Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A general warning about Penacook Place  (Read 3524 times)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
A general warning about Penacook Place
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:43:06 pm »

We moved into Penacook Place and it is very nice so far. 

HOWEVER...

For any porcs moving in, I think you might like to know ahead of time that in the lease, there is a provision that disallows any display of guns in the public area that "may alarm other residents."  As you can readily see, that phrase is unbelievably broad.  I pointed out that this was extremely broad, and asked to ad the word "unreasonably" to the clause, noting that open carry is completely legal and shouldn't be cause to kick me out of my apartment.  They refused even that small change.  It was 4:30 at that point and we had porcs showing up at 5:00 to help us move (plus, we had nowhere else to go) so we signed it.  It's only a year. 

You don't have to make the same mistake though.  Any apartments managed by Dolben (website here) have the same lease. 

By the way, the rest of the lease was grossly unfair and tilted very far to the benefit of the apartment company.  I've never seen a lease so lopsided.  That's what I get for not reading it before we set up stuff to move.  Oh well, we'll only be here a year.  Just keep it in mind when you're searching for your apartment.

Will post more advice and comments about the move later.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

NHArticleTen

• FSP Participant
  • Join The Ron Paul Write-In Revolution Today!
    • Adventures In Legal Land
Re: A general warning about Penacook Place
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:10:29 am »

so how'd that go with most move-ins having an element of open carry...

it would be great if someone could get a "virgin" copy of the lease and shred it...and them...on the interwebs...so the search engines would pick it up...

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 09:03:26 pm »

"Make them famous", as our good old buddy John McCain would say.

Glad your move went well otherwise... Welcome!    :)
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:38:56 pm »

If you got "kicked out" for displaying a firearm, would you still be responsible for the rest of the lease?
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:06:37 am »

If you got "kicked out" for displaying a firearm, would you still be responsible for the rest of the lease?

If I remember correctly (it's been a few days), according to the very lopsided and unfair lease that Penacook Place has, I would be responsible for 25% of the remaining lease PLUS any costs they incurred in finding a new tenant INCLUDING the cost of having the empty room until then.  :o

That's not the only way this lease is screwed up either. 
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Porcupine The Godful Heathen

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:07:27 am »

Is this in Manchester?
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." - Einstein

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:47:25 am »

Is this in Manchester?

It's in Concord (map here) in the village of Penacook.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:59:19 pm »

If I remember correctly (it's been a few days), according to the very lopsided and unfair lease that Penacook Place has, I would be responsible for 25% of the remaining lease PLUS any costs they incurred in finding a new tenant INCLUDING the cost of having the empty room until then.  :o

(squint)

What does that mean: "the cost of having the room empty"? Monthly rent until they fill the vacancy--then plus 25% of the remaining lease? Then stack on the cost to find a new tenant? Sounds like they're trying to double dip.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 08:01:25 pm »

(squint)

What does that mean: "the cost of having the room empty"? Monthly rent until they fill the vacancy--then plus 25% of the remaining lease? Then stack on the cost to find a new tenant? Sounds like they're trying to double dip.

I think so. I interpreted that as: paying 100% of the monthly rent while the room is vacant, then the costs for finding a new tenant, then 25% of the monthly rent while the new tenant is living there paying 100% of the monthly rent.

Sounds like they have a pretty good financial motive to find reasons to evict tenants.

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 08:13:47 pm »

(squint)

I think so. I interpreted that as: paying 100% of the monthly rent while the room is vacant, then the costs for finding a new tenant, then 25% of the monthly rent while the new tenant is living there paying 100% of the monthly rent.

Sounds like they have a pretty good financial motive to find reasons to evict tenants.

No doubt Seth would be capable of handling that.

JaqEboy

• the Alternatives Expo
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 02:29:17 pm »

Is this in Manchester?

It's in Concord (map here) in the village of Penacook.

Hey, you're just a few blocks up from some other Porcs that live in an apartment village on Bog Road. You guys ought to look into carpooling to Porc events. I've been pushing eRideShare.com, since it is a set-up system already. You can form a "group" on their site for porcs, which would end up with its own URL, like porc.eRideShare.com. Post if you're driving and would welcome riders (can post what you think would be a fair contribution for gas by the riders). Post also if you are looking for a ride to something.

If someone doesn't go ahead and set that up, I may just go ahead and do it, since it's easy once you've done it before and I have set up a couple of groups already on the eRideShare site.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 12:36:36 pm »

Once again, folks:

DON'T SIGN A LEASE!

When you first move, move in with porcs.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1]   Go Up