Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the best cities to relocate if I needed to commute to Boston for work?  (Read 9183 times)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org

Well, people here have only been calling a place a "bedroom town" if it's no business and all residential.  Seabrook has enough commercial development for a town 3-4 times its size.

Secondly, I have only referred to Seabrook as "a freetown project."  I've never called it "the freetown project." Manchester could be called "the free city project," but the commute to Mass is awful from there.  Seabrook is 35-45 minutes, vs more than an hour from Manch (because of traffic).  Moreover, Seabrook offers great access to Newburyport, Amesbury, Portsmouth, Portland, and lots of other activities on the coast.

As for cars, I am without one for now, and I still have no trouble getting around.  The Post Orafice, Town Hall, Home Despot, tattoo shops, pawn shops, gas stations, Shaw's, Megalo*Mart, Starbuck's, three Gulp n' Blows, and dozens of other businesses are within a 15 minute walk of my house.  I have easier access to stores within walking of my place here than I did in Manchvegas.  It takes me three minutes to get onto the freeway, instead of 15.  There are more places hiring in walking distance from here than were in Manch. 

Given the fact that winter lows are 5-10 degrees higher here, that taxes are lower and that there are almost no zoning or building codes, I think that Seabrook may be the best place for new people to settle.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant

nuke plant.

Serious? Another great reason for my wife and I to move to Grafton.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

TEBON

I gotta agree with Maxx, I've lived on the 93 side for a while and most of my life in the Seabrook area (95) . . . the coast is preferable for driving into Boston. . .I'd say it's stilll about 40 minutes. .. but the traffic on the 93 side is worth just taking a look at the seacoast.

I'm sure when more free-staters move to Seabrook it will be a force to be reckoned with just as Keene, Manchester and Grafton are. . . and the seacoast has that one thing that a lot of people want that the other places can't offer

a piece of beach that is second to none. . .and Hampton. . .the epicenter of young person attrations in the state.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org

nuke plant.

Serious? Another great reason for my wife and I to move to Grafton.

Okay.  That nuke plant has been keeping statist nuts out for decades.  It's one of the reasons that Seabrook is as proliberty as it is.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant

I take I-93 into Boston 2-3 times a week. It's about 1:15 in the morning commute from Windham, Pelham or Salem. There is ramp work on exits 1, 2, and 3 right now, so I take back roads into Mass. You can shave the time down to 45 minutes by leaving before 6 or after 8. The good news is that the commute home is rarely over 40 minutes. The issue is the number of cars getting in to Boston proper. Heading north, everybody is getting off.

I-93 doesn't get busy until it crosses I-95, so I've never bought the seacoast is faster belief. Expect I-95 (seacoast), I-93 (Salem/Pelham/Windham/Derry), and Rte-3 (Nashua/Hudson) to all have about the same commute time into Boston.

As far as the community feel, the seacoast is younger and hipper, Nashua is very suburbany, Salem has lots of apartments and a main retail strip on Rte-28, Windham, Hudson, and Pelham, are mostly residential communities, with home prices from highest to lowest, respectively. Derry has a mix of retail and a downtown.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org

From Seabrook, I-95 takes you to route 1, which lead right to Boston.  The distance is only about 40 miles to the city limits, which includes very few stoplights and very little traffic.  I've done in 35-45 minutes several times.  Only once has it taken an hour, and that was due to "road work."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up