at the inn's restaurant, that could eliminate another huge recurring living expense (food).  Imagine: no mortgage, energy bills, water bills, or food bills.   :o   :)

Edit: I should have looked at the listing more carefully...

FEE INCLUDES: Cable, Electric, Heat, Hot Water, Landscaping, Plowing, Recreational, Sewer, Trash, Water

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 02:57:30 pm »

What does the listing mean by fee includes?

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 03:22:35 pm »

What does the listing mean by fee includes?

Probably "condo fee", which is a monthly or yearly fee to cover maintenance, amenities, etc.  Condo fees can be low...or they can be very high.  Unfortunately they're not specified in the listings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up