Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello. I am new to the group and interested.  (Read 4797 times)

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
    • K. Darien Freeheart's Facebook
Re: Hello. I am new to the group and interested.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 10:11:30 pm »

Most typical libertarians believe that freedom must be traded off against equality. Left-libertarians don't.

As someone who also came from the left, and might be considered a left libertarian (voluntaryist and agorist are the terms I use to describe myself) but I've never gotten the impression that equality mattered much to many who call themselves "libertarian", at least on an active and aware level.

There's lots of people with different values. :) Be welcome! We're all on the side of liberty.

WendellBerry

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 10:15:58 pm »

I've never gotten the impression that equality mattered much to many who call themselves "libertarian", at least on an active and aware level.

But that is why there is a distinction for those that self-identify themselves as "left-libertarian", because they believe in "equal liberty for all, special privileges to no one".

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 10:19:20 pm »

I dunno, I never quite fit with either right or left libertarians.  They always seemed to me to be right or left, rather than just being pure freedom lovers.  Who cares if others are different, eh.  They're just people.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 10:27:41 pm »

Either I'm not clear or it's deeply ingrained in me.

Human beings are born free. Either you're not free, or your not human. Saying "equally free" is like specifying the "three-sided triangle". "Equal liberty for all" in my eyes IS liberty for all since freedom stems from innate parts of human nature.

I have to say "equality" is not on my platform though. In fact, I consider inequalities within each individual to be vital to why liberty works. I might blow you out of the water in some things, and you the same to me in different areas. We're not equal, but we're both humans and free.

WendellBerry

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 10:36:40 pm »

Did either of you three who responded to me read the wiki article I cited?

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 10:53:33 pm »

Did either of you three who responded to me read the wiki article I cited?

No.  :-[  :)

Sorry...I probably should've before responding.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

K. Darien Freeheart

• FSP Participant
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 12:34:47 am »

I did, which is why I'm confused.

One of the basic premises defined by left-libertarians is the idea of liberty AND equality. Some take that equality to mean "reapportion wealth".

That concept is anti-thetical to what I believe, a system of beliefs that is heavily based on Sam Konkin's writings, the Tannehill's and Rand. I consider myself a voluntaryist and an agorist, as I said before and I believe that the notions of "equality" as defined in the wiki article.

Either the classification is so broad and includes so much conflict that it's pointless to classify those varying ideologies together in a greater term OR I've simply rejected the reapportionment parts, and have had the odd fate of not having anyone else bring it up who calls themselves an agorist or a voluntaryist.

WendellBerry

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 05:53:41 am »

One of the basic premises defined by left-libertarians is the idea of liberty AND equality. Some take that equality to mean "reapportion wealth".

Well it depends on what your definition of "wealth" is - doesn't it?

Yes, there is a split in left-libertarianism between social (Roderick Long) vs. economic equality (Philippe Van Parijs).

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 01:46:11 pm »

I read it a while back, but it seems like there is more on that page now.  I didn't realize that there was such a policy different between the two--always felt that it was more cultural.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up