Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: want to join and move, but have some Qs  (Read 5820 times)

Pip429

• Volunteer Coordinator
  • Friend of the FSP
want to join and move, but have some Qs
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:29:15 pm »

Hello to all.  I'm not at all sure how to describe what I'm feeling right now.  I've been up all night reading everything I can here.  I've never been actively political, but I came from people who had a real and reasonable problem with the establishment, as they called it.  And I came from people who have and still are falling victim to its power.  I have stories....oh wow, do I have stories.  The more I'm reading about Libertarianism and the FSP, the more I keep saying to myself, "I could be a poster-girl for this movement!"   :D

My family and I are seriously trying to figure out a viable way to make this move.  But we have a unique situation.  My divorce decree prohibits me from living farther than 100 miles radially from here in Indiana unless I or my future husband can a better job and can show cause for betterment of the child's life, etc.....two catches - one:  a better job for me is a no-go as I am disabled and two:  a better job for my future husband is a no-go since I'm a lesbian and am "unlegally" married to another woman.  SO!  We have some questions and are crossing all our fingers that a way can be found.  Honest to god, we thought we were the only ones who thought in these ways and we've been feeling so helpless and hopeless....and as it turns out, so ignorant to so much!  I'm not a religious person, but for lack of a better phrase, bless you people for being here!

Could anyone offer an information on NH disability?  Not the stats, but actual real experiences dealing with that dept? 

Also, any information on NH's homeschooling requirements.  I homeschooled both our kids until the year before last.  Our daughter wants to stay and graduate at her HS here, that's in two years.  Our son will be 14 then and he has no qualms about getting outta here, but I'd like to resume homeschooling him through to GED status.  Here in Indiana, the state requires you pass the GED and that you keep time schedule records.  When I became registered, it didn't even require the hour logs.  There is no set curriculum or even guidelines out here and I was truly glad for such freedoms and give most of the praise to the Amish here for keeping the option of homeschooling in the forefront of Hoosier minds.  My only issue with Indiana's homeschooling base is that that very base is religiously driven and most communal-types activities, etc were of religious lean.  Being a gay family, this is a thorny issue. 

For now, just one more question - can someone give an average monthly cost of living in the regions of NH?

Any help in these areas would be most appreciated.  My wife and I are looking forward to joining the FSP if we can.

Many thanks!
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~ Lao Tsu

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: want to join and move, but have some Qs
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:40:13 pm »

I'm a little confused by one thing.  You said that you're basically stuck with the 100-mile-radius stipulation in your divorce decree, but then you're saying you might want to move in 2 years when your son is 14?  I probably missed something...maybe you're just running "what if" scenarios, hoping you'll resolve the issue with the divorce decree?

As for showing that NH will provide a better life for your kid, that should be easy.  NH is consistently ranked in the best few states for quality of life, health, crime, etc.  Here's one fairly comprehensive study that put NH as the #1 state for the well being of children: http://www.kidscount.org/datacenter/summary/summary4.jsp

Indiana was 32nd on that list.   :o  Not saying that this particular list is the end-all-be all, but quality of life indicators for NH are consistently at or near the top across the board.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:47:52 pm »

BTW, here's the list reasons of "why NH is so great" from the fsp page:

http://www.freestateproject.org/nhinfo

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:57:25 pm »

Hello to all.  I'm not at all sure how to describe what I'm feeling right now.  I've been up all night reading everything I can here.  I've never been actively political, but I came from people who had a real and reasonable problem with the establishment, as they called it.  And I came from people who have and still are falling victim to its power.  I have stories....oh wow, do I have stories.  The more I'm reading about Libertarianism and the FSP, the more I keep saying to myself, "I could be a poster-girl for this movement!"   :D

My family and I are seriously trying to figure out a viable way to make this move.  But we have a unique situation.  My divorce decree prohibits me from living farther than 100 miles radially from here in Indiana unless I or my future husband can a better job and can show cause for betterment of the child's life, etc.....two catches - one:  a better job for me is a no-go as I am disabled and two:  a better job for my future husband is a no-go since I'm a lesbian and am "unlegally" married to another woman.  SO!  We have some questions and are crossing all our fingers that a way can be found.  Honest to god, we thought we were the only ones who thought in these ways and we've been feeling so helpless and hopeless....and as it turns out, so ignorant to so much!  I'm not a religious person, but for lack of a better phrase, bless you people for being here!

Could anyone offer an information on NH disability?  Not the stats, but actual real experiences dealing with that dept? 

Also, any information on NH's homeschooling requirements.  I homeschooled both our kids until the year before last.  Our daughter wants to stay and graduate at her HS here, that's in two years.  Our son will be 14 then and he has no qualms about getting outta here, but I'd like to resume homeschooling him through to GED status.  Here in Indiana, the state requires you pass the GED and that you keep time schedule records.  When I became registered, it didn't even require the hour logs.  There is no set curriculum or even guidelines out here and I was truly glad for such freedoms and give most of the praise to the Amish here for keeping the option of homeschooling in the forefront of Hoosier minds.  My only issue with Indiana's homeschooling base is that that very base is religiously driven and most communal-types activities, etc were of religious lean.  Being a gay family, this is a thorny issue. 

For now, just one more question - can someone give an average monthly cost of living in the regions of NH?

Any help in these areas would be most appreciated.  My wife and I are looking forward to joining the FSP if we can.

Many thanks!

Yay, Indiana. I used to live in Terre Haute!

Divorce decrees can often be modified. You'll need to check on the procedure in your location for doing that. It can be tricky sometimes but it's not necessarily impossible. Especially if you can get consent of the father. However, if you're ultimately going to deprive a father of his minor children, expect a fight...

Pip429

• Volunteer Coordinator
  • Friend of the FSP
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:00:05 pm »

Your 'what if' scenario explanation is correct.  For example, if by moving to NH I get a cut in my disability $$, that would not be helpful.  I am trying to gain as much as I can in info so that I can feel confident filing for a provision on the decree.

HelmholtzWatson

• Next 1000
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:46:29 pm »

I'm in Indiana too, by the way, (Bloomington) and I think I'm going to try to revive and head up the local FSP group. So if you're in central or southern Indiana, and you'd like to be involved in promoting the FSP or in campaigning for liberty, let me know.  ;)

Pip429

• Volunteer Coordinator
  • Friend of the FSP
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 10:44:51 pm »

That sounds great, but alas, I'm up north near the MI border.  :-[

HelmholtzWatson

• Next 1000
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 11:01:19 pm »

That sounds great, but alas, I'm up north near the MI border.  :-[

oh well. On the bright side, you've got a shorter drive to NH  :)

Pip429

• Volunteer Coordinator
  • Friend of the FSP
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 11:04:34 pm »

According to mapquest, 15 hrs. 1 min. !   :D  I'm already trying to figure a way for us to come check out NH and I'm elated with the knowledge that this would be a fantastic reason for a road trip (Our family loves road trips!)

Rebel

• FSP Participant
  • FSP Expat atm
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 12:01:30 am »

Depending on how close to the border of Mich you are, I could possibly be of service. I've seen NH and have met many activists--they are great. I'm not so sure about your disability claim, but I can give you  a decent perspective of NH.  I live near Ann Arbor so if ya need some info or a talking-buddy let me know (PM me).

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 08:52:03 pm »

Welcome! ;D

My family and I are seriously trying to figure out a viable way to make this move.  But we have a unique situation.  My divorce decree prohibits me from living farther than 100 miles radially from here in Indiana unless I or my future husband can a better job and can show cause for betterment of the child's life, etc.....two catches - one:  a better job for me is a no-go as I am disabled and two:  a better job for my future husband is a no-go since I'm a lesbian and am "unlegally" married to another woman.

New Hampshire has civil unions. Would that count?

Homeschooling is hugely popular with freestaters, many of whom are not at all doing so for religious reasons. There is virtually no regulation currently, and it was a freestater who got the deregulation bill passed.

Pip429

• Volunteer Coordinator
  • Friend of the FSP
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 09:43:38 pm »

On one hand, civil unions in NH would help tremendously for us as residents once we're there.  On the other hand, no judge in this country will recognize that as anything of weight since that union wouldn't be accepted as valid in IN.  It could quite possibly hurt me to even mention.  My wife tried to have her name changed to mine, twice, both time thrown out by the judge for miniscule issues....all of this charged to us since we can't afford a lawyer who could have gotten us around those BS issues....we couldn't afford to try again, still can't.  Oddly enough, having the same name would be grease to the machine of some areas, such as family member visits at hospitals.  (I was being sarcastic....does anyone have a sarcastic smiley to insert here?)

I'm thrilled to see such homeschooling pools.  One issue cleared!  That much closer!!  Thanks so much for the information  :)

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 10:48:09 pm »

I'm in Indiana too, by the way, (Bloomington)
I lived in B-town for a year. Then 6 months in Gnaw Bone (god don't ya love south-central Indiana) and then a few years in Columbus.

B-town was the best. I love that city.
Is Bear's Beanery still showing movies?
We need some Porc to set up a business like that one.
Beer, pub grub, and indie movies. Awesome.

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 09:09:43 am »

On one hand, civil unions in NH would help tremendously for us as residents once we're there.  On the other hand, no judge in this country will recognize that as anything of weight since that union wouldn't be accepted as valid in IN.

Technically, they have no option but to recognize it.  Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution requires each state to give full faith and credit to the acts of any other state.

Not that you should expect them to follow their own rules, but you could argue such a situation, if you were so-inclined.

You could also get a legal marriage to a man who knew the score and wanted to help out.  The judge doesn't have to know more than the fact that you have the piece of paper.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

Pip429

• Volunteer Coordinator
  • Friend of the FSP
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 01:46:55 pm »

Challenging the issue is exactly what I would like to do, but jail and kids don't mix....if we had a base of people to aid us, I would fight it in a heartbeat. 

Wanna get married?  ;)  Kidding.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up