Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Definition of Liberty  (Read 4715 times)

EJ

• Democracy is 2 wolves & a sheep deciding dinner
The Definition of Liberty
« on: August 07, 2002, 11:39:22 am »

Liberty:1a. The condition of being free from restriction or control. b. The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing. c. The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor. See synonyms at freedom. 2. Freedom from unjust or undue governmental control. 3. A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or interference: the liberties protected by the Bill of Rights. 4a. A breach or overstepping of propriety or social convention. Often used in the plural. b. A statement, attitude, or action not warranted by conditions or actualities: a historical novel that takes liberties with chronology. c. An unwarranted risk; a chance: took foolish liberties on the ski slopes. 5. A period, usually short, during which a sailor is authorized to go ashore.

Is this a definition that you truly believe in?  Will you be willing to stand and truly support the concept of liberty, or is there another definition of liberty that you feel is more appropriate for what the Free State is trying to accomplish?

What does Liberty really mean to you?

EJ

Red October

• Revolution!
Re:The Definition of Liberty
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2002, 12:03:55 pm »

Liberty:1a. The condition of being free from restriction or control. b. The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing. c. The condition of being physically and legally free from confinement, servitude, or forced labor. See synonyms at freedom. 2. Freedom from unjust or undue governmental control. 3. A right or immunity to engage in certain actions without control or interference: the liberties protected by the Bill of Rights. 4a. A breach or overstepping of propriety or social convention. Often used in the plural. b. A statement, attitude, or action not warranted by conditions or actualities: a historical novel that takes liberties with chronology. c. An unwarranted risk; a chance: took foolish liberties on the ski slopes. 5. A period, usually short, during which a sailor is authorized to go ashore.

Is this a definition that you truly believe in?  Will you be willing to stand and truly support the concept of liberty, or is there another definition of liberty that you feel is more appropriate for what the Free State is trying to accomplish?

What does Liberty really mean to you?

EJ

Freedom to me means knowing the difference between freedom and absurdity.

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2002, 12:12:40 pm »

Freedom to me means knowing the difference between freedom and absurdity.

Knowing or being able to act on that knowledge?

People should be free to act as absurdly as they want, so long as they aren't harming the person or property of a nonconsenting other.

There will, of course, be social consequences.  Some may shun them or refuse to do business with them.  Those people have a right to do just that if it pleases them.
Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."

Matthew

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2002, 12:17:14 pm »

I think REAL freedom is being able to do WHATEVER you want.  I don;t think not harming other people has to do with MY freedom.  That doesn't make it right and that doesn't mean it should be legal to harm others.
"And if Donald Trump delivered the mail, you could send letters for 12 cents, and also gamble with the stamps." Howard Stern

Reaper

• FSP Participant
  • Atheism cures religious terrorism!
    • The Reaper's Den
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2002, 08:06:05 pm »

It would seem to me that starting from the axiom of property rights, those arguments are invalid.

Reaper
Proud member of the FSP's lunatic fringe!

"If we turn from battle because there is little hope of victory, where then would valor be?  Let it ever be the goal that stirs us, not the odds."
Pages: [1]   Go Up