Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cha Cha Flexible Work Online  (Read 14444 times)

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
Cha Cha Flexible Work Online
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:27:17 pm »

Cha Cha is a well-known corporation. Their business is doing web searches for people via text messaging. You can text a question to 242242 (chacha) and get an answer that was found by one of their agents by searching the Internet. It's free and profit is from advertising. You can be one of those agents. I'm doing it now and it's pretty straight-forward. You need to be 18 and have a computer and Internet connection and you should have decent writing skills and be good at Internet searches. It's not a lot of money but it's very flexible and the kind of thing you can do anywhere and you can supplement income from steady work.

Downsides off the top of my head:
* It's not a lot of money for the time compared to a more standard job. This is offset some by the fact that they don't withhold. You get paid 20 cents a question as long as you do at least 200 questions a week. Otherwise 10 cents per. You get 20 cents a question if you have top guide status. Each week you get at least 200 questions done and also meet some basic criteria for completion and accuracy, you become a top guide the next week and start making 20 cents per. You need to maintain that status each week or you revert back to 10 per the next week. It's not hard but you do need to make an effort for quality. I made top guide after my first week.
* Of the two methods of getting paid, one is very prompt but incurs extra transaction fees and the other is only once a month by direct deposit. I chose the latter. I'm frugal.

Upsides off the top of my head:
* Starting is easy. The application process is pretty straight-forward and non-intrusive. You can probably be a guide in less than a week.
* It's VERY flexible. Work whenever you want and wherever you want. Just have a computer and access to the Net. Work for 15 mins and stop. Log back on in the middle of the night and work 2 hours. Whatever you feel like. Do it where you're comfortable. Have a laptop? Do it at the coffee shop.
* It's not hard work. It's kind of fun actually.
* You work as an independent contractor. They don't withhold. You file your own taxes (or don't- up to you).
* You get good at finding things online and learn interesting trivia.
* You can start where ever you are now and continue when you move to NH while looking for other work. It can help fill in the gaps.
* Because it's flexible, you can do it in addition to other work and work it into your schedule. You could do it full time and switch to part-time when you find better work.

If you're interested, email me or PM me here and I'll get you more info. I'd appreciate if you put me down as a referral. I think I may get a bonus. I'll give you the right contact info to use for that.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 10:50:13 am by dalebert »

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
Re: Cha Cha Flexible Work Online
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:27:29 pm »

I have asked what is the Free State Project a few times...
Figured.. you never know who will read it and look into it more.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 08:19:36 am »

I have asked what is the Free State Project a few times...
Figured.. you never know who will read it and look into it more.

That's not a bad idea. It's kind of a tiny bit of free advertising.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 10:02:17 am »

If you ask a question of ChaCha on your cell, do you start getting spam text messages?
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 11:51:41 am »

If you ask a question of ChaCha on your cell, do you start getting spam text messages?

Good question. This is what their FAQ says:

Q: Will my personal information be shared?

A: Your privacy is very important to us. We use your personal information only to enhance your use of ChaCha. ChaCha does not rent, sell, or share your information. For a complete policy on privacy with ChaCha, please visit http://answers.chacha.com/?page_id=52

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 10:54:20 am »

Cha Cha has gotten really busy since I started. Much of the time the questions come in immediately when you complete the previous one. In fact, the only way I've been able to log out is to kill my browser with Ctrl-Alt-Del sometimes.  :o Right now you can only switch to "Away" mode or logout between questions but they're supposed to be working on changing that. They haven't had this problem before.

I made an update to how the pay works in the original post. I had a misunderstanding based on what was told to me. Basically you start out at 10 cents a question and then as long as you get at least 200 questions done and met some basic quality standards, your status changes to top guide for the next week and you make 20 cents a question. You have to maintain your quality or you'll revert back.

margomaps

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 11:05:13 am »

This is a neat idea.  On average, how long do you figure it takes you to answer a question?

Edit: n/m, I see it on the FAQ now.  "Guide pay currently averages $3 - $9 per hour"

So each question probably takes around 1-2 minutes each to answer for most people, on average.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:12:31 am by margomaps »

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 07:14:56 pm »

I have to be honest and let people know that I can't really give this my personal stamp of approval as I've chosen to stop doing it. That doesn't mean it won't work for you. My first week, I made top guide and started making 20 cents a question. The second week, my quality was 94%, 1% lower than what I needed to make top guide and continue getting 20 cents so now I'm back down to 10 each this week, which is basically slave wages which I'm not willing to continue doing. You get a quality control report for specific questions that they feel don't meet the criteria but I can't make much sense of many of them and what's supposedly wrong with my answers. To be fair, there is a process for contesting them, but the process seems more tedious than I care to deal with.

So, I'm just sharing my personal take on it. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I continued to present it to FSPers as a wonderful opportunity when I've decided to stop doing it myself. It may work better for you, however.

Michael J Shaffer

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 09:10:31 pm »

Dalebert...
 Even tho it appears the Cha Cha thing has its drawbacks, I applaud you for the effort. I think what kinda stalls some folks from coming to NH is apprehensions about getting into financial trouble before they can get established. I don't recall at the moment if you've made the move yet,(I'm still pretty new to the board!) but here's a thought. If somebody with "boots on the ground" could scout the various temps for starter jobs and could post the pay rates it might give intenders more of an idea of what to expect and how they could budget. You can't get much info scouting these types of positions from afar cause they usually don't mention the very thing that's important... How much does it pay?
 Just an idea...
 I was thinking if we had somebody in each town where we had presence (Manchester, Keene, Nashua, Seabrooke, etc,) that could maybe get an "inside" at any of the temp agencies it could be very morale boosting to people contemplating the move. Example..I once exercised a wild hair and decided to go to Bellingham, WA for a reason I won't explain. It was about 1500 mi from where I was at the time. I figured what the hey I got enough to get there, a little extra beyond that. Surely I'll pick up a service industry job or something to pay the rent till I get to know my way around. But I stuck an ace up my sleeve just in case. I knew this lady that worked at Manpower, so I got her to call out there and talk to somebody at that office to make sure when I arrived I had something to run with. It worked really well. Actually, I only worked that for a month till I scored a good job. Some agencies might even welcome an arrangement like that, figuring they'll get first dibs on the new folks coming in cause folks new to town tend to be more dependable than locals.
Just brainstormin'....

Michael
"Be friendly to liberty, neutral to all else."--A Wise Lady

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 10:10:44 pm »

Michael good idea.

(dale is in NH! over a year now!)

Michael start a thread with just that idea.
Also you might want to join the FSP doers yahoo list and post it.... maybe we can get one volunteer per town like you mentioned.

(and welcome!)

Michael J Shaffer

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 10:30:52 pm »

Dreepa...
 Thanx. Which board on the forum do you think this would best fit?
"Be friendly to liberty, neutral to all else."--A Wise Lady

dalebert

• FSP Participant
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 10:33:26 pm »

It is a good idea and probably deserves it's own thread. I'm sure lots of people don't read this thread anymore.

freedomroad

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 10:11:27 am »

There goes my job hopes in NH.  Now what am I gonna do :(

Pat McCotter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 11:14:13 am »

I'm in the registration phase of this right now. I will keep folks updated here on how things go.

My next step is to take the Simulation test.
Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 06:18:46 pm »

It would be nice if they're website would work.  I tried to do the training and it wouldn't let me log in...every other page shows up as not responding and the others have a link that says "if the page isn't working, click here."  I click there and then that page doesn't load.  Is it always like this?  >:(
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up