Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the best cities to relocate if I needed to commute to Boston for work?  (Read 9182 times)

Brian2

I'm a single male, so there needs to be a healthy nearby population of single females, a decent social and arts scene.  Thanks.  :)

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org

I just did the Boston commute today from my place in Seabrook, and it is, of course, the best town to commute to Boston from.  Ironically, it was another Brian who commutes to Boston who first suggested Seabrook to me, and that's one of the reasons I bought a house, here.  BTW, there are now two bedrooms open here, since the three Russian girls are going back home at the end of the month.

I would say Seabrook, then Hampton, and finally anything in the seacoast region.  After that, you have to start looking at Nashua and Salem, whose winters are not quite as mild as Seabrook.  Anyone who commutes to coast Mass should consider Seabrook first, since it's another free town project in the works, and has the lowest tax burden and lowest utilities on the coast.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

mattbarney

• FSP Participant
  • Focused on freedom

How long was your commute from Seabrook.  I'm thinking of moving there, and my wife is worried about it still being too long to Boston, and especially the Logan International Airport

Matt

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity

I'm a single male, so there needs to be a healthy nearby population of single females, a decent social and arts scene.  Thanks.  :)

Obviously you need to go to the house where the Russian girls drop in all the time. :)

lloydbob1

Clearly!

I spent an afternoon in Provincetown in June.  My friend and I went from coffee shop to shop guessing which  Eastern European country the attractive girls were from. ;D

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator

Any town in southern NH near I93 I95 and Rte 3.

Tell you wife....that MHT is MUCH better than Logan.... MUCH.  (and often times better prices.)

Brettp76

It depends on how you're defining Boston and what's more important to you--a local social scene or a shorter commute.

Miles to Downtown Boston (per Google Maps):

Salem/Windham: ~33
Pelham: 35
Nashua/Hudson: 40
Seabrook: 49

Salem is a straight shot South on 93 and is your best bet for quickly getting deep into Boston.

Nashua/Hudson is okay for Boston but much better for commutes North/Northwest of Boston (e.g. Burlington, Lowell, Chelmsford, Billerica, etc).

Pelham (and maybe Hudson) gives you the option of 3 or 93.

Seabrook is best for North Boston and seacoast jobs. 

I would think Nashua has a better social scene than the other commute-friendly options based on its size alone. Nashua is also just 20 minutes from Manchester and has been named by Money Magazine as the Best Place to Live in America.

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute." Ayn Rand

JonM

• First 1000
  • Administrator

I-93 traffic is a lot worse than Route 3 traffic nowadays.  People who like to get up REALLY early go to the Andover train station and take the commuter rail into Boston.  I'm told that parking lot is full by around 7am.  People who sleep in have to go down I-93 to Woburn and take it from there.  128 (I-95) traffic can get pretty nasty as well.  Where you work in Boston has an effect as well.  If you're near North Station where the commuter rail goes, you're good.  It can take half an hour to get to South Station via the subway if your employment is near there.

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org

Mapquest is full of baloney.  I've always hit traffic on 93, and I've only twice hit anything on 95.  My commute to the Boston city line has always been about 35-45 minutes from my house, depending on traffic.  From Manchester, it was always more than one hour, because of the traffic.  Even from Nashua, it seems to take almost an hour when I do it.  You wouldn't think that a little slow down was a big deal, but it's the difference between 70 mph and 20 mph.  You get stuck for 20-30 minutes, and all of a sudden, you have to leave an extra half hour early every day.

My commute down there is not an issue, and Portsmouth is 15-20 minutes, less if there's no traffic.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:18:25 am by maxxoccupancy »
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!

Exeter, Dover, and Portsmouth has train service to Boston.  In the 3 years I lived in Dover I never saw the parking lot full.
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Brian2

The office is located smack-dab in the middle of downtown.  Im going to try to get out there in the next month and check all your suggestions.  Thanks everyone.

McDuck

Obviously you need to go to the house where the Russian girls drop in all the time. :)

Co-signed. 

maxxoccupancy

• fija.org

I have three Russian girls living in my house at the moment.  When they return to Russia, I will actually be getting a replacement.  Seabrook is a great town for the commute to Bahston.  In fact, it's probably the best, and my house is right on the border.  For single women, I think that the seacoast is the best.  The women out here near the ocean seem to me to be the most attractive in the state.

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity

Yeah, those are some pretty attractive Russian girls you have. Too bad I didn't get a chance to talk to them. :)

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.

Maxx ... yours is the only free town project. The one in Grafton doesn't exist. We are just working on our soap factory and nuke plant. You already have one of those. :)

Seabrook is a great place to head down to Boston. I would call it more of a quiet bedroom community. I don't think it is hard to find women anywhere.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up