Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Several Questions From A 17 Year Old Prospect  (Read 19319 times)

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
Re: Several Questions From A 17 Year Old Prospect
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 06:24:29 pm »

Legislators are private contractors.

Yeah, just like the mafia...

You can hire anyone you want, as long as it is them...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

JAC

• Amor Fati.
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 01:55:34 am »

Not sure what you mean by recognized.  If you mean "prestigious", then look into Dartmouth.  As in ivy-league prestigious.  And probably expensive, unless you get a good scholarship.  UNH (www.unh.edu) is more affordable, and less prestigious than Dartmouth.  It's a good school, and I'm sure you can major in economics/pre-law.
I actually have to go to a community college first, as my grades in high school were terrible, and I can't much afford anything else.  But it is nice to know that there are good universities in NH to attend after community college.  I still have to get a better idea of what the community colleges in NH offer in the way of economics/politics because they all seem to be more geared towards technical degrees.

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 08:07:00 pm »

Welcome!

JAC

• Amor Fati.
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 04:18:37 pm »

I have another question which I hope someone can answer.

http://www.nhliberty.org/files/becoming.pdf

This link says the following: "If there are three seats, the top three vote getters win the nomination and move on to the general election."
And: "Once again, [in the General Election], if there are three seats, the top three vote getters win the seats..."

Am I to understand that a community chooses out of, let's say, 5 people, and if there are two seats available then the top two go?

Because in California our state legislative elections work just like national general elections.  One Democrat, one republican, and perhaps one independent, and only one person can win.  But the impression I am getting from the New Hampshire process is that there are just a group of people on the ballot, each voter chooses one, and the top "vote getters" win the election.  Does this mean that, potentially, 3 or 4 legislators could be representing the same constituents?  In California, it is one Rep. per district of constituents.  But it seems to me that NH has several Reps. per district.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 04:20:22 pm by JAC »

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 04:22:47 pm »

This link says the following: "If there are three seats, the top three vote getters win the nomination and move on to the general election."
And: "Once again, [in the General Election], if there are three seats, the top three vote getters win the seats..."

Am I to understand that a community chooses out of, let's say, 5 people, and if there are two seats available then the top two go?

Because in California our state legislative elections work just like national general elections.  One Democrat, one republican, and perhaps one independent, and only one person can win.  But the impression I am getting from the New Hampshire process is that there are just a group of people on the ballot, each voter chooses one, and the top "vote getters" win the election.  Does this mean that, potentially, 3 or 4 legislators could be representing the same constituents?  In California, it is one Rep. per district of constituents.  But it seems to me that NH has several Reps. per district.

Some districts have multiple representatives, yes.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

JAC

• Amor Fati.
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 04:37:38 pm »

Ah, thank you. :)  I was a tad confused because that's not the way it works in California.  But, then again, we only have 80 representatives for the entire state, haha.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 05:25:40 pm »

One of the nice things about multiple Reps is that generally at least 1 will be a decent pro-liberty person you can talk to about whatever your issue is.

Unless you live in Keene or Concord, that is.
But fortunately a bunch of FSPers are looking to change that, come November  8)

JAC

• Amor Fati.
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 01:44:16 pm »

One of the nice things about multiple Reps is that generally at least 1 will be a decent pro-liberty person you can talk to about whatever your issue is.

It looks to me like I'll end up in Manchester if I go.  Should be running for office by the time I'm 20.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:54:38 am by JAC »

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 10:16:34 pm »

It looks to me like I'll end up in Manchester if I go.  Should be running for office by the time I'm 20.

Move here before November of this year and you’re eligible in 2010. We already have another 19-year-old rep.

JAC

• Amor Fati.
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 03:12:44 pm »

Move here before November of this year and you’re eligible in 2010. We already have another 19-year-old rep.
Yah, that's the plan right now.  If I do end up moving it will be at some point in August, after I turn 18.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 03:45:30 pm »

Cool.  Do you have a landing spot yet?  My house in Seabrook is a good place to stay temporarily and look for work.  You may also be able to score a permanent room here, and there's a pretty libertarian climate amongst the people here.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

JAC

• Amor Fati.
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 04:05:45 pm »

I've actually got a place lined up in Manchester already as I am planning to attend Manchester CC.  But if that doesn't work out I'll get back to you, thanks for the help. :)

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 08:24:26 pm »

Yah, that's the plan right now.  If I do end up moving it will be at some point in August, after I turn 18.

Excellent. ;D

JAC

• Amor Fati.
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 02:46:22 am »

Can anyone tell me how the mass transit system is in New Hampshire?  Can I get around without a car?  Maybe just use a bike, walk, or take the bus.  How about in Manchester specifically?  Thanks.

John Edward Mercier

• Native
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 08:17:57 am »

Manchester more than likely...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up