Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Work for a recent college graduate  (Read 7421 times)

jrod

Work for a recent college graduate
« on: August 25, 2008, 06:35:46 pm »

Hi, I recently graduated college, with a bachelors, and was looking to move to NH. I was up there for Operation Live Free or Die, and enjoy pretty much everything about that state, and would move right away if it wasn't for the work prospect.

I haven't held a real job, just part time work. Nor do I have a useful degree (political science). Does anyone know about any bottom-floor jobs in the main cities (Manchester/Nashua/Concord)? I guess having no prior experience is a boon and a bane.

I'm not above working at Dunkin Donuts or something for the transition either, I'd just prefer something a little better paying.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:38:50 pm by jrod »

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
Re: Work for a recent college graduate
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:11:09 pm »

Nor do I have a useful degree (political science).

Perhaps one of the many ongoing campaigns by pro-liberty candidates would find that degree useful and hire you?

Brettp76

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 09:05:12 pm »

If you haven't held a real job you might as well make the move now. Even in this awful economy you can easily find a job to get you by (if you live cheaply) while you figure out what you want to do long term. With a cell phone, internet access, and perhaps some caffeine, you could probably apply for 20-30 local jobs in a day and be fielding calls for interviews within a week or less. A bachelor's degree in anything will still help.

Figure out your city and housing situation first and then just get here. You'll soon have a job and be able to contribute to an endless supply of political/philosophical activities.
"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:58:21 pm »

Good advice above.  There seems to be nothing holding you back where you are so now would be the perfect time to move.  Work with your school's career services office to see what kinds of jobs you can get with a poli sci degree.  I imagine there are jobs you could get that aren't in your field, but want a bachelor's degree in something.

Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

jrod

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 10:09:32 pm »

Well I've only got 700 to my name, is that enough to make the move right now? Isn't there a PorcManor there to help people moving in before they find a longterm apartment?

I know for sure I'd be living in Manchester. The biggest city, and close to Concord and Nashua if I needed to work at those places.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:38:11 pm by jrod »

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 10:44:40 pm »

When I contacted Ron Helwig about his porcmanor in Deerfield (close to Concord), he said he could rent me half a room (I'd be sharing with another porc) for $350/mo.  PorcManor.com lists other rental opportunities. 

Do you expect things to get easier to make the move in the future?
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

jrod

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:55:07 pm »

Easier? Not really, I'd probably just get a little job to raise money to move, which I would probably do if I moved to NH right now anyways.

Porcmanor's site is being a little funky on me at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 10:56:40 pm by jrod »

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:20:02 pm »

Actually, I've got a place in Seabrook, and I let new movers defer rent until they land a job.  If you were willing to take the small room and do landscaping and what not, I could let you defer for up to two months, even.

The household here is meant mainly for women and couples, but I originally set up the place so that potential movers could become actual movers.  There are plenty of entry level jobs around Seabrook to tide you over until you find something in your field.  It's too bad you didn't get a degree in engineering.  Superior Controls down the street is hiring, and they're only a three minute walk from my house.

Anyway, PM if you're willing to take a small room or what have you.  I may end up with an empty room otherwise.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

AncapAgency

• FSP Participant
  • First 1000 Member--MOVED!
    • The Ancap Agency
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 08:04:46 am »

I offer a free market casual labor service, that you could work odd jobs for.  I can't promise you a lot of money, but it would be something--and there's no paperwork or taxes or anything of that sort for you to deal with.  If you have a reliable vehicle, I have at least one job you can do one week in four that pays $9/hr plus mileage.  I know there are several other odd jobs I could probably link you up with--several working for porcupines providing general labor for construction and renovations and demolitions and such.

If you'd like to go the "above ground" route, I can recommend a good temp service in the Manch/Concord area.

The Ancap Agency  http://www.ancapagency.com

Resources - Solutions - Alternatives

Mediation--Casual Labor--Security Consulting--Firearms Training--General Services

ny2nh

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:57:44 am »

Since you have a poly-sci degree, I would suggest that you move here now and find a ho-hum job to make ends meet and volunteer on a campaign. It will give you some experience to put on your resume that is related to your degree. It will also give you some local references.

I think Alec has rooms in Manchester and they're not all that expensive.

Where are you coming from? Do you have a car? I would think that having a car would make it far easily and more likely to find a quick job.

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 09:55:03 am »

Since you have a poly-sci degree, I would suggest that you move here now and find a ho-hum job to make ends meet and volunteer on a campaign. It will give you some experience to put on your resume that is related to your degree. It will also give you some local references.

I think Alec has rooms in Manchester and they're not all that expensive.

Where are you coming from? Do you have a car? I would think that having a car would make it far easily and more likely to find a quick job.

Very good advice, NY2NH.  You should post here more often.

jrod

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 10:13:59 am »

I'll be coming from VA, and with a car.

McDuck

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 10:16:05 pm »

Nor do I have a useful degree (political science).

My political science degree saved me $7 on my car insurance renewal.   ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 10:18:42 pm by McDuck »

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 10:19:55 pm »

3 good posts in a row:
MAX
ANCAP
NY2NH

All with good advice, housing and a job.

I would take Max up on his offer and then ANCAP.  I am sure that NY2NH can help you join a campaign to work on (or I can)

Welcome home!
Come up before the Nov Elections!

jrod

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 10:00:00 am »

Well, time to kick this plan into second gear then, I appreciate the help, I just have to figure out *when* I'll move.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up