Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voting Requirements?  (Read 2178 times)

Luck

• FSP Participant
Voting Requirements?
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:46:35 pm »

- I looked up NH voting requirements and I think it said a person needs 2 forms of id. to vote. I don't remember if it mentioned proof of residence. Is that a requirement to register to vote? If proof of residence is required, what constitutes proof? Would an affidavit from a registered voter be proof?
- Is FSP mainly about getting people to vote for pro-liberty candidates in NH? Or is it mainly about getting the NH voters to accept pro-liberty ideals? Or something else?
- If the first is the case, people could move to NH briefly, vote, then return to their previous residences.
- If the second is the case, people could visit NH to speak to voters or attend rallies etc, then return home.
- To make it worthwhile to move to NH, it seems there should be important political things to be involved in at least once a week, but I get the impression there's not all that much to do there, unless one is a volunteer for an activist pro-liberty organization. Are there enough pro-liberty organizations who need volunteers on a weekly basis to be able to use thousands of volunteers? If not, then why not ask pro-liberty people to come to NH just to vote and or to persuade NH voters to support pro-liberty causes?

jrod

Re: Voting Requirements?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:50:51 pm »

If I understand correctly, the FSP is just trying to get people to New Hampshire who are themselves pro-liberty. From there, you can do whatever, seems like some work within the system, and some are going the Thoreau route.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 07:04:27 pm »

- To make it worthwhile to move to NH, it seems there should be important political things to be involved in at least once a week, but I get the impression there's not all that much to do there, unless one is a volunteer for an activist pro-liberty organization. Are there enough pro-liberty organizations who need volunteers on a weekly basis to be able to use thousands of volunteers? If not, then why not ask pro-liberty people to come to NH just to vote and or to persuade NH voters to support pro-liberty causes?

There is enough to do even if 30K moved.
You need not be involved in political campaigns if you don't want to.
There is PLENTY TO DO.
If you get to NH and have nothing to do .... just ask I am sure that you will get requests from 20 people on 20 different projects.
Some might just be social invites and nothing to do with 'the movement'. 

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:55:05 pm »

- Is FSP mainly about getting people to vote for pro-liberty candidates in NH? Or is it mainly about getting the NH voters to accept pro-liberty ideals? Or something else?

It's that and more.  There are so many things that are impossible to do without a critical mass of people.  Voting is one aspect, running for office is another, the social ripples that a critical mass of libertarians make is another.  Then there's the fact that we've been super-successful at recruiting pro-liberty candidates and will probably be successful at getting them to win their primaries (which is half the battle).  There's the social aspect, the "idea machine" aspect of being around people like you...I could go on and on. 

I can tell you that there is WAY more than one thing to do per week.  I'm concerned that the impression that there's not much to do is there.  Take a look at the calendar on the NHFree fourm or the NHliberty forum.  That only covers half of it.  Literally, since we've moved, there's been more to do than we can handle.  You actually have to pick and choose at this point, which is really cool.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:46:29 pm »

- I looked up NH voting requirements and I think it said a person needs 2 forms of id. to vote. I don't remember if it mentioned proof of residence. Is that a requirement to register to vote? If proof of residence is required, what constitutes proof? Would an affidavit from a registered voter be proof?

What’s required is proof of identity and proof of residence. Since there is no legal requirement to possess government-issued ID, and you have an absolute right to vote,* they have to accept such things.

* New Hampshire is actually one of the few remaining States that doesn’t deprive ex-cons (otherwise known as, those people who have the strongest interest in voting the current bums out of office) of the right to vote.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:02:04 pm »

* New Hampshire is actually one of the few remaining States that doesn’t deprive ex-cons (otherwise known as, those people who have the strongest interest in voting the current bums out of office) of the right to vote.

If you're convicted of a Class A felony, you have to wait 10 years from the last day of your sentence to apply to get your rights restored, and it's not a guaranteed thing.  Class B felonies are a 5 year wait.  If you're denied your application, you can apply again every three years. 

RSA 651:5

Interesting tidbit.  Once a criminal conviction has been annulled, it is actually treated as if it never happened at all.  In fact, it's a crime to disclose the past conviction of another person of a now-annulled crime.

I'm not a lawyer.  The above is just my opinion of what the statute says and shouldn't be relied upon.  If you want legal advice or information, get a lawyer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:06:20 pm by sjhipple »
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:48:49 pm »

If you're convicted of a Class A felony, you have to wait 10 years from the last day of your sentence to apply to get your rights restored, and it's not a guaranteed thing.  Class B felonies are a 5 year wait.  If you're denied your application, you can apply again every three years. 

RSA 651:5

New Hampshire doesn’t bar felons from voting though—only actual prison inmates, according to this chart. There’s probably nothing explicit in the RSAs about this, of course, since we’re talking about something the State doesn’t prohibit.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 12:16:29 am »

Ahhh

JAC

• Amor Fati.
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 01:48:02 am »

I registered to vote with only a proof of residence and a copy of my birth certificate and my social security card.  I might have shown them my high school ID, since it's the only picture ID I have, but that's not very authoritative so I doubt it made a difference.  Either way, it's easy to register here, and you can vote as soon as you do, even if it's the day of the election.  So hurry up and get to NH to help us out in the primary!  ;D  Rooms are easy to find if you need one.

There's TONS to do.  Tomorrow I'm going to contact the John Stephen for Congress campaign and volunteer for them - perhaps make phone calls, write letters to the edit, or do literature drops - as well as the John McCain campaign (not that I agree with McCain on much, but just to get some campaigning experience under my belt).  On Saturday there is a literature drop occurring for one of our local FSPers running for state representative, so I'll be volunteering for that as well.

Trust everyone here who says there's a lot to do.  Maybe you have a particular issue that you feel is the most important.  There's probably a group working on that issue already and you can easily get involved with them.  There is A LOT of work to be done in NH to ensure "liberty in our lifetime", and there's many different avenues you can take to do said work.  Just choose what interests you and you'll find others who are willing to help. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything